January 3-12 QM2 Rundown

BoscoBreaux

..... I hope Cunard have not begun allowing entertainers to eat in the passenger restaurants and buffet. .. I just got back from a Princess cruise and was appalled to see the help regularly eating in the passenger buffet and using passenger areas. This awful policy is too low to be had by Cunard!

So, the classical pianist, the lovely lady harpist, the brilliant cocktail-pianists are not fit to eat in the passenger buffet? One would think these people were there to scrub the decks. Judging by some of the comments on this board I know who I would rather chat to over a meal!

Can you elaborate on this please? I hope Cunard have not begun allowing entertainers to eat in the passenger restaurants and buffet like on Princess Cruises. I just got back from a Princess cruise and was appalled to see the help regularly eating in the passenger buffet and using passenger areas. This awful policy is too low to be had by Cunard!

You are being facetious, aren't you????

Snobbery - I have detested it in all its forms throughout my life, and from the above am very glad that my Cunard experiences haven't resulted in encounters with some of the outlooks above.

We are just back from a QE2 ten nighter and I will say now quite clearly that I got very tired of tux every night!

For that reason we used the Lido now and then, and as long as the jacket was worn on entry that seemed to be that - and welcomed the opportunity to talk to officers and entertainers who have just as much right to enjoy their leisure time as any of these "I'm better than you merchants" .

Tux in a tropical climate I cannot do - and I use the word "cannot" not "wish not to" Why should that exclude me from cruising - Cunard or otherwise?

If you are so anti social that my view offends - then please note - I'm not changing - your call!

Can you elaborate on this please? I hope Cunard have not begun allowing entertainers to eat in the passenger restaurants and buffet like on Princess Cruises. I just got back from a Princess cruise and was appalled to see the help regularly eating in the passenger buffet and using passenger areas. This awful policy is too low to be had by Cunard!

Some of those on board to entertain passengers eat in the Queens' Grill. Better them than you.

Matthew

...yet they don't mutiny in the same way Cunardophiles do at the issue.

Absolutement!

There will indeed be a mutiny if anyone tries to tamper with our stuffy, beloved dress code. And Captain Rynd assured me if he were driving the ship when/if improperly dressed passengers invaded, he would go fast whilst we marched the interlopers off the plank.

And then we'll bring some entertainers with us to the Queens Grill for dinner.

Finished now, Judy. ;)

We are just back from a QE2 ten nighter and I will say now quite clearly that I got very tired of tux every night/quote]

You wore a tux every night on a ten-night cruise? Surely not EVERY night was a 'Formal' dress evening?

we used the Lido now and then, and as long as the jacket was worn on entry that seemed to be that/quote]

From your above post, do we conclude that you removed your jacket once you had gained entrance to the Lido? The Dress Code given in the Cunard Voyage Guide suggests that gentlemen are required to wear a jacket when in the Lido - not merely when entering it!

Snobbery - I have detested it in all its forms throughout my life/quote]

Frank, I agree with you totally on this point; but I do wonder if you are sometimes confusing 'snobbery' with an individuals wish to dress appropriately for any given venue and/or occasion - even if they do so out of common courtesy to their fellow passengers.

Regards,

David

I will leave it to the gentlemen here to discuss sartorial matters and how much they cost.

I do know that, as expressed earlier, it's the wearing of the jacket or not that is involved in the gentlemanly determination. No idea about the price of said jacket.

Thats it for me....off down the market tomorrow for a burberry base ball cap....i have read and read and read all their is about what to wear...what not to wear...and my god that man is wearing a cummerbund.....but cant find nowt about a base ball cap/hat to dinner....

Now that will be a photo, bucket of beer and a burberry cap ;)

Brian

Thats it for me....off down the market tomorrow for a burberry base ball cap....i have read and read and read all their is about what to wear...what not to wear...and my god that man is wearing a cummerbund.....but cant find nowt about a base ball cap/hat to dinner....

Brian

:D

And if you don't post the pictures here of a vision like that there will be yet another mutiny. BTW, you can borrow Muzzy's beer bucket.

Sorry forgot to add, that i will be wearing my very very expensive suit, WTG ASDA (Walmart) £15.00 yes £15.00....

I will be easy to spot bucket of beer, expensive suit and a dapper of a hat..

This is not meant to cause offense to those of you with a cheaper suit, just having a bit of fun

Brian

Brian

And don't forget your sequined thongs, dear (that's "flip-flops" on the American market) :D

Sorry forgot to add, that i will be wearing my very very expensive suit, WTG ASDA (Walmart) £15.00 yes £15.00....

I will be easy to spot bucket of beer, expensive suit and a dapper of a hat..

This is not meant to cause offense to those of you with a cheaper suit, just having a bit of fun

Brian

Chavtastic, baby! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
A Côtes du Rhône (red) can be produced from Granache Noir, Cinsault, Carignane, Counoise or Syrah grapes. It is called Syrah in France, Argentina, Chile and most of the United States. In South Africa, Australia and Canada it is known as Shiraz. Perhaps, being pedantic, when referring to a Rhône wine, the grape should be called 'Syrah' as opposed to "Shiraz", but I don't think that this would 'make a real sommelier shudder'.

