Cruising at Christmas time?

Butterfly~kisses!

We're thinking about booking a cruise for Christmas this year. I'd love to get some input on what it's like to cruise at Christmas re. shows, music, decorations, food, entertainment etc. We're really looking for a vacation with a very 'Christmas/Holiday' feel to it and don't want to set ourselves up for disappointment, kwim?

I did it last year. The ship went over Christmas and New Years. We got on the ship Christmas Eve for 9 nights. I won't do it again, but thats just me. It felt no way like Christmas. A New Years cruise for me is much better. Next Christmas I will be at home, but next New Years I hope to spend on the Carnival Freedom. The New Years party on deck is worth the trip alone. I went on the Legend 2 years ago just for New Years and all the Christmas stuff was still up and the Christmas music was still playing. IMO News Year's is a better cruise.

Disappointed? Possibly.

My advice is to look through the board of the last few weeks and read some reviews from folks who were on holiday sailings.

We've sailed the week before Christmas on these past two cruises and have loved it. Overall good weather, not nearly so hot as spring/summer, great prices, and it's nice to return home after the cruise and still have a couple of days holiday to relax before returning to work.

The ships are nicely decorated, and Santa was waiting outside the dining room one night, but I read a recent review that someone was disappointed that more wasn't made of the Christmas holiday. People need to remember that not everyone on the cruise may celebrate Christmas and that the cruiseline has to take that into consideration, as well.

I really didn't notice the decorations on the Miracle, but I know they were there. Garland on the railings, a tree in the Lobby, gingerbread house display, blaring Christmas songs on the PA at the aft pool deck (I'd rather hear salsa or island tunes, personally). And I believe one of the evening's entertainment was holiday-themed, but I didn't attend.

We were on the Fascination 12/24-12/28 this year. There were some holiday decorations up. There was some Christmasy music, but not much. The shows, music, etc. were pretty much all the same as they would have been any other time of year. Even our formal night, which fell on 12/25, was nothing out of the ordinary. I actually forgot it was Christmas season until I heard Christmas music in Cozumel!

This worked great for us, DH isn't a big fan of holiday music. But for a family or couple who wants that holiday feel - we certainly didn't get that. Perhaps other ships or other lines do more with the holidays.

We were on the Liberty on Christmas 2006. The main lobby had some decorations, but not a huge amount. We were in port on Christmas day, but in the late afternoon they held a Christmas show with the singers and dancers and children from camp Carnival.

We were on the Freedom this past Christmas. There were plenty of holiday decorations and a trimmed Christmas tree in the lobby. There were sometimes when Christmas carols were played or sung. The only time I saw Santa was for photo ops, but then I wasn't looking to find him as my two sons that accompanied me are adult. No religious services. We were at sea on Christmas Day. I believe there might have been a turkey dinner on the menu Christmas night in the dining room. I opted for another entre. If you are wanting a Christmas wonderland atmosphere, I would not opt for this kind of vacation. Personally, my family has had a tough time around Christmas losing some family members, so a low key holiday really "hit the spot" for us. But we did put up a great looking Christmas wreath on our cabin door. We really are not "humbugs". And my kids remarked it was the "best Christmas ever"....so go figure.

My mom, dad and I cruised on the Glory over this past Christmas. We really enjoyed it not so much for the "warm, fuzzy" holiday feeling but we were happy to get away from all the snow. My mom was most appreciative of the fact that she didn't have to cook Christmas dinner or be in the stores doing the Christmas shopping.

The ship was decorated, Christmas songs were played over the PA system and some of the musicians played Christmas songs at some point or other. There was a carol sing around the Christmas tree in the lobby on Christmas eve and a special Christmas show one night, can't comment on it as I didn't go.

All afternoon right after embarkation, endles free glasses of champagne was served all over the ship. Egg nog was availablew from the drink fountain and there was a turkey dinner available on the menu Christmas night (I had the filet mignon instead).

There were lots of extended families on board and all ages reperesented, from babies to Grandparents. For the most part those groups kept to themselves, though sometimes they tended to overwhelm any area they congregated.

I would do it again, just because I liked being able to go snorkelling on CHristmas day, not for celebrating Christmas on board.

As Christmas week is one of the only weeks that fit into our work schedule, we love cruising during this week. We already have next Christmas (Miracle) booked, and I am very close to booking the Victory for Christmas 2009. While we do not cruise specifically for that holiday, we do cruise for the family togetherness we get that week, along with an all-around wonderful vacation for my whole family. Truthfully, I would enjoy sailing ANY time - Christmas is so expensive. We do not go on the ship for the decorations, music, etc. found at that time of year. We do it to get away from the NY cold, see new ports/islands, and to actually sit together for lunch and dinner, which we never get to do at home - LOL.

If Christmas feel means sitting outside in the sun by the pool with a fou-fou drink in your hand then a Christmas cruise is for you.

If Christmas means the foods and desserts and holiday traditions that you grew up with, then it's not for you.

We did it once. Won't do it again but that is because the nieces and nephew would rather go to Disney World for Christmas. At least there, they have fake snow. :p

DH and I sailed on a Christmas/New Years cruise and LOVED IT! The ship was beautiful in itself but not covered with decorations or anything. We had brought a very small fake christmas tree with lights and such and every night when we got back to our room it had been plugged in and turned on for us.

I think if you are looking for a very traditional christmas you will be very disappointed. If on the other hand you are looking for a great way to get away with some family, relax, and not have the hussle and bussle of the holidays then you'll love it just like we did.

Which ever way you decide to go, enjoy it! :)

Our last three cruises have been over Christmas. You'll see some tasteful decorations, hear some Christmas music, have a camp carnival Christmas show, and have a traditional Christmas dinner.

Other than that, not much different than other cruises. For us, it was a lot warmer than our normal Christmas in Ky.:D

As a member of the Buddhist faith and my husband an Orthodox Christian, we usually do something different for the traditional holiday season. We've never cruised during this time and am wondering if it would be something we might enjoy. I don't mind the songs or the decorations. santa would kind of get on my nerves:)

we're thinking of the miracle on the 23rd ouf of Fll. Any info on this cruise or itinerary would be greatly appreciated. We're hitting to East Coast to St. Kitt's,St.Lucia;s, etc. /thanks to all Shelly

We were on Fascination from 12/25/06-12/31/06. Christmas is not my holiday (so the warm fuzzy feeling was not a concern).

There was Christmas music playing for days. Lots of decorations. Christmas that seemed to be very popular among those who were celebrating. Santa took pictures with the kids (I don't know where - but I saw the photos in the photo gallery).

Also - It is NOT cheaper to cruise at this time of the year (someone posted that earlier). And airfares are more expensive too.

I'd actually like to do the cruise over Christmas, but they cost about 150%-200% more than the week prior. If I'm not celebrating anything, I'll put that money toward the next cruise.

What I especially like about going the week before is sitting on a beautiful island somewhere, looking at the date, and realizing it's the first day of winter!

Makes me smile! :D

I am planning a christmas cruise this year for me and wife and 3 boys 10, 12, 14. this year was a real pain, making sure we were at MIL for christmas eve, my moms for part of christmas day, dinner at our house for 15 family members, a 150 mile dsay trip to our grandparents. and delivering and picking up step sons to their dads, 200 mile run each way, for 2 day visit.

This year, the boys present is the cruise. we will book a cat 12 suite for DW and I, and a inside arcoss the hall for the boys. I have shared the booking number with our mothers and my step-sons father and mother. if they want to spend christmas with us book a room. my older (21) daughter and her boy friend have also booked a room.

I like the idea of a rum drink on the lido deck for christmas!!!!!!!!!!

Archived