I apologize for not posting LIVE from the Jewel this cruise

It was tough having only one sea day.

But there is something nice about the night before a sea day. It's just SO much more relaxed, because you know that you have nowhere to go and nothing to do the next day.

We slept in, and even though we got up late, as I mentioned on page 2, Martin waited and made up our room during what *should* have been his time off.

I went up and entered the slots tournament, and let Barb go get coffee and breakfast. I am SO not a morning person. (duh!) We agree to meet up in the Coral Theatre for the Captain's Corner at 12:15.

My round wasn't until the fifth, so I was getting antsy about the time. I did very well (it takes HUGE talent to pound away on a button), but didn't quite qualify to move on to the next round.

Off I went to sit in the front row and ogle, I mean listen to, the Captain and his officers.

They have made a video all about the Jewel itself and how the officers run it, mechanically and passenger-wise, and it was very informative. Then the Captain speaks, the Staff Captain speaks, the hotel director speaks and the Chief Engineer speaks. Then they took questions.

Captain Thore is easy on the eyes. He has, however, recently remarried. :(

The assistant CDs were roaming around with microphones, taking questions. When I raised my hand, the Captain stopped them, and handed me his own mike to ask my question. :D

I asked him whether he thought that RC would ever build the Radiance class ships that had been designed but not built before they got all caught up in building bigger, bigger and bigger ships, since not everyone thinks that a bigger ship is always better.

He said that he didn't think that they ever would. :(

He confirmed that Captain Hernan Zini will take the Independence out.

He said that he had no idea who would take out the first Genesis ship. Someone else told me that he told THEM on another day that HE was going to take it out!

At two, I had my appoint with Inga, the LA. She BEGGED me to put on my comment card that the functions of LA and Future Cruise Consultant should be separated into two jobs; she said that she did nothing but book cruises all the time, and had no time to be the Loyalty Ambassador that repeat cruisers expected.

I let Barbara go first, and it took her a LONG time to figure out which cruise and cabin to book. Fortunately, the person who had the next appointment walked over, identified herself, and said that she wanted to book a NextCruise. Inga told her that she could just fill out a form and leave it. That freed up HER half hour for ME. :D

I knew exactly what I wanted. The one thing that IS free on the RC computers onboard is their own website. The connection was painfully slow, but over about TWO HOURS (yes, I said two hours) the night before, I had managed to get all the info I needed. I booked three cruises (hee hee hee). Inga managed to get most of it right. When I got home, I realized that she had only deposited two of the three. :rolleyes: I double-checked my credit card online in a couple of days, and confirmed this. I called RC this afternoon: my call was answered IMMEDIATELY, and the service was so good that I felt like I was back on board! She even answered my final "thank you" with "Pleasure, ma'am". :D

We had a late lunch in the Seaview Café, and ran into friends. That made me not very hungry at dinner time, which was good, because I KNEW that the menu was going to stink. I just ate the "table" Caesar Salad and a cup of berry soup. (yum yum yum)

Up to the Hollywood Odyssey for a final drink. Drinks. DRINKS. Andrea was there, Becky was there, Bobby was there. Good times.

The show was the Farewell Show. There was a decent juggler who was funny enough without making me guffaw in an embarrassing fashion. The singers sang the usual RC song, and the dancers danced and the crew paraded and the officers waved, etc., etc., etc. Even Barbara got a little misty-eyed.

Well, we had to pack. (I HATE that).

I would have answered Egypt too!! What the heck is papyrus, then???

I will be on the Jewel next week - thanks for your review.

So excited!

Well, now you know. They probably ask all the same questions. :D

China, Superman, Cruise Compass, Norway, remember those. ;)

I would have answered Egypt too!! What the heck is papyrus, then???

I will be on the Jewel next week - thanks for your review.

So excited!

Papyrus was parchment or vellum and China is credited with the first paper. I looked it up because like Carol and you I thought Egypt too!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper#Papyrus_and_parchment

I hate this last day. It is SO depressing, so matter how you look at it.

We went to the dining room. We were seated at 8. We got coffee and tea at 8:15. At 8:28, when we hadn't been served our ordered food, and they announced Lavender tags, we left. The HW came over, too late, to see what the problem was. Damn last day attitudes. :(

Getting OFF the ship and through customs/immigration was a breeze. The bags are packed together a little too tightly to make it EASY to get them, but we managed. The line moved quickly, and the agents didn't seem interested in any of us, other than commenting that NO ONE seemed to bringing anything back!

We were immediately directed to a shuttle to FLL at our request, and it took off within a few minutes, after the driver had filled it with passengers.

The trip to FLL from Port Everglades is insanely short. It's such a compact city. (town?) FLL was, as usual, a madhouse. Of course, as far as I am concerned, FLL makes its own problems.

I was not allowed to check my bags until THREE hours before my flight. I, like most cruise passengers, have nothing to do but leave the ship and go to the airport. We don't book early flights, because there is always the chance of a delay in the disembarkation process (like the cruise before ours!).

So it's 9 A.M., my flight is 1:50 P.M., and AirTran won't let me check my bags until 10:50. That means that you can't enter the airport proper; you have to wait in this area between the front doors and the security line.

There are hundreds of people in the same situation, and some of them are considerably surlier than others. They stack their bags in front of seats so that no one can use them. :mad: I was able to find a decent seat with an empty floor space next to it, so I could sit and put my bags where they wouldn't annoy anyone. More importantly, since I had so much time, I made an crucial executive decision: I was NOT going to carry my carryon on. ;) I always cram as much as I can into it on my way TO a cruise, "just in case" my main bag goes astray. In reverse, there isn't the same concern.

