Barcelona Hotels - Recommendations (merged)

Cruising on Navigator of the Seas BTB - Oct 31 Greece/Turkey, then TA to Ft. Lauderdale. Will arrive early on Oct 29-30 to see Barcelona. Would like good experiences for hotels with good access to La Ramblas and affordable pricing for my wife and I. Any other "don't miss" recommendations appreciated.

We have not yet stayed in Barcelona but we have booked the Hotel Continental Palacette for our October pre-cruise from recommendations.

I do plan on watching a show tonight (Saturday) on the Food Network, Rachael Rays new show, Rachaels Vacation, is from Barcelona. We hope to pick up some tips for sightseeing and restaurants.

Not sure what your idea of affordable pricing is..... hotels are expensive in Europe. But we stayed at Le Meridien right on Las Ramblas. Great location, really nice hotel, one of the best beds I have ever found in a hotel (and I've stayed in lots of 5 stars). We paid @385/night U.S.$ with the lousy euro conversion but if you have Starwood points it is one of their hotels.

We enjoyed walking Las Ramblas alot. Took a taxi over to La Sagrada Familia and enjoyed that too. DH went up in the Columbus statue (said it swayed :eek: ) I don't like small spaces or elevators and that one only holds 3 people at a time. No thanks.

Check out the Apsis Atrium Palace Hotel...........great location, great breakfast, wonderful rooms. Also great price for the location. Don't forget to do the hop/on/hop/off bus, try tapas bars for quick lunches or early dinner.........also great for people watching. Have a great trip.

We used Hotel Continental and it was great. Right on Las Ramblas and very affordable. I think we paid 110 euros and the 24-hr. buffet was very convenient. Do try the Hop-on,Hop-off bus-you can grab one at the top of Las Ramblas at Place Catalunya,only a minute's walk from the hotel.

Don't be put off by the pink decoration in the room-it's very clean and comfy and the lounge is a great place to meet other travellers. Have fun!! Shelly

We'll be in Barcelona in September for three nites before a cruise. In looking at hotel recommendations a positive for Hotel Continental Palacette is that the price includes access to the 24-hr buffet. Not sure if the buffet will be worth the extra cost though. The price for the Hotel Continental (sister hotel) does not include the buffet. :)

We stayed at Hotel Continental 2 nights post-crusie in the beginning of December. A great location, 110 euro for a room with s small balcony overlooking Las Ramblas and a 24 hour buffet. What more could you ask for.

The hotel is clean, there is free internet, and the help at the front desk are friendly and helpful. We stayed at this hotel due to the recommendations on CC and we are glad we did!

Nancy & Harvey

A 24 hour buffet???!!! Who would want to eat at that while you are in Barcelona?? Maybe they heard that americans are only interested in eating. Interesting marketing concept. Can somebody that has taken part in this buffet share what kind of food they had around 2 AM??

Stayed at Hotel Continental last Oct for 2 nites pre-cruise. The rate included the 24 hour buffet. The hotel is in a great location, and the staff were so so helpful. We would definitely stay there again.
I enjoyed my stay there last November. I should mention that it is not like a modern US hotel or motel. It is a little old, a little warn, and a little quirky. This is an attraction to me, but will put off others.

A 24 hour buffet???!!! Who would want to eat at that while you are in Barcelona?? Maybe they heard that americans are only interested in eating. Interesting marketing concept. Can somebody that has taken part in this buffet share what kind of food they had around 2 AM??
It's a breakfast buffet, cereal and hard boiled egg kind of thing. It is nice to get a cup of coffee or tea whenever you want. I think that cans of soda might have been free, too. I did not partake.

We'll be in Barcelona in September for three nites before a cruise. In looking at hotel recommendations a positive for Hotel Continental Palacette is that the price includes access to the 24-hr buffet. Not sure if the buffet will be worth the extra cost though. The price for the Hotel Continental (sister hotel) does not include the buffet. :)
The price of the Hotel Continental's buffet is included on their website: http://www.hotelcontinental.com/home_ramblas.htm . I was able to use the internet in the lobby. They also paid the postage for a Hotel Continental postcard home. The included extras were a refreshing change from the norm.

How did you book the Hotel Continental Palacette (sp). We are looking for a couple rooms in early June, this is our first European vacation and I'm a little nervous.
I used www.venere.com to book their sister hotel, they were a little cheaper than than the hotel's own website. http://www.hotelcontinental.com/

Beware of hotel booking sites that do not allow for cancellations and that do not include the value added tax in the price. The VAT can run to almost 20%.

I used www.venere.com to book their sister hotel, they were a little cheaper than than the hotel's own website. http://www.hotelcontinental.com/

Beware of hotel booking sites that do not allow for cancellations and that do not include the value added tax in the price. The VAT can run to almost 20%.

