Question on traveling with infant

Interesting this question came up, there was just a recent article on CC giving the age requirements the major lines have for infants, http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=628, RCCL currently has no age restriction so you could bring them right out of the hospital. (I think most docs recommend a month or so before travel to limit exposure to germs, etc.)

We took my niece with us on a family cruise when she was 4 months. We enjoyed every minute with her. The only painful part was the $700 rate we paid for her!

My sister brought along formula, diapers, baby wipes, etc. My niece was a delight -- and the waiters on board could hardly wait to hold her -- they were so sweet with her and so wistful about their babies they hadn't seen in months.

Babies make fine cruisers!

In the morning at breakfast in the Windjammer I would get a bunch of milks and bring them back to the room and put them in the refrigerator. One other thing I found to be helpful was to pack an entire suitcase with just diapers, wipes, bibsters, etc. Once you go throught those items you have an empty suitcase for your return home for all the souveniers and extra items. Just make sure to bring enough diapers because they aren't sold on the ship. Also bring tons of sunscreen that you have tested on their skin first to make sure they don't have a reaction to it. Have a great cruise!

When our child was born, we waited several years before going on a vacation with many others around, both for our sanity and the others. But, in today's society, no one can make a sacrifice.

My child has been all over the world. Never once have I felt that he has caused myself or anyone else to "go insane". I am sorry if you felt that your children did otherwise.

I particularly get a laugh out of parents who feel they need to take their 2 and 3 year olds to places like Disney World.

Funny, I tend not to laugh at other people. It's really not very nice.

Nothing funnier than seeing parents with these crying, red-faced kids on their shoulders around 3 pm, dragging along the strollers and bags, all having a great time. All for something the kids will never remember.

The kids might not remember -- but the parents will. In the same line of thinking, babies will not remember you holding them, kissing or snuggling them -- but you don't not do these things. All those things (whether consciously remembered or not) become part of who a person is. Finally, we just took our grandmother with early-stage alzheimer's disease on a cruise. Again, she probably will not remember it. BUT WE WILL. Moreover, she had fun during the trip and she was definately WORTH taking.

The idea about bringing along an inflatable pool is really a great idea. How is it gonna get filled up? A glass of water at a time from the restaurant? Or, "oh, deck boy, can you get a hose to fill this with?"

Actually, the ice bucket worked great. Two trips and there was plenty of splashy fun.

Yeah we plan on using the beer buckets - I am sure with the 10 people in our group there will be a couple around the pool to use. FYI - just so I do not get bashed as being a bad mother - I am not planning on drinking more than 1-2 drinks a day on the trip.

."I'm hoping there will be whole milk available, as my son still prefers it at his age. He will begrudgingly drink 2% and won't touch 1%. I believe there's a juice dispenser somewhere around the Windjammer that might also have milk available on a regular basis?

Juice is available during breakfast hours only - milk is available during all meals and through room service.

My child has been all over the world. Never once have I felt that he has caused myself or anyone else to "go insane". I am sorry if you felt that your children did otherwise.

Funny, I tend not to laugh at other people. It's really not very nice.

The kids might not remember -- but the parents will. In the same line of thinking, babies will not remember you holding them, kissing or snuggling them -- but you don't not do these things. All those things (whether consciously remembered or not) become part of who a person is. Finally, we just took our grandmother with early-stage alzheimer's disease on a cruise. Again, she probably will not remember it. BUT WE WILL. Moreover, she had fun during the trip and she was definately WORTH taking.

Actually, the ice bucket worked great. Two trips and there was plenty of splashy fun.

LOL! I knew I'd get someone to bite. And, BTW, I did not say "insane". I said sanity. There is a difference, but you probably don't understand that.

We very much enjoyed the early years with our child, holding, snuggling, kissing, going to many local spots, and we greatly enjoyed out time once we did start to travel. I think you need to accept the fact that not everyone wants to go thru the hassle of traveling with a baby or toddler. For those that enjoy it, more power to them. There are very few would would dare put a negative post in these forums, as they are always flamed by those who disagree. All I posted was that I agreed with the one who dared. And gave my reasons.

That was beautifully stated. It got me thinking about my dear grandma. She was a fiesty, spry thing right into her late 80s. Then she got Alzheimers. Even when she could only remember that my DH was "that nice young man," we still invited her to attend his opening nights (musicals and operettas) with us. He always took us ladies to dinner beforehand and made it a lovely evening for her in every way. It was especially important to me once the family had to make the difficult decision that she needed to go to a medical care facility. She looked forward to her "dates" all day and enjoyed herself immensely. I know perfectly well that she didn't remember all that much toward the end, but I did and my DH did. He never regretted for one moment spending the time to be patient and kind to her.

beachchick

Let me see if I can throw some info your way.

My dh and I are traveling with our dd in April on the Majesty of the Seas. I was just looking for some sugesstions that I might not have thought about for traveling with her.

I have been on lots of cruises but this is the first one I will be going on as a mom.

She will be 13 months at the time of the cruise. My first thought is how to get whole milk for her when I need it and how to keep it cold.

