Adventure Ocean Kids Program- UGGH!

vspnj

We recently returned from sailing on the Mariner 1/6/08. Awesome ship, awesome vacation I have only one complaint. The staff at Adventure Ocean, primarliy "Greecia" should get another job if she doesn't like being around kids.

I know that's harsh but I tried to get my 7 year old son to go to the program, who is a bit shy until he gets involved and we were unsuccessful for the duration of the trip. We went to the first family show, everyone seemed nice. Later that night when I brought him up there to fill out the paperwork, no one was talking to the kids or trying to get them involved. The next time I bribed him to go there when we arrived and I signed him in, Greecia just walked away. I had to say "Can he come in now?, she was like "Oh, yeah" That was it he turned around an boycotted the entire program.:confused: :mad:

I'd expect people working with the kids to have more energy and enthusiasm for the program. At least ask his name and tell him all the fun things you're doing there.

We loved Mariner but I have to say that Carnival Miracle does a much better job with their kids program.:eek:

In this case, one bad apple does spoil the bunch. I had the same issues on FOS back in April. My 3 year old was in AO with a counselor who should never work with children. She tried to evict my 3 year old from AO because she colored off of her paper with markers and got marker on the table :rolleyes:

Then on Day 3 she asked if my just turned 3 year old "spoke English"...when we had been very specific on Day 1nthat she had a speech delay at the time (tubes were placed in her ears the week before the cruise)

I went to the head of AO and got instant results. The counselor was removed from my daughter's group. She was a new hire.

And I agree, my 3 year old thrives in camp carnival.

Now, on the flip side, my 7 year old loves AO and Camp Carnival. She is happy with either one. BUT she's had good counselors on every cruise.

I am sorry that happend to you.:(

You should have gone straight to the director and talked with them about your concerns instead of just leaving and never going back.

I am not sure about your cruise but there were multiple councelors in the 3-5yr old group, not just one. There was only one that I didn't go gaga over (not mean but not crazy fun) - the rest were fabulous. Since there was 2-3 councelors at one time, it wasn't an issue ever anyway. I can understand how one person can put a huge damper on the situation though - especially with a 3yr old.

I hope not only did you go to the Adventure Ocean director but you also wrote that person up in your "rate the cruise" card the last day. If people don't speak up right away, nothing might change for others.

Also - advice to others: There are SO many kids the first night. I think parents need to take the initiative on the first night of going up the councelors, introducing themselves - talk about any concerns, how to handle them - any advice? I know they SHOULD come over and make your child feel wanted asap but there are so many kids sometimes. I asked many questions about them too and we joked around. By Day 2 everyone knew my daughter and she had a great time all week.

Archived