So I opened both bags, and stuff a lot of the main bag contents into the under-packed carryon bag. It's lucky that I did. When I got to the counter, a couple of hours later :rolleyes: , my big bag weighed EXACTLY FIFTY POUNDS. :eek:

Checking in was a barrel of laughs, too. There is no real line, just bunches of people all jockeying to be next. Fie on that!

By the way, Barbara was on JetBlue. She was able to check in curbside at her terminal, they took her bags, and told her not to worry about any overweight concerns. She then took the airport bus around to my terminal, and waited with me until after I checked my bag.

The security line moved at a decent clip, and I zipped through. (well, I was zipping along until a borderline senile woman sort of walked in front of me right at the metal detector. The TSA agent was very kind and patient, but had a difficult time trying to get the woman to comply with his directions. She finally went over to a chair to take off her shoes (she was trying to do that standing in front of me, while grabbing onto the metal detector!)

There was then the two and a half hour wait at the gate. The flight was full, and late in taking off because, as the captain announced on the PA, "There is a staffing shortage and no one is out there putting your bags on this plane."

Sure enough, we all looked out the window and saw the baggage cars just sitting next to the plane.

We finally took off, arrived in good time, and my dear friend picked me up promptly at Philadelphia International. Her daughter just got her driver's license, and she was driving. I'll tell you........I never would have had the brass to drive to the airport when just learning to drive!!!!!! She did a great job, too. (frankly, I'm STILL not thrilled to drive to and through PHL)

It was a great, wonderful, fabulous cruise. I'll make some more observations in another post.

Papyrus was parchment or vellum and China is credited with the first paper. I looked it up because like Carol and you I thought Egypt too!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper#Papyrus_and_parchment

As I constantly tell my students, WIKIPEDIA IS NOT A SOURCE.

Just because "it's on the internet", that doesn't make it true. :rolleyes:

Those internet sources say that "true" paper was first made in China, but when they define/describe that paper, they are also describing the papyrus "paper" used in the western world.

PSHAW.

As I constantly tell my students, WIKIPEDIA IS NOT A SOURCE.

Just because "it's on the internet", that doesn't make it true. :rolleyes:

Those internet sources say that "true" paper was first made in China, but when they define/describe that paper, they are also describing the papyrus "paper" used in the western world.

PSHAW.

Sorry Carol, didn't realize I was hitting a sore spot:D But I bet that is where the person who made up the cards for the game got the answer. It is the first source listed when you google the question!:p

hey jill!

finally got onto the boards. carol is telling the truth. she showed me such an incredible time, and the jewel was so beautiful, I booked 7 nights on the adventure with my 14 year old son for next feb. (southern caribbean) the consensus was that he'd have a better time on a voyager class.

The best thing about giving birth to an adult is that the 'newborn' can also discuss the process! It took a few days to get used to the ways of the floating world, but the sea was my amniotic fluid...ok, I think I can only take this metaphor so far before I gross everyone (including myself) out.

It was an amazing adventure for me. Can't wait to read more posts1

barb

Just got back on and thanks Jill for the info on CL.

By the way, was that your 5,000th post?? If so, congrats!!

Your Welcome and thanks for noticing!!!

hey jill!

finally got onto the boards. carol is telling the truth. she showed me such an incredible time, and the jewel was so beautiful, I booked 7 nights on the adventure with my 14 year old son for next feb. (southern caribbean) the consensus was that he'd have a better time on a voyager class.

The best thing about giving birth to an adult is that the 'newborn' can also discuss the process! It took a few days to get used to the ways of the floating world, but the sea was my amniotic fluid...ok, I think I can only take this metaphor so far before I gross everyone (including myself) out.

It was an amazing adventure for me. Can't wait to read more posts1

barb

I told you that you would be come addicted (it's a great addiction) hope to see you again on the high seas...Later, Jill:cool:

:eek: WHEN ARE WE GOING TO CRUISE TOGETHER?!?!?!??!?!:D

You wanna go to Alaska next May? That's my next one that I'm booking. I've already had volunteers to take my mom's place if she backs out of May 2008 so you'd have to get in line for that one.

You wanna go to Alaska next May? That's my next one that I'm booking. I've already had volunteers to take my mom's place if she backs out of May 2008 so you'd have to get in line for that one.

Now, Wrona, you know from our talk on THAT OTHER PLACE that I can't go in May - I'm still in school. :(

Now, Wrona, you know from our talk on THAT OTHER PLACE that I can't go in May - I'm still in school. :(

Next May? I thought you wouldn't be in school in May 2009. Maybe I can do something in August 2009.

Cabin 9256 on the Jewel is LOVELY.

The lifejackets, extra pillows and Uncle Jack were on a shelf across the top of the closet. I have no idea how he got there.

There were two ships in port that day, and the Belizean guard at the pier asked us, as we approached, "Jew of the Seas"? and we wondered how he knew? :D

Thanks for the wonderfull review. I really enjoyed reading it.

We will be staying in the same cabin for my "first ever" cruise on March 22. Let me know if you left anything behind so I can bring it back to Philly for you. If we play the game I'll make sure we represent the Philly area and Cabin 9256 now that we have the "correct answers".

It is our 10th anniversary and we are headed to the Eastern Caribbean on the Jewel to celebrate. My In-Laws have done this cruise on the Jewel twice and it is their favorite.

Have fun on your next cruise. I can't wait for ours. I hope "Uncle Jack" decides to visit us as well.

Archived