Sea Dream Service Charge

johnnycruise

Does Sea Dream really charge a port/service charge of $32 per person per day? That would seem extremely high, especially since they advertise that their prices are inclusive of gratuities.

They do charge port taxes which vary depending upon the length of the cruise and the actual ports visited. It's not a flat $32 per day and it has nothing to do with gratuities or service. It is simply a way for Sea Dream to pass along to its customers certain costs incurred in connection with a cruise. I frankly don't think that the amount charged necessarily reflects actual charges imposed by a given port but I don't know that for a fact.

The imposition of port taxes is not unique to Sea Dream.

Thanks CT,

I understand the subjectivity of port charges, but the question arose while I was comparing fares on 11/28 Caribbean sailings between Seabourn and SeaDream. Both offer very competitive web specials of $1,995/$1,999 but Seabourn includes port charges and SeaDream charges an additional $224 per person, which is significant. My TA said her SD registration form said it was to cover several items, among other things, gratuities. SeaDream's brochure implies gratutities are included in the cruise fare which contradicts the booking form. I had not seen a cruise with such high port charges (other than Panama Canal cruises) since the class action suit brought against some of the majors several years ago forced them to abandon the practice.

My point is that a luxury cruise line should not have such "hidden" charges. SeaDream's main competition seems to be Silversea and Seabourn and both of them are more straightforward and don't have the big port charge add-on.

I can't get any real feel from these boards for which of the two lines (SB or SD) is better ... everyone has positive opinions about both. I was leaning toward SeaDream since I could fly nonstop from my hometown to St. Thomas and Barbados would require longer, connecting flights, but now I'm thinking Seabourn might be the better choice.

I guess that it's all in the presentation. Sea Dream presents their fares as $x plus port charges. Seabourn presents their fares as $x including port charges. Either way, for me it's simple enough to do the math so that I can compare apples to apples.

Having been on both Sea Dream and Seabourn, my preference is SD so long as their apples are comparable to Seabourn's. I know others who feel otherwise.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Find an itinerary and fare that you are happy with and go for it.

CT,

Would you pay the extra money to travel on SD? If so, what would be the aspects of SD that would help you make that decision? I have never cruised on a small ship so I'd appreciate your insight since you've been on both of them. I wanted to visit St. Barts and since both of them go there the itinerary is not an issue.

Thanks,

Johnny

Depends on how much extra we're talking about. If it was a matter of a few hundred dollars a week and assuming comparable itineraries, I'd definitely go with SD. If the price differential was more than that, I'd seriously consider Seabourn or Silversea.

Not that SD is necessarily any better than Seabourn or Silversea but I've been on SD and its predecessors 11 times to date (with 4 future weeks booked) and I've been on Seabourn and Silversea 3 weeks each. Consequently, I'm more familiar with the ships, the crew and just the general way of life aboard SD.

The Seabourn and Silversea cabins are larger than the SD cabins, Silversea has verandas and Seabourn has French Balconies (for whatever that's worth) that SD doesn't have. The food is, I think, comparable on the 3. For me, what it boils down to is the personal service that I have come to expect and appreciate on SD and that I haven't experienced with Seabourn. SD knows that its cabins are smaller, that it doesn't have balconies or verandas and I believe that consequently they recognize that service is the one area where they can outperform their competitiors. I happen to think that they succeed and that's why I keep going back even after seeing what Seabourn and Silversea have to offer.

We have traveled on all of the above mentions lines frequently. It is a matter of Apples and Oranges. WHAT DO YOU WANT? A fee charged indepently by SD is because they have fewer people to assorb the costs..ie..port charges and gratuities. Though all of the lines give great service..it is our opinion that SD excells in that catagory and in food above the other lines. We do like the larger suites on the other lines...but ...it would not keep us from cruising SD for a given trip. SD makes you feel more special as an individual...but SB comes close ..SS is the least favorite for us.

Very well said, LaPaloma. I couldn't have said it better myself. I note from one of your earlier posts that you are acquainted with Christophe. We'll be with him and his colleagues in just over 2 weeks. Shall we pass along your regards to him?

I'll be happy to give him your regards and to report back on his response. We're doing Monte Carlo r/t, departing on Oct. 9.

Have a great trip. I know that your daughter will enjoy herself. My parents are just back from their first Sea Dream cruise and are now converts!

Yes, I found that out from my TA a couple of days after my last post.:(

Actually the SB thread on "Correct Attire" led me to believe I was not pretentious enough for their Maitre d' - He might not think my Atlanta Braves ball cap matches my tux.:D

I hope the SD banana boat rides don't have a time limit!

Archived