Ask for whole milk in the dining venues and from room service, I am sure that they have it in board. If your inlaws have a fridge in their suite keep it there. If not then get your steward to bring an extra ice bucket and keep it on ice. It will stay plenty cold that way (in fact it will probably be colder in the ice than in the fridge).

We have a crib reserved and I plan to make baby sitting arrangements as soon as we board.

Good idea

We are traveling with my in-laws and they have reserved an "owners suite" that has a bathtub - lucky for me...I can give her a bath.

I have heard that no swim diapers are allowed in the pool - is this really enforced? -

This is true. Don't take it personally. In spite of the claims of diaper makers swim diapers are not water or leak proof. Since the water leaks in it also leaks out and any of the normal germs that might result from an accident will leak out and contaminate the entire pool. Even if material doesn't escape the bacteria and viruses do, and the pools are not chlorinated so it is a big mess. (The normal salt water kills most of the germs not not as quickly as chlorine.)

We went with the early seating because she gets so cranky by 8 pm.

Good thinking

I have 3 months before the cruise, but I can't wait and want to make sure I have all my bases covered for my baby.

Make sure you take everything that you think will need and then add 25% more of it. As far as diapers are concerned take double what you think you might need because there is no source of diapers on the ship and if she gets out of sorts she may go through a lot more than you think.

Have a good time.

Absolutely. I am very surprised you're asking because it's CDC regulation. Feces can seriously contaminate pool water and swim diapers are not leakproof.

It's not like they're out to ruin your child's cruise experience. The health of the other passengers is more important. Bring a small blow up pool for the child to use; don't put him/her in the main pool.

I think that some people should lighten up and just be happy that people are asking questions like that, and be thankful that we "usually" have a safe place for those question to be asked.

LOL! I knew you'd get flamed about this and your following post. Heaven forbid anyone should enter a negative post--it's all sweetness and love in here.

But, I totally agree with you. When our child was born, we waited several years before going on a vacation with many others around, both for our sanity and the others. But, in today's society, no one can make a sacrifice.

I particularly get a laugh out of parents who feel they need to take their 2 and 3 year olds to places like Disney World. Nothing funnier than seeing parents with these crying, red-faced kids on their shoulders around 3 pm, dragging along the strollers and bags, all having a great time. All for something the kids will never remember. We took our son to Disney when he turned 9, and he barely remembers it.

Oh, I almost forgot. The idea about bringing along an inflatable pool is really a great idea. How is it gonna get filled up? A glass of water at a time from the restaurant? Or, "oh, deck boy, can you get a hose to fill this with?"

They don't remember trips to Walmart at that age either, but we take them, crying or not. Often they are easier to deal with than 9 year olds.

My first thought is how to get whole milk for her when I need it and how to keep it cold.

OK, I'm back from the Jewel and we picked up whole milk at the Windjammer every morning - filled my son's sippy immediately and saved a carton for my niece. (Niece is 13 months old.) My sister kept the extra cartons in her fridge with no problem, but I had a sippy of milk go bad in our fridge. I don't know how long it was in there (we had two sippies of milk going) but I couldn't figure out how to get the fridge colder. I had no trouble getting juice for him.

• 2 years later...
My dh and I are traveling with our dd in April on the Majesty of the Seas. I was just looking for some sugesstions that I might not have thought about for traveling with her.

I have been on lots of cruises but this is the first one I will be going on as a mom.

She will be 13 months at the time of the cruise. My first thought is how to get whole milk for her when I need it and how to keep it cold.

We have a crib reserved and I plan to make baby sitting arrangements as soon as we board. We are traveling with my in-laws and they have reserved an "owners suite" that has a bathtub - lucky for me...I can give her a bath.

I have heard that no swim diapers are allowed in the pool - is this really enforced? -

We went with the early seating because she gets so cranky by 8 pm.

I have 3 months before the cruise, but I can't wait and want to make sure I have all my bases covered for my baby.

On the radiance with. 16 month old. All is very well and everyone very welcoming. Granted we do not let her cry/fuss in any public areas. First nap was tough on her she screamed and could be heard 5 doors away. New place new room new crib(hers but she only slept in it 5 times at home). This a child who never cries

Fridge is funky with a pressure sensitive switch for working. Have not used as much of her food as in the past( we spend more time serving her table food).

Ask away I'll try and answer! Day at sea tomorrow

On the radiance with. 16 month old. All is very well and everyone very welcoming. Granted we do not let her cry/fuss in any public areas. First nap was tough on her she screamed and could be heard 5 doors away. New place new room new crib(hers but she only slept in it 5 times at home). This a child who never cries

Fridge is funky with a pressure sensitive switch for working. Have not used as much of her food as in the past( we spend more time serving her table food).

Ask away I'll try and answer! Day at sea tomorrow

This thread is two years old...

###

Get a sound machine for your room at night. All 3 of my boys use them in their bedrooms for "white noise" since we live on a main street. 2 love the ocean sound and the other likes the rain sound. We always take them when we go on vacation to drown out outside noises while we sleep--like doors slamming, loud people walking the halls or even just mom or dad getting up to pee in the middle of the night ;)

Archived