Costa Maya port construction ahead of schedule

jetskier

Would that mean that we couldnt have our tables near the water?

That is one of the things that I enjoyed about Costa Maya ... so I hope that wasnt what you meant by that :(

That is how most of us remembered Costa Maya , right ?

I didnt read it that way at all. Nothing can be BUILT on the beach side of the roadway..or walkway..thats the way it used to be too. yes they set up tables etc on the beach side but the buildings were further up on the shore. Thats the way I remember it and it was fantastic!:)

I didnt read it that way at all. Nothing can be BUILT on the beach side of the roadway..or walkway..thats the way it used to be too. yes they set up tables etc on the beach side but the buildings were further up on the shore. Thats the way I remember it and it was fantastic!:)

We were sitting at cats Meow , which was across the street from us , we were right on the beach ...with tables & tents , etc

and right next to us was "charlie browns" El Botadero or somethinglike that , and I believe that was like a beach hut , shack right on the beach...

with message tents , tables and chairs ....etc....

it has been awhile , so maybe I am not remembering it correctly but I do have a video of it too ...

will they still have the message tents on the beaches then and the tents for people to eat under ?

I hope so ...

• 2 weeks later...
Alot more options will be available once the ships come back. Disney Magic is set to sail in Sept.30. 17 ships are scheduled to dock in November 08 & December 08. Costa Maya will be back better than ever.

I'm on that Sept 27-Oct 4 DCL cruise with a 9/30 stop in Costa Maya - it will be interesting to see what progress has been made by that time.

I just wanted to add that only the occasional ship will be porting in Costa Maya between July and October. A regular schedule is not expected to start until October or November.

Mack and I will be in Costa Maya for two weeks in August/September. We have very mixed feelings about the "new" Mahahual and needed one last trip before the ships returned. We have always loved the area and the people will forever hold a special place in our heart.

• 4 weeks later...

Missing Costa Maya.....There is a wonderful painter in the cruise ship market place who has furnished six ceramic tiles for us, over a two year period. There were two young artists with him (maybe relatives, or not) We could not afford the tiles all at once, so we thought it would be a meaningful building of an interior home wall over a cruise period of time.... and we did not ever imagine anything or anyone wiping out the whole Costa Maya shore area. It is worse for the residents, than for us, so we are not without sympathy.

We would really like to build our tile collection for one of our interior walls, with this same artist. It is so tragic that everything came to a hurricane halt.

We are waiting for a Carnival cruise return to Costa Maya, since we have traveled twice a year for the past six years, via Carnival or Royal Caribbean--out of Tampa. Our next cruise will be a seven day, the last week of September 2008.

We will return to Roatan, and have liked Roatan. We do not feel as free to aimlessly and self-sufficiently explore, as we did in Costa Maya.

After reading posts, it seems that Carnival will not return to Costa Maya until Dec 2008 or later? Does anyone have any knowledge on this matter? Thank you so much. Please reply to: luvvabargain@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

I truely hope they didn't ruin the quaintness of Mahahual:( If they made it lok like the cruise built area I think that I will be dissapointed. Time will tell...can't wait for the first reports.

I will be back in Costa Maya in August for two weeks and will be sure to take lots of pictures. Having been back twice since Dean I can assure you that Mahahual and the entire Costa Maya area is still a wonderful place; especially with NO ships in port.

I know that Mahahual has forever been changed by Dean but will maintain a quaintness for many years to come. I may not agree with all of the changes but I do understand from a business perspective. The plan had always been to revitalize/build up the area and Dean gave them an opportunity to move things into high gear. More critical to the area maintaining it's quaintness will be to not stack the ships up in port. Three (small) ships equals 6000+ passengers and that doesn't even count crew that gets off. That many people will make any port feel crowded.

A sad change for me will be when more people realize what a wonderful area this is and take a land vacation to Costa Maya instead of just cruising in for the day.

cruisecat.. look forward to your pics. thanks for your input. i fell in live with costa maya the one and only time i was there and seriously wanted to but land there....then dean struck. have a wonderful vacation:)

cruisecat.. look forward to your pics. thanks for your input. i fell in live with costa maya the one and only time i was there and seriously wanted to but land there....then dean struck. have a wonderful vacation:)

I was so looking forward to my honeymoon cruise on the Legend because it was going to stop at both Cozumel and Costa Maya. The man I married was nervous about Mexico, but I was in Mexico for 5 months before I started dating him. (I drove to and lived in Cancun for 4 months.) I was so excited to return to Cozumel having been there before, before Wilma. I was anxious to see how Cozumel came back, and to show him all of what Mexico has to offer...

Then Dean struck... on my 30th birthday nonetheless.! :mad:

I could not get excited for my cruise after that. Until I was on it. Roatan is amazing. I am so happy I went there, just not instead of Costa Maya. I am partial to Mexico, of course. I still really want to see it myself, in the meantime I look forward to seeing pictures! And for the record, DH loved his time in Cozumel!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I found these pics (taken maybe Feb08?) of rebuilding in Mahahual. It appears that this village will still be a quaint little village, compared to the commercialized city many feared it would become.

I truly enjoyed my visit there Jun06 and look forward to revisiting the village to see the many upgrades.:D

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562638764QwqrVN?start=0

I found these pics (taken maybe Feb08?) of rebuilding in Mahahual. It appears that this village will still be a quaint little village, compared to the commercialized city many feared it would become.

I truly enjoyed my visit there Jun06 and look forward to revisiting the village to see the many upgrades.:D

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562638764QwqrVN?start=0

The link just takes me to webshots homepage...

I too, am anxiously awaiting our cruise on the Veendam Nov. 1 with a chance to visit Costa Maya again. We first visited when it very first opened for tourism and were looking forward to going back to see the changes last year before Dean hit. Cozumel was substituted and of course our figers are crossed we make it this time. Here's a link of the rebuild since Dean. http://www.mahahualmexico.com

So, looks like they are a bit more modern, but still the local charm remains.

Can't wait!

Archived