All things Independence of the Seas

All this talk of snacking and food just makes me wish I was there right now. I absolutely LOVE the promenade cafe and if I ever lose my teens, I know that's where they will be. However with pizza on the Independent, I think that will become the new number one spot! I so missed the Promenade on the Brilliance at Christmas. I knew I would, but it was awesome to go through the Panama canal and I just had to do that.

Liz - thanks for keeping us updated about what us Brits can watch re cruising etc. Any info is greatly received. Keep up the good work - you are obviously a very resourceful young lady!! Thanks.

Lisa - the soda cards are an absolute must for my teens too. When they are with me they also supply Mum and Dad with the cokes/sprites we drink during the day. Well worth it....

The Independence of the Seas was on our local news this morning (I live near southampton). They showed the Promenade area and how 'raw' everything still is. They say the transformation will be very sudden from now on. Work is still very much in progress. The outside looked good.

We are sailing on her for New Year and have been on 3 of the Voyager class ships but not the Freedom class and I can't wait. I will be waiting in Southampton to see her come in as I did with the Freedom and the Liberty. Roll on spring.....

Have they named a Godmother for the Big I ???

Surely it must be somebody quintessentially English - so how about Jordan or Victoria Beckham..?;)

Geez Albert I am sure we could come up with shall we say "different" names than the two you mentioned :eek:

How about Dame Judi Dench?

George :D I would say another couple of weeks yet before the invites arrive,it was 13th Feb last year before my postman got an extra big smile from me instead of the usual .."grumph ta"

English Rose :D I am just so excited about the ID coming here for her maiden season...mind you I was excited last year when the Liberty was here for her Pre-Inaugurals...but this year my brain is in overdrive hahah..my friends at RCCL UK office think I am nuts ahhaha

With regards to Pre-Inaugurals in Norway, I received email from a nice gentleman earlier who gave me the dates for the Oslo Pre-Inaugurals,

Mon 21st April Oslo arrival 12pm

Tue 22nd April Oslo depart 5pm

Wed 23rd April Oslo arrival 7am depart 12pm

Perhaps someone knows of a webcam on which we could see the ship in Oslo??

Thanks to the gentleman who was kind enough to pass this onto us all.:D

Hi Eileen

yes we will definitely meet up for a birthday toast!

Cobh is quite small, it's nice just to walk round to see a typical Irish small village we were quite an attraction when we arrived last year and it was a national holiday too so there was a traditional music competition and a market on. I'm not sure we'll enjoy the same this year. There was a small exhibition at the port itself about the great liners that used to leave from there which was interesting. When we arrived the streets were lined with people there to see the ship or meet friends coming off it, they were allowed extremely close to the ship. The atmosphere was very special.

We'd originally booked a tour to visit a farm whose owners are quite well known in Ireland for their hospitality but unfortunately it was cancelled due to lack of interest. There is a train into Cork from near the port. We've been a few times before to Cork itself, it is quite a small 'city', by US standards probably classed as a small town with really not that much touristy stuff going on, there is the gaol to visit though or you could go up to Blarney Castle outside the city centre and kiss the stone.

Berni

Liz,

Thanks for starting this thread! We will be on the June 14th sailing and are so excited. We also look forward to several pre-cruise days in England.

2 questions for our UK friends:

1) If you could recommend any hotel in London, what would it be?

2) We may have to fly back to the US on the day Independence arrives back in Southhampton. What time would be the earliest you would recommend flying out of Gatwick on the day of arrival?

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice. So you in June!

hi liz/elizanessie, many many thanks for all the info you are posting about the independence. im lucky enough to be on the 2nd may sailing with my husband and inlaws and have just seen your wonderful photo,s of liberty of the seas gosh what a beautiful ship!! it makes the wait even harder now after seeing such fabulous pictures. dh would very much like to know when & where naming ceremony takes place, i would assume it would take place in southampton?

regards anita

Can't help with London Hotels.:o ..sorry only stayed in one and that was at Gatwick Airport,Travelodge. But I am sure there are others here who can answer that one.

Flight back to USA..well I would allow for at least 4 hours back from Southampton to LGW (thats how long it took us on transfer coach last year). Perhaps someone who did the Navigator this past summer will be able to advise on this?

Naming ceremony...no word on when that will be yet,trying to get that info but none of my friends at RCCL UK know yet (or cant say) I would guess it will be sometime between 26 April -2nd May at Southampton.

New York...I would say that will be a no-no..sorry. :o

The ID will be making history when she leaves UK/Europe as she will be the largest cruise ship to do a Transatlantic passenger voyage as she heads for her winter season from FLL in Nov 08. ( Ok I cheated on that info,found it in amongst press releases RCCL site ):p

Liz,

Thanks for starting this thread! We will be on the June 14th sailing and are so excited. We also look forward to several pre-cruise days in England.

We're on the same cruise:) I am so excited about it.

This thread is great, there is some excellent information coming out about the Indy, thanks to all of you who are contributing.

One quick question, we've only been on the Navigator which didn't have a Sorrento's, what sort of thing does Sorrento's serve and do we have to pay for it?

