1st timer in Casa de Campo

irishsailor

and can tell you what NOT to do in Casa De Campo.

Do NOT book the Catamaran Sail & Snorkel - CT02 thru RC. It was by far the worst excursion we were ever on. The reef we were taken to off of Catalina Island was all but dead, very few fish but there was a lot of garbage IN the water.

The beach was also strewn with garbage, the 'boss' lady on the catamaran said it washed up from hurricane damage 5 years ago but this was FRESH garbage. My kids also saw used hypodermic needles laying around...a definite health hazard.

The catamaran did not have proper snorkeling vests, we had to use the orange life preserver-type that are used for saving people lives by turning you over on your back...It was hard to keep our faces IN the water when the vest kept wanting to flip us over on our back. The actual snorkel time was only 45 minutes and that would have been too short under most circumstances but this time we couldn't wait to get out of the water.

There were also no fruit skewers or fruit punch as advertised. They only had Coke, Coke Light (Diet) and a jug of tap water that I refused to drink out of. (YUK)

However, the rum was flowing freely...guess to make everyone forget about how bad this excursion was. We complained to RC and the situation was rectified to our satisfaction.

Enjoy Casa De Campo.... just don't waste your time and money by booking this excursion.

pepperm1...The ONLY beach we were on during the Catamaran excursion was part of Catalina island which is an uninhabited island just off the shore line from where the Explorer docks. This was NOT a public beach such a Bayahibe (sp).

We were pretty shocked at the quality of this excursion since it was thru RC. We normally book private tours like Capt. Marvins (in Grand Cayman) & Phil Lafayette (in Ocho Rios) but since there wasn't much info on these boards about private tours, we figured we would just book thru RC for once.

There were many first-time snorkelers on this excursion that thought it was OK cuz they had nothing else to compare it to. I also spoke to a few other people who were equally disappointed AND disgusted but didn't think complaining would do any good.

Luckily, I had digital pictures to document things, so it was hard for RC to dispute our findings.

Glendon3281,

Did you think Catalina Island was a waste? I have booked to go to this island with a ship excursion, so very much want to know if the beach there is not nice. I had read previously the island was nice.

Thanks.

A member of our party had been to Catalina Island a few years ago and thought it was awesome, so when we heard we were going to Catalina Island we were excited. However, he said with our RC snorkel excursion, we anchored on North side of the island vs he had previously been on the South side of the island.

At all times, we could fully see the Explorer from where we were anchored and could see another cruise ship docked in the distance on the South side of Catalina but couldn't tell what ship it was.

I can't imagine a beach excursion going to this area. I'm hoping the beach excursion would go to the South side???

Archived