Galaxy - Med tour -do you go past Stromboli islands?

tinka14

I will be on the Galaxy on 3rd Oct this year on the Eastern Med 10 day tour - she sails into Messina, Sicily. Does anybody know if she sails past the Aeolian island of Stromboli or in particular whether she sails near the volcano so you can see it erupting..it's meant to be spectacular at night.

Tinka14

Last summer we went by it twice. Once in the early morning, and then again at night with a full moon. It was fabulous--a sight to remember.

The deck aft of the Oasis is fabulous for viewing. I had gone up there to have my morning coffee, and there it was! I hadn't expected it, but once I saw it I knew what it was! (I'm a geologist). We didn't see any volcanic activity--if we had it would have made my cruise!

Study the maps carefully as you will go by many fabulous sights with no advance warning, and the crew almost never knows what the sights are. What a wonderful trip you have to look forward to!

Leigh

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - thanks for your replies..we were glued to the TV map (maybe we'll bring a map with us too) of where we were sailing on the Majesty of the Seas and of course in the CC cabin we also have binos! I love to take lots of pics so any smoke or fire would be fantastic esp at night! Now I think about it the ship must sail back past Messina on it's way to Naples so that would be the best bet....it's only Feb and I am so looking forward to this cruise already!

Tinka14

Hi,

My husband and I were on the Galaxy last October for a 14 day med cruise. We did pass by Stromboli, unfortunately it was in the early am. You will love this itinerary and ship. We had a wonderful time. We just returned from a 12 day cruise on one of the large RCI cruise ships to the caribbean. It couldn't hold a candle to the Galaxy, even though this particular ship has all the latest bells and whistles. We just booked a caribbean cruise on the Galaxy so my family can experience what they didn't on our last cruise. Have fun!:)

When I was on the Marco Polo years ago sailing from Istanbul to Rome our captain pulled alongside Stromboli about 10 Pm one evening and just stopped the ship. We all scrambled to the topside to watch the incredible eruption and the molten red lava flowing down the hillsides--"spectacular" doesn't even begin to describe it. When I say we "all" rushed up, that is all but my then-husband, who would not leave the blackjack table for five minutes to see this amazing sight. Just one of many reasons he is now my ex!

:p Cathy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the 2 latest posts, esp Cathycruises your story about your ex hubby made me laugh.!!!:) .we seem to have a thing for volcanos so seeing Stromboli lighting up would be fantastic - really hoping that we see something!

Archived