Muster Drill and Avg Cabin Size

Fishndawg

I've never cruised on HAL before and wondering how the muster drills are conducted. Are they prior to sailaway and do you generally report outside or to one of the lounges or theatres inside.

Also I've seen many references to HAL and indications that their balcony cabins are larger than other lines. Can anyone compare a typical middle category balcony on HAL to lines line Princess, Norwegan or RCCL? I've found them to be very similar except that princess doesn't usually have a sofa.

Drills are held prior to sailaway and near your assigned life boat station. Takes approximately 20 minutes if everyone cooperates. Cannot answer cabin size in comparison to the other cruise lines, but I would think the HAL cabins are larger.

HAL muster drills are always outside, under your lifeboat. It is usually 45 minutes before sailaway.

We have only one RCCL cruise to compare against, but on that one our outside F1 cabin was 125 sq ft, while HAL outside cabins are ordinarily 195 sq ft. When you see a listing for a VA through VF cabin at 249 sq ft, that includes the 54 sq ft balcony.

I've never cruised on HAL before and wondering how the muster drills are conducted. Are they prior to sailaway and do you generally report outside or to one of the lounges or theatres inside.

Also I've seen many references to HAL and indications that their balcony cabins are larger than other lines. Can anyone compare a typical middle category balcony on HAL to lines line Princess, Norwegan or RCCL? I've found them to be very similar except that princess doesn't usually have a sofa.

The boat drill aboard HAL tries to simulate, as closely as possible, what you would experience during an actual emergency. You are asked to don your life jacket and make your way to your lifeboat stations, using the stairways rather than the elevators.

There are traffic directors located at the stairways who will direct you to your station. Once at your station, you are asked to stand quietly with women in the front, and men in the rear.

Roll call is taken and you will hear a brief message from the captain with instructions on what to expect during an actual emergency.

At the conclusion of the drill, the all clear is announced on the ships horn and you are dismissed. You are instructed to keep your life jacket on until you return to your cabins to keep others from tripping on your jacket ties.

I appreciate Holland America's attention to detail and the way they conduct their drill in a very solemn, serious manner.

I never participate in master drills, because when I was on Admiral Nakhimov back in 1986 when it sunk nobody followed any drills and just ran for their lives.

I never participate in master drills, because when I was on Admiral Nakhimov back in 1986 when it sunk nobody followed any drills and just ran for their lives.

No wonder it takes so long to complete the muster drills. While we are waiting for everyone to show up and get marked off the lists, my back is killing me. I thought I would die last time. I'm sure we waited extra time for the stragglers to show. And some one doesn't want to participate? Thanks a bunch!!:mad:

First of all I don't know how you get away with that on HAL. In our drills when a person did not answer during roll call we had to wait until that person or news of them was tracked down before we could go back to what we wanted to do.

Secondly even if all the people don't follow the routine during a crisis it is best to take twenty minutes ahead of time in the hopes that the majority in a crisis will be familiar with some sort of plan.

Lastly, when you have 2 or 3 thousand people on a ship it is incredibly selfish and stupid to say it isn't going to work anyways so I'm not practicing any emergency drills. People with that attitude put others as well as themselves in greater danger in an already dangerous situation.:(

You are asked to don your life jacket and make your way to your lifeboat stations, using the stairways rather than the elevators. ...I appreciate Holland America's attention to detail and the way they conduct their drill in a very solemn, serious manner.

I have a very real appreciation of and respect for process - it comes about because of events that have occurred. Common sense for the main part.

My question is regarding the use of the stairs for the drill - I will be travelling with my mother (70+ years young - don't tell her I gave her age up :p). Whilst she isn't overly restricted, stairs do cause her some degree of difficulty - are there exceptions to using the stairs in a case like this? (By the by, I do realise that lifts are not an option in a real emergency).

Also, we have a midnight sailing - will the drill still be 45 min or thereabouts prior to sailing?

I have a very real appreciation of and respect for process - it comes about because of events that have occurred. Common sense for the main part.

My question is regarding the use of the stairs for the drill - I will be travelling with my mother (70+ years young - don't tell her I gave her age up :p). Whilst she isn't overly restricted, stairs do cause her some degree of difficulty - are there exceptions to using the stairs in a case like this? (By the by, I do realise that lifts are not an option in a real emergency).

Also, we have a midnight sailing - will the drill still be 45 min or thereabouts prior to sailing?

I have a bad back and standing or walking for long periods is very painful for me. I left quite early (about a half hour) before the muster drill and took the elevator. I found my area and asked the person in charge if I could lean up againt the wall (bulkhead?). He said yes, but after awhile he insisted I get in the front area (for the ladies). Standing there for over half an hour was a real killer for me. I wasn't happy that the stragglers took so long to show up. Next cruise I am going to take one of those cane/folding seat thingies. Sorry, I have no idea when your drill will be.

I have recently heard that if you do not show up for the lifeboat drill which is mandated by the Coast Guard for the protection of all of us!!-that on some ships they will make you take one all by yourselves into the cruise!

That is a super idea! After all folks we cannot have our way by not doing it when there are many other people involved here. We are on the cruise to enjoy ourselves and taking a short period of time to do this drill is nothing, but vitally important. It is true that HAL has the best and most thorough drill i have experienced. on one Princess cruise we all sat in rooms on stools or standing and never were taken out to the lifeboats we were assigned to. People still grumbled about that. I have problems with my back also!

Life is way too short to get hung up on this.

What's a "master drill"? :confused:

In case of an emergency, what will you be doing: running to the nearest railing and dive overboard?

