Progreso HELP

Pechez

Dan40. Sorry to hear about Barb. Google "Hip Replacement Surgery"

Lots of information. Even an interactive website that allows you to perform the surgery. Pretty neat. It's amazing what the docs can do today. BTW. The surgery is not quite as bad as it sounds. Keep me posted.

Are theses photos of the Progreso beach and if so how do you get to it once you get off the ship?

Thanks

There is a free shuttle down the long.....long....long....long pier that takes you to the drop off point in town. Turn to the left as you get off the bus. You walk straight and turn left at the corner. Go about 3 blocks and you are at the beach.

Dave

Add this to Jetskiers directions:

Turn right on the Malecon (Main St.) walk 50 paces and stop at Le Saint Bonnet. Order some seafood and have a hearty pigout. The fish market is right behind the resturant so you know it is fresh.;)

• 1 month later...

May I have a scan of the flier, too, please? I really like to plan and dh wants to see these ruins. He's already seen Chichen Itza and wanted to show them to us but the crowds and vendors have turned him off. Carnival no longer lists this on our cruise. We will try the tour desk as soon as we get on but want to have a back-up just in case. Thanks! Email me at oceanmom62@sbcglobal.net Michelle

Add this to Jetskiers directions:

Turn right on the Malecon (Main St.) walk 50 paces and stop at Le Saint Bonnet. Order some seafood and have a hearty pigout. The fish market is right behind the resturant so you know it is fresh.;)

Have to second that. We had lunch there about a month ago and had the best Grouper dish I've ever eaten. Fresh grilled fillet along with shrimp, crab meat, a to die for white sauce and melted cheese with crumbled bacon and pecans. Still trying to duplicate it at home.....:D

Have to second that. We had lunch there about a month ago and had the best Grouper dish I've ever eaten. Fresh grilled fillet along with shrimp, crab meat, a to die for white sauce and melted cheese with crumbled bacon and pecans. Still trying to duplicate it at home.....:D

Tank, when and if you get it together, please let me know. There are few things that I like better than good food.;)

Tank, when and if you get it together, please let me know. There are few things that I like better than good food.;)

Howdy Clackey,

What I can tell you is that they grilled the Grouper fillet then topped it with grilled shrimp and crabmeat. Covered it with a white sauce then topped that with shredded cheese and broiled it until the cheese melted. Finished it off with crumbled bacon and pecans. Truely a meal unto itself! Now if I could just figure out that darn white sauce.......;)

• 4 weeks later...

Can you please e-mail me the brochure to pmarett@dart.org

Thanks!!!:p

I just got back from Progreso - loved it. I have the little flier that autoprogreso tours hands out. They are the company that runs the free shuttle from the ship to Progreso and they will give you a sales pitch before you get off the bus in Progreso. Here are their prices:

Merida City Tour: $25

Duration is 3 1/2 hours with one hour free time. Visit cathedral, main avenue, historic downtown and colonial buildings.

Dzibilchaltun: $29

Duration 3 hours.

Merida and Dzibilchaltun: $40.00

Resort / Ruins: $45

Duration 4 hours. visit a ruin and 5 star resort with open bar.

Flamingo Tour: $18

Duration 2 hours. The downtown area, bird sanctuary, pink flamingos, mayan ruins site Xcambo, flat salt.

Chichen Itza: $55

Duration 5 1/2 hours

(You must not stay there long since it is a long bus ride???? - or the flier is printed incorrectly)

Uxmal: $55

Duration 5 1/2 hours.

I can't recommend any tours as I didn't take any. Was thinking about the Dzibilchaltun tour but the second tour left at 11:30 and it didn't fit into our time schedule. I can scan and e-mail the flier if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got back from Progreso - loved it. I have the little flier that autoprogreso tours hands out. They are the company that runs the free shuttle from the ship to Progreso and they will give you a sales pitch before you get off the bus in Progreso. Here are their prices:

Merida City Tour: $25

Duration is 3 1/2 hours with one hour free time. Visit cathedral, main avenue, historic downtown and colonial buildings.

Dzibilchaltun: $29

Duration 3 hours.

Merida and Dzibilchaltun: $40.00

Resort / Ruins: $45

Duration 4 hours. visit a ruin and 5 star resort with open bar.

Flamingo Tour: $18

Duration 2 hours. The downtown area, bird sanctuary, pink flamingos, mayan ruins site Xcambo, flat salt.

Chichen Itza: $55

Duration 5 1/2 hours

(You must not stay there long since it is a long bus ride???? - or the flier is printed incorrectly)

Uxmal: $55

Duration 5 1/2 hours.

I can't recommend any tours as I didn't take any. Was thinking about the Dzibilchaltun tour but the second tour left at 11:30 and it didn't fit into our time schedule. I can scan and e-mail the flier if anyone is interested.

So, it looks like you can book these trips upon arrival? Anyone done that? Would love to do the Uxmal trip but not through Carnival....

Thanks for any advise!

They also book them as you get off of the bus from the pier....I also did not take any of the tours, so can't reccommend them (the company that offers them is AutoProgreso, the same company that provides the buses from the ship into town)...We enjoyed the shopping in Progreso, though...thought it was more reasonable than Coz....you could bargain down fairly easily...just set your highest price and walk away if they don't meet it...they usually will meet your price if it is reasonable...for example...I was quoted 45 for a hammock....got it for 15...Jim

If you book the Chitchen Itza or Uxmal excursion with the ship, it will cost you more ($72 per person through RCI) but if you book with autoprogresso, it is $55 p/p. I missed this one this time but I'll book through these guys next time I visit Progresso again. I am still kicking myself for missing it this trip.

We booked with Autoprogresso right off of the ship. Pass through the shopping mall and walk through towards the parking lot. Autoprogresso is the last shop on the left. We took the Uxmal tour and got so lucky to be the only couple doing this tour. We had our own taxi and driver with our own tour guide. He talked the entire drive and told us so much about the Mayan culture and people. It took probably almost an hour and 45 minutes to get to Uxmal but we stopped at a little shop and fresh fruit stand. Once at Uxmal our guide stayed with us and told us so much about the ruins and answered all our questions. Then since it was just my husband and I on this tour we had enough time to go and eat real authentic Mexican food. A place recommended by our guide. He did the ordering for us and it was the best Mexican food I have ever eaten. It was truly one of the highlights of our trip. We made it back to the pier for 3:00pm. Ship left at 4:00pm. They drive you back to pier. You don't have to go back to where the shuttle drops you off before your tour. If you go through Autoprogresso ask for Manuel Polo. He was the best. We paid $55 a person and probably tipped our guide almost that because he was so good.

Archived