Thanks, I was a little leary of the venere site as I had never heard of it before.

About eight couples stayed at the Hotel Continental Palacete in October after our cruise and enjoyed their stay. Angie's Taxi met us at the port and it was only 10 minutes away. (However, we carried our luggage off the ship, got off first and there were taxis waiting). Our rooms were not ready so we stored out luggage in a big room that they kept locked. You were welcome to use their safe at the front desk. The hotel staff could not have been any friendlier. The rooms were very clean, a decent size,quite, has a hair dryer, and yes, pink. Some of the rooms have a terrace. You did have to take your luggage up about 10 steps and put it in the elevator to go on up - so beware it is not handicapped accessible. Our rate was 95 euros for a single and 130 for a double booked thru veneer.com. The buffet includes coffee, bottled water, cokes, wine, , orange juice, milk, cereal, toast , fruit, and about another 12 feet of different foods - it was great to sit around the tables and have a coke! I only ate breakfast there but my mother and sister had a lite supper since they were too tired to go to the great tapas bar 2 blocks down that the hotel recommended ( if you go out the front door, turn left and it is 1 block down on the left - superb! - the name is Restaurant Condal (sp ?). Great atmosphere, clean and good food and service. Another block is the Plza Catalunya (Hard Rock Cafe is there) and then Las Ramblas starts. To the left of Las Ramblas going toward the water is the Bari Gothic area. Make sure to take the HOHO buses and if you are staying 2 days get the 2 day pass. We did not encounter any pickpockets, but the next day one of our group had someone try to take his wallet...thank goodness he had put rubber bands around it both ways which caused too much friction and he felt being pickpocketed and stopped them. We truly were amazed at how clean this city was, how wide the streets were and the architecture was amazing. Enjoy!

Another endorsement for the Apsis Atrium Palace. We've stayed there twice, once in April post-transatlantic cruise and in December pre-transatlantic cruise. Good location a few blocks from the Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas and only a few kilometers from Sagrada Familia. Rooms are quite nice and the staff is friendly and very helpful.

Can anyone weigh in on the Grand Marina or the Majestic? I have a hold on a marina suite at the Grand, and a mini-suite at the Majestic, and am trying to decide which to stay in. Both have terraces.

The Grand Marina is half the price of the Majestic, but we are only in the hotel one night pre-cruise, and then another night on the Zuiderdam.

Any advice on past experience with either or both hotels is much appreciated since we have never stayed in Barcelona overnight before.

CruiseMom42, do you remember what the name of the taxi was that picked you up from H10 Raco del Pi?

I will be staying there also and would like to take a taxi to the hotel when we arrive but I seen on another post that some taxis just drop you off and you have to walk with your luggage.

CruiseMom42, do you remember what the name of the taxi was that picked you up from H10 Raco del Pi?

I will be staying there also and would like to take a taxi to the hotel when we arrive but I seen on another post that some taxis just drop you off and you have to walk with your luggage.

I'm so sorry, I do not recall. However, if you call the hotel, they may be able to arrange to have a taxi waiting for you at the airport. I found the front desk staff to be most helpful when I stayed there, including providing extra assistance to me after my wallet was stolen.

Have stayed at the Grand Marina but not the Majestic. Loved the Grand Marina-it is truly "grand", but not in the center of all the action if that is what you prefer. We hopped right off our ship last cruise (Insignia-small ship so yours may dock a little bit further away) and there it is- gleaming modern building. You can walk just a few blocks and there you are at the foot of Las Ramblas.

We've been to Barcelona several times in the last few years and have stayed at a number of places and locations for variety. I like hotels that have that old world flavor rather than a more modern feel. Have stayed most recently at Hotel Jazz, Atrium Palace and Hotel Montecarlo. I have a reservation at Hotel Montecarlo for our upcoming trip as it's been our favorite.

It is a wonderful walking city that's hard to tire of- friendly people and blending of architecture that you'll see no where else. Sagrada Familia-takes you a few hours just to take it all in. On our first trip to Barcelona we took taxi's everywhere, but have subsequently lost our fear. Now we take the bus/train to wherever, even suburbia to watch kids play basketball and shop local markets. Terrific transportation system.

Hard to go wrong with hotel choices-we've never been displeased. Best wishes for a great trip!

(Hi Cat!)

Petoonya,

You said that you have stayed at the Hotel Montecarlo before. Looking at pictures on TripAdvisor I see there are steps at the entrance once you go through the front door. Is this the only way into the hotel. My sister and I have a problem with steps. We can do them, we just want to avoid them where possible.

We are going to be in Barcelona for a few days in November before our cruise and are starting to look at hotels in this area.

Thanks, Cathy

Archived