Costa Maya port construction ahead of schedule

jetskier

Thought that since everyone was always asking about the rebuilding efforts, someone may find it interesting. http://www.mayancoastrealty.com/DeanUpdateFeb.html :) .

I can't wait to get there, myself. :)

In both of his updates the real estate fellow mentions some 1500 ships a year in 2009.

Even with all the new builds by all the cruise lines, my guess is they will be nowhere close to that ever.

I remember last year, looking at the schedules. There were very few days there were 3 ships in port.

We love the area too, and have spent several days in Xcalak kicking back.

Hugh in Dallas

malecon2.jpg

March 2008 - looking north to light house and pier. Notice - all new palm trees and sand to replenish beach.

The cruise ship pier from land to ship berths is completed. Berthing location still need to be completed.

malecon2.jpg

March 2008 - looking north to light house and pier. Notice - all new palm trees and sand to replenish beach.

The cruise ship pier from land to ship berths is completed. Berthing location still need to be completed.

That is so Great !!

and THANK YOU so much

for posting pics :)

I cant wait !!

dave, our family will be sailing on Carnival Legend July 2009 and the kids are so disappointed that they may not get to Majahual. Those in the family who have been there came back with such wonderful stories the other kids wanted to go. When you say the town will change do you think it will still have the little restaurants/bar and beach massages? The people in that little town were the nicest kindest and most willing to please of almost anywhere in the carribbean we have been. It was a day I will never forget and hope to revisit it July 2009.

Just returned from Mahahual / Costa Maya on Sunday. If you liked Costa Maya before - I think you will really love Costa Maya - post hurricane Dean. Work is going on everywhere. This will really be a first class destination for cruisers.

The major change is the Malecon (walkway) running from the lighthouse to the town pier south of town. New palm trees are already planted. Sand has been placed on the beach. The first section is scheduled to be dedicated within the next couple of weeks (in front of Tequila Beach). By the way, the new Malecon run between Tequila Beach and the water. Since the Malecon is for foot traffic only, a new 'bypass' road has been built to the west of town. No more bumps just to get to town.

Business are starting to re open, especially for the upcoming Easter holiday week. Of particular interest - in new Mahahual are:

• Aroma Cafe - very good food
  • Che Burger
  • Circus

With all the construction, the business along the waterfront are bit difficult to access. But, that will all change.

Scuba Diving - dive sites to the south are still in very good shape. Was able to get a few dives in.

Plants and trees are showing even more green.

Carnival has indicated that the Glory will be going to Costa Maya starting in November per John Heald's blog.

Dave

I was really hoping the port would be ready for cruise ships by September, that's when I'll be on Glory again. I'm still hoping they will be ready by then, even if it's not looking likely right now.

Terri

My wife and I going back to Mahahual tomorrow for a week of diving. I will update everyone as to the progress. I don't think the government is going to issue concessions for restaurants or bars between the walkway and the beach, but I will find out for everyone. On our last trip, we felt that everyone feels that this is a second chance to make things better for all of us passengers. The existing roads/sewers/water and electric systems couldn't handle the amount of traffic when more than one ship was in. They are installing all new systems throughout Mahahual. I think in the long run, this will be even a better place to cruise to.

This is the latest info I've received from a hotel owner in Costa Maya regarding the recovery efforts after Dean hit:

Costa Maya Newsletter Feb 18, 2008‏

From: Marcia at Mayan Beach Garden (marcia@mayanbeachgarden.com)

Sent: Mon 2/18/08 8:51 PM

Reply-to: marcia@mayanbeachgarden.com

To: marcia@mayanbeachgarden.com

Cc: marciabales@yahoo.com

Hi Costa Maya Neighbors

As most of you know, the area north of Mahahual/Majahual was hit the hardest by Dean. The good news is that a good portion of the beaches in this area have been restored. These beaches are looking great. I see lots of new palms planted and Vincent, the palm salesman is doing his best to sell Kerpis and other plants from the back of one of the most beat up pickups you will ever see. You can purchase a 4 meter coco palm for about $100. It makes me feel good to have height on the beach. I've way surpassed by gardening budget, but I couldn't be happier when Kim brought me more tropical plants for Valentines day. After all, one can't be called "Mayan Beach Garden" without a GARDEN!!!!! Every day things are looking better and I plant new plants every chance I get.

