NCL Nov 14th, 2008. 1st time cruiser

apax

Hi there, this is an excellent forum and I am glad to have stumbled upon it. I have done my best to read through all the posts and FAQ's. I still have a few questions, so please bear with me:

1). I saw a picture in 1 link showing MINI-SUITES (class AF) have a curtain separating the sitting area and the beds. Is this true? I cannot see it mentioned on the NCL site. The reason I am asking, is that I am going to be travelling with 2 children (age 3 and 1). We will likely need 2 pack'n plays in the room. 1 behind the curtain for the older kid and one near our bed for the younger. Obviously we want maximal separation of both children, this will sound mean, but is there room in the closet or the bathroom to set up another pack'n play (collapsable play pen) for the second child so they wont wake each other up?

2). We have been told that the verandah (balconies) that are adjoining can be opened up (by removing a partition). Is this possible? We are staying next to another couple and would love to go back and forth via the verandah.

3). By booking a mini-suite, do we get any special treatment or perks? I am not expecting any, just interested to know. Our friends had a horrible experience embarking with their 7 month old last year on Carnival. Just wondering that since we will have 2 kids and be in a mini-suite will this process be quicker? Understanding of course that all of you have said NCL is pretty good with this process.

4). At the ports (samana, tortola, st. lucia, antigua and ? last one) can we just get off the boat and go to a nearby beach? or do we have to pay for an excursion? Just find it a hassle to pack everything with 2 kids.

5). I have read that most people have been happy with the child care on the NCL, but i could not find alot mentioning Age 2-3 babysitting and leaving their children at this age with the play group. Does anyone have feedback on this? I am hesitant but interested. As well, our child sleeps by 7PM all night. This evening 10pm babysitting, will they get a play pen to sleep in or do they expect them to be awake? is there a quiet area for them to sleep? I am guessing it will be a row of playpens or something like that.

Thanks for all of your advice in advance.

Hi there, this is an excellent forum and I am glad to have stumbled upon it. I have done my best to read through all the posts and FAQ's. I still have a few questions, so please bear with me:

1). I saw a picture in 1 link showing MINI-SUITES (class AF) have a curtain separating the sitting area and the beds. Is this true? I cannot see it mentioned on the NCL site. The reason I am asking, is that I am going to be travelling with 2 children (age 3 and 1). We will likely need 2 pack'n plays in the room. 1 behind the curtain for the older kid and one near our bed for the younger. Obviously we want maximal separation of both children, this will sound mean, but is there room in the closet or the bathroom to set up another pack'n play (collapsable play pen) for the second child so they wont wake each other up?

The curtain will be very close to the bed when pulled open. I don't think there's enough room to put pack "n" play between the curtain and the bed. You might could get a pack "n" play in the center bath area, but it would be extrememly tight and then you wouldn't be able to get to the toilet. I really think you'll have to put both pack "n" plays in the area in front of the fold out couch.

2). We have been told that the verandah (balconies) that are adjoining can be opened up (by removing a partition). Is this possible? We are staying next to another couple and would love to go back and forth via the verandah.

The partitions can be opened. Your cabin steward can arrange this.

3). By booking a mini-suite, do we get any special treatment or perks? I am not expecting any, just interested to know. Our friends had a horrible experience embarking with their 7 month old last year on Carnival. Just wondering that since we will have 2 kids and be in a mini-suite will this process be quicker? Understanding of course that all of you have said NCL is pretty good with this process.

You are supposed to have concierge access, but with all the suites that the concierge has to service, it's next to impossible to get any real assistance from them. The biggest perk with the mini-suite is the larger size.

4). At the ports (samana, tortola, st. lucia, antigua and ? last one) can we just get off the boat and go to a nearby beach? or do we have to pay for an excursion? Just find it a hassle to pack everything with 2 kids.

Going to the beach on your own is always an available option. Usually plenty of local taxi's are available at the port. Just remember, if you are late coming back from a ship sponsored excursion, the ship will wait for you. If you are out on your own, the ship will not wait. In other words, plan to get back early.

5). I have read that most people have been happy with the child care on the NCL, but i could not find alot mentioning Age 2-3 babysitting and leaving their children at this age with the play group. Does anyone have feedback on this? I am hesitant but interested. As well, our child sleeps by 7PM all night. This evening 10pm babysitting, will they get a play pen to sleep in or do they expect them to be awake? is there a quiet area for them to sleep? I am guessing it will be a row of playpens or something like that.

Sorry, no experience with the Kid's Clubs.

Thanks for all of your advice in advance.

Hope this helped a little.

Archived