I just read the story of the Admiral Nakhimov. Collision occurred after midnight. Most passengers in bed. Ship listed fast with no ability to launch lifeboats. The ship sunk in 7 minutes.:eek:

Try a simple arithmetic exercise: Assume 125 passengers assigned to a lifeboat, and 4 do not show up for the drill. Because of their selfishness, the drill takes 20 minutes instead of 15. Those 4 have saved themselves an aggregate of 60 minutes , (4 x 15) while costing the others an aggregate of 605 minutes - over 10 hours (121 x 5). Great shipmates!!!

I hope many people have the opportunity to laugh at you at the remedial drill the next day! :D

I just read the story of the Admiral Nakhimov. Collision occurred after midnight. Most passengers in bed. Ship listed fast with no ability to launch lifeboats. The ship sunk in 7 minutes.:eek:

It wasn't midnight, because we just left the port. I would say 5-6PM the latest. We were close to shore and a lot of people jumped , because they couldn't lower lifeboats. I swam to shore with my body and young girl. Her parents were OK later we found them. We were in the bar upstairs and it was easy for us to just jump in the water and swim. The ship was old and had 7 decks only. No one was standing by lifeboats with ladies first, so I don't go to muster drills and later they send me letter to my cabin about it.

I don't show up every time and never had drill next day. Just a letter in my cabin.

YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT -- your deciding not to attend drills makes many others - hundreds of others - stand around during the drill for extra time just so you can save a few minutes. That is being selfish. If you cannot understand that, you are not only selfish, you are intellectually challenged.

It wasn't midnight, because we just left the port. I would say 5-6PM the latest. We were close to shore and a lot of people jumped , because they couldn't lower lifeboats. I swam to shore with my body and young girl. Her parents were OK later we found them. We were in the bar upstairs and it was easy for us to just jump in the water and swim. The ship was old and had 7 decks only. No one was standing by lifeboats with ladies first, so I don't go to muster drills and later they send me letter to my cabin about it.

"At 11:12 p.m., the Admiral Nakhimov was struck by the Pyotr Vasev eight miles (15 km) from the port at Novorossiysk and two miles (4 km) from shore line, at 44°36′15″N, 37°52′35″E[1]. While many passengers had gone to bed by this time, some were on deck listening and dancing to a jazz band. They could only watch helplessly as the freighter rammed into the starboard side of the ship at a speed of about 5 knots (9 km/h). The Admiral Nakhimov continued forward with the freighter's bow in its side, ripping a 900 square foot (84 m²) hole in the hull between the engine and boiler rooms.

The Admiral Nakhimov immediately took on a list on her starboard side, and her lights went out upon impact. After a few seconds, the emergency diesel generator powered on, but the lights went out again two minutes later, plunging the sinking ship into darkness. People below decks found themselves lost in the dark and rapidly canting hallways.

There was no time to launch the lifeboats. Hundreds of people dove into the oily water, clinging to lifejackets, barrels and pieces of debris.

The Admiral Nakhimov sank in only seven minutes"

The foregoing account can be found by Googling Admiral Nakhimov.

"At 11:12 p.m., the Admiral Nakhimov was struck by the Pyotr Vasev eight miles (15 km) from the port at Novorossiysk and two miles (4 km) from shore line, at 44°36′15″N, 37°52′35″E[1]. While many passengers had gone to bed by this time, some were on deck listening and dancing to a jazz band. They could only watch helplessly as the freighter rammed into the starboard side of the ship at a speed of about 5 knots (9 km/h). The Admiral Nakhimov continued forward with the freighter's bow in its side, ripping a 900 square foot (84 m²) hole in the hull between the engine and boiler rooms.

The Admiral Nakhimov immediately took on a list on her starboard side, and her lights went out upon impact. After a few seconds, the emergency diesel generator powered on, but the lights went out again two minutes later, plunging the sinking ship into darkness. People below decks found themselves lost in the dark and rapidly canting hallways.

There was no time to launch the lifeboats. Hundreds of people dove into the oily water, clinging to lifejackets, barrels and pieces of debris.

The Admiral Nakhimov sank in only seven minutes"

The foregoing account can be found by Googling Admiral Nakhimov.

This is written by american writer. I was there. First of all it wasn't 11PM for sure. After impact Admiral Nakhimov was hanging on Peter Vasev bow for 30 minutes and then they decided to reverse Vasev and after that Nakhimov went straight down. We didn't have any jazz bands back in 1986. All 'american music" was prohibited by the U.S.S.R government.

This is written by american writer. I was there. First of all it wasn't 11PM for sure. After impact Admiral Nakhimov was hanging on Peter Vasev bow for 30 minutes and then they decided to reverse Vasev and after that Nakhimov went straight down. We didn't have any jazz bands back in 1986. All 'american music" was prohibited by the U.S.S.R government.

Ok. Whatever. I give up...

p.s. I suggest you read the Pravda article entitiled "The Mystery of the Russian Titanic".

IMy question is regarding the use of the stairs for the drill - I will be travelling with my mother (70+ years young - don't tell her I gave her age up :p). Whilst she isn't overly restricted, stairs do cause her some degree of difficulty - are there exceptions to using the stairs in a case like this? (By the by, I do realise that lifts are not an option in a real emergency).

Yes, you may use the elevator. Do not head out too early or your Mom may get overtired waiting for the drill to start. Start out from your cabin when the signal begins. Coming back it won't be as easy to access the elevator as so many others will be competing for it at the same time. Patience.

My understanding is that there is one emergency elevator in every elevator bank, and that elevator would be available in an emergency.

I don't know that I'd want to be the one to find out that info is wrong, though. :eek:

ODECCIT, I don't know where you go during life boat drill, but if we're ever on the same ship at the same time, and there is an emergency, I hope you go to your usual place.

I don't want your lack of practice of what to do interferring with my getting the heck out of there. :rolleyes:

Archived