We've now been open almost two months. The first few days were kind of shaky but our guests were great sports. Now we have things well under control. In our little cocoon of placer, If you don't look at the West side of the road and the pile of gravel in the road you wouldn't even know there was a hurricane! Our neighbor's houses have mostly been restored, the lots south of me are cleaned up and I've embraced the distressed look in my restaurant. I figure people pay a lot of money to get that look on their walls. My entire staff is back (at least the ones I cared about) so the food and the service is the same. When people come and say "wow, this is really a mess" I almost forget that outside Mayan Beach Garden, you can still tell there was a hurricane!

By the way, checkout the on-line version of this newsletter -- it has more links and the addition of pictures.

The online version of this Newsletter with pictures can be found at: http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/PropertyOwners_Newsletter08_01.html

Hi all it looks like costa maya is getting there and pretty quick these photos i found, on my search for updates.

Mahahual, february 27, 2008

The first part of the boardwalk has been paved ! Walking on it you can already have an idea how the boardwalk will look like when all 3 kilometers will be finished. Also nice: there are uplights in the ground which will illuminate the new palms from underneath. This will be really beautiful walking there by night.

Work on the cruise ship pier goes on steadily, it is not only a rumor anymore but quite sure that the first ships can dock there in july, 3 months earlier than expected.

In the meantime a lot of construction and repairing is still going on in Mahahual, everybody working hard to get their business up and running before semana santa, the holy week of eastern, the most important holiday in Mexico. 42.jpg44.jpg46.jpg48.jpg45.jpgi can only post 6 pic but i put another page

Very, very happy to come across this thread via a link elsewhere and read about the recovery of Costa Maya for the return of the cruise ships. We were at Costa Maya January 2006 and loved it--we enjoyed the port itself, and had a wonderful experience touring Chocchoben. We did not get the chance to head down to Majahual and we wanted to--it seemed so quaint, and un-paved, but now it appears a touch of progress--for good or otherwise to be seen--has touched majahual as a result of the repair. Would have happened (modernization to some degree) anyway, just out of need to accomodate the economic opportunity the cruise ships bring, but it would have been nice to have had the chance to experience it before the hurricane, unpaved, laid back. I'll still look forward to some future cruise taking me to the new improved costa maya and majahual.

Looks like Carnival Glory will be the first of Carnvials ships to go back in December 2008 by the cruisecal website

October is Disney Magic

Westerdam and Veendam

November is Disney Magic

Westerndam and Veendam

Norwegian Spirit

Oceana

Independence of the Seas

and Seven Seas Voyager

and December is almost a full calendar

with a ship at port every day :)

Is Cruisecal up to date ?

Does anyone know if they are going to rebuild that beautiful pier they had there? You know when you first get off the ship and you walk down...thingy and then you go through the gates and there are all those stores and then that pool with the swim up bar? I loved that swim up bar...except for I got the worst burn cuz I was having too much fun at the bar!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back last week. Took a panga out to the pier. Very rough, so pics are to blurry. They are working 24 hours a day. Fonatour, Mexico's tourist investment arm, just announced that no further funding will be spent at Costa Maya. The reasons are environmental in nature and they want to keep the area as natural as possible. The Malecon will be finished in town, but don't think it will continue to the port. Private money will have to finish that. Someone tried to put up a beach bar on the beach, and the state came in and had them take everything down. It seems that nothing will be allowed to built on the beach side of the walkway. But its Mexico, that will probably change. The beach is coming more alive everyday. New beach breaks/areas are in the planning stages outside town. Alot more options will be available once the ships come back. Disney Magic is set to sail in Sept.30. 17 ships are scheduled to dock in November 08 & December 08. Costa Maya will be back better than ever.

Just got back last week. Took a panga out to the pier. Very rough, so pics are to blurry. They are working 24 hours a day. Fonatour, Mexico's tourist investment arm, just announced that no further funding will be spent at Costa Maya. The reasons are environmental in nature and they want to keep the area as natural as possible. The Malecon will be finished in town, but don't think it will continue to the port. Private money will have to finish that. Someone tried to put up a beach bar on the beach, and the state came in and had them take everything down. It seems that nothing will be allowed to built on the beach side of the walkway. But its Mexico, that will probably change. The beach is coming more alive everyday. New beach breaks/areas are in the planning stages outside town. Alot more options will be available once the ships come back. Disney Magic is set to sail in Sept.30. 17 ships are scheduled to dock in November 08 & December 08. Costa Maya will be back better than ever.

Would that mean that we couldnt have our tables near the water?

That is one of the things that I enjoyed about Costa Maya ... so I hope that wasnt what you meant by that :(

That is how most of us remembered Costa Maya , right ?

Archived