Thanks

Pam

Hi Pam :D

Sorrentos is a really nice pizza place. It does have more than pizzas though it has desserts, cookies, paninis, pasta salad, bruschettas...and all at no extra charge.:D It was one of the places we missed most while on the Navigator :( having had it on the Freedom.

Now..Oslo...yes we have the Oslo webcam link, a big heartfelt thanks to Roland for sending this :D

http://www.ohv.oslo.no/cgi-bin/ohv/imaker?id=15072&visdybde=2&aktiv=15072

Liz

I read that you were booked om the Indi but called off, what was wrong was it the Port or passengers on the Navigator?

Hi George :D

In a word...passengers :(

I loved all the ports, loved the ship but sadly the passengers just were "different" shall I say and my 18 yr old son refused to cruise again...well until Genesis comes out :rolleyes: and no way could I afford to go solo :eek:

I understand that :(

We were on the cruise from hell out of Port Lyberty on the Explorer and vowed never again.

Hope the invite pops through the door soon :)

Do you know if the Indi will be calling into Hamburg ? we have friends there who are hoping the postman will be calling on them as well.

Hi everyone!

We are first time cruisers (me, hubby and 2 boys 5 and 12) and are going on the Independence for a 10 night Canaries on 21st May.

I dont think I have ever been so excited about a holiday!!!

Its also great for us as we live about 1 and a half hours from Southampton.

Thanks so much for this thread. Lots of great info coming in.

:D :D (also delighted that pools will be heated, especially on the initial part of the cruise, as we all know what the weather can be like this side of the pond in May (and June and July and August and ..........!!!)

I understand that :(

We were on the cruise from hell out of Port Lyberty on the Explorer and vowed never again.

Hope the invite pops through the door soon :)

Do you know if the Indi will be calling into Hamburg ? we have friends there who are hoping the postman will be calling on them as well.

George

I felt so sorry for a lot of the crew,they had had a rough first season sailing from Soton, and I think a lot of them were looking forward to getting back to Caribbean. The demographics were "different";).

Haven't heard anything about Hamburg...mmm...now I am thinking...if ID is in Soton till 30th April ..and first pax sailing is on 2nd May..what will she be doing in the two days between that?..mmm...now I have my mission for today...thanks :p :D

Hi everyone!

We are first time cruisers (me, hubby and 2 boys 5 and 12) and are going on the Independence for a 10 night Canaries on 21st May.

I dont think I have ever been so excited about a holiday!!!

Its also great for us as we live about 1 and a half hours from Southampton.

Thanks so much for this thread. Lots of great info coming in.

:D :D (also delighted that pools will be heated, especially on the initial part of the cruise, as we all know what the weather can be like this side of the pond in May (and June and July and August and ..........!!!)

Boohooooo...now you have me upset...you are on the sailing I was booked on....boo hoo sniff.:(

You will have a great time I bet...wish I only lived a short distance from Soton...geez I would be forever cruising with RCCL :D I keep saying to my son.."how about moving to England"..his answer "you go mum and I will look after our house here,but can you take the dog".

Hi Pam :D

Sorrentos is a really nice pizza place. It does have more than pizzas though it has desserts, cookies, paninis, pasta salad, bruschettas...and all at no extra charge.:D It was one of the places we missed most while on the Navigator :( having had it on the Freedom.

Now..Oslo...yes we have the Oslo webcam link, a big heartfelt thanks to Roland for sending this :D

http://www.ohv.oslo.no/cgi-bin/ohv/imaker?id=15072&visdybde=2&aktiv=15072

Thanks for that Liz, I now have the webcam link saved as a favorite.

I think I'm going to love Sorrentos, and as our cabin looks like its right above it I wont have far to go to get a fix:D

Pam

Thanks Cheryl for that info :D

Yes I agree it was a slow coach we had back from Liberty,traffic problems I believe. I did read somewhere of others having similiar delays coming back from Soton at another time which is why I mentioned allowing for 4 hours. Oh heck and LGW can be a nightmare sometimes :eek:

George :D

All I have found so far on Hamburg is from the first press releases and they said "Hamburg,Oslo & Southampton for the Pre-Inaugurals" but haven't found anything more concrete yet. For all we know they might do a 2 night Pre-Inaugural from Soton calling at Hamburg?? Would this be possible do you think??

JJ :D

I believe RCCL learnt a lot from last summer's NV sailings, a learning curve I guess you could say,thankfully you and I know they can do better and this year's sailings will be much better for everyone. I really wish I was going to the Med this year either on NV or ID.

We were on the Nav last year - nightmare !!

Read my review !!

jj.....

jj

Please could you post a link to your review or is there an easier way for me to find it? We were on the Navigator last year but as it was our first ever cruise we were probably oblivious to anything that wasn't right or any problems. We were the dumbstruck ones walking round with our mouths open saying 'Wow, isnt this fantastic' all the time:D

Boohooooo...now you have me upset...you are on the sailing I was booked on....boo hoo sniff.:(

You will have a great time I bet...wish I only lived a short distance from Soton...geez I would be forever cruising with RCCL :D I keep saying to my son.."how about moving to England"..his answer "you go mum and I will look after our house here,but can you take the dog".

Sorry Liz, will have a glass of bubbly for you on sail away........:)