Regards,

David

HEY HEY HEY!!! Don't forget the great underappreciated but very important Mourvedre grape for a red Rhone!!! They are making some nice ones out in California. If it was a Chateauneuf-du-Pape it also would have included Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault, Counoise, Muscardin, Terret Noir and Vaccarese, as well as the white varietals of Roussane (my fave as a single varietal!), Bourboulenc, Picardin, Clairette, Grenache Blanc, Picpoul and Bourboulenc, however, they have been leaving out the whites (with the exception of Roussane) in the last 10 years or so.

Anyhoo, for ANY sommelier to call a Syrah (whether it be a Rhone or a California) a "Sheeraz" is wine blasphamy.

I was checking out this board for a friend's mother who will be cruising on the QM2 in March. I travel with 2 couples from Darlington and Kent most of the time, but they sure don't seem to have one stuck up theirs like you people do. This poor man posted "his" opinions and you people (the majority of you being british) go off and attack him like he was clicking photos in the Paris tunnel. How inviting you all are! Shame! To the Westchester (Portchester?) british wannbe, tsk tsk tsk! Picking up bad habits. RICHARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY HEY HEY!!! Don't forget the great underappreciated but very important Mourvedre grape for a red Rhone!!! They are making some nice ones out in California. If it was a Chateauneuf-du-Pape it also would have included Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault, Counoise, Muscardin, Terret Noir and Vaccarese, as well as the white varietals of Roussane (my fave as a single varietal!), Bourboulenc, Picardin, Clairette, Grenache Blanc, Picpoul and Bourboulenc, however, they have been leaving out the whites (with the exception of Roussane) in the last 10 years or so.

Anyhoo, for ANY sommelier to call a Syrah (whether it be a Rhone or a California) a "Sheeraz" is wine blasphamy.

I was checking out this board for a friend's mother who will be cruising on the QM2 in March. I travel with 2 couples from Darlington and Kent most of the time, but they sure don't seem to have one stuck up theirs like you people do. This poor man posted "his" opinions and you people (the majority of you being british) go off and attack him like he was clicking photos in the Paris tunnel. How inviting you all are! Shame! To the Westchester (Portchester?) british wannbe, tsk tsk tsk! Picking up bad habits. RICHARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing.

To everyone who is supposed to be ashamed: Please hang your heads and observe a moment of silence.......shameful silence.......

WOw...I'm a bit late to this party aren't I??? How did I miss this fracas?:rolleyes: Probably just as well since most of you know where my allegiance lies and why....I LOVE the formality...I LOVE the heritage....OK, no surprise here...I LOVE QM2, and I don't believe anyone has ever found reason to call me a snob. After reading this thread perhaps I am....:rolleyes:

Angela...I have observed that moment of silence. Can I come up now?

And are the majority of us British??? Angela?? Bettie?? ML?? Judy?? Paul?? Me? Personally I think we have a nice mix of both sides of the pond here...interestingly we tend to agree on these points.

OK, I'm done....:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Hi Angela!

Need your honest opinion - for the semi-formal night (Sunday 2/17), will I be out of place in an ivory dinner jacket, black pants, white shirt and paisley bow tie? I know it will be winter, but perhaps the Bahamas is tropic like? Be gentle if you disagree, as I do intend to try it out (as I just bought it!).

Oh, and I have been working on the music for "I've got you..." Thinking it will be not up to snuff by next week, but who knows...I hope I didn't get Penny (or your) hopes up too high...

Michael

Oh, and I have been working on the music for "I've got you..." Thinking it will be not up to snuff by next week, but who knows...I hope I didn't get Penny (or your) hopes up too high...

Michael

Hopes up high Michael??? Of course you did...I'm waiting for the DVD of this event...or at least a tape. This is MY song we're talking about here...practise, practise, practise. If you wait til they all have enough martinis, they won't notice the clunker or two...:eek:

Keep at it kiddo....I'm counting on you to immortalize little old me ;)

Oh....I leave the white DJ to Angela...I've not been a fan of whites...I have a real thing for the black...tie loosened of course late at night :D

Cheers, penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Hi Angela!

Need your honest opinion - for the semi-formal night (Sunday 2/17), will I be out of place in an ivory dinner jacket, black pants, white shirt and paisley bow tie? I know it will be winter, but perhaps the Bahamas is tropic like? Be gentle if you disagree, as I do intend to try it out (as I just bought it!).

Michael

<cough cough> Paisley bow tie <cough cough> Oh dear. :D

Ok, Michael, here we go. Yes, it's tropical enough for the ivory dinner jacket. Paulie wore his on several Informal nights last month and I imagine will do so again in the future.

Since you are talking about the Informal night I believe one might indeed enjoy wearing a paisley tie. As long as black tie (preferably self-tied) is worn the Formal night.

Coloured vs black ties have been debated for pages here, and self-tied vs pre-tied. I think you may have dodged the minefield by asking about Informal, rather than Formal. :p OTOH, we'll see...

Hopes up high Michael??? Of course you did...I'm waiting for the DVD of this event...or at least a tape. This is MY song we're talking about here...practise, practise, practise. If you wait til they all have enough martinis, they won't notice the clunker or two...:eek:

Keep at it kiddo....I'm counting on you to immortalize little old me ;)

Oh....I leave the white DJ to Angela...I've not been a fan of whites...I have a real thing for the black...tie loosened of course late at night :D

Cheers, penny

Let's just say my hopes aren't up as high as Penny's.

Archived