Family Oceanview?

mlanz

Looking @ October cruise on Mariner and have priced Family Oceanview stateroom....I would like to know your thoughts...our kids are 9,6,&4 so two rooms (unless connecting) are not an option. Plus two connecting balconies (E-class) is pricing out $1000 higher....forget the Royal Family Suite it's $2500 more (although I'm sure it's beautiful)....I've looked at photos online...just wondering what others may have experienced/know.

thx

mark

We stayed in a Family Oceanview (cabin 7200) on the Explorer (Voyager class too) and thought that it was great! There were 4 of us (me, my wife, son, and grandmother). The room was plenty big for us and we never seemed cramped, even with my son's toys on the floor. It was wider than many of the rooms onboard and had a separate area that held bunkbeds (now the area wasn't much bigger than the bunkbeds, but it could be closed off with a curtain). It had a tripple seater couch that made into a bed, and this sitting area could be closed off from the main sleeping area with a heavy curtain. There were two large porthole windows that faced forward and they were great! We had splendid views and since we were a couple of levels below the bridge, had a similar view to the captain. We found the seating area to be comfortable and there was still plenty of room for my son to play. One bad thing was that there wasn't a separate light in the seating area; the lights there were connected to the lights where the bed was. So, one couldn't read while sleeping on the pullout couch without disturbing those wishing to sleep in the bed. There was a separate light in the bunkbed area which didn't disturb everyone else.

We had a good experience with this room and would consider using it again for 4. There aren't many on the ship (I think 8) so if you find one and are considering it, you should probably book it. We booked earlier this month for a 2009 cruise on the Explorer and there weren't any left!

We are a family of 5 cruising on the 10/19/2008 Mariner. We looked into a oceanview family stateroom but decided on 2 connecting oceanview rooms, because it was cheaper and also would give us 2 bathrooms. We're planning on keeping the door open and the kids sleeping in the other room.

We are sailing Mariner in a few weeks with our 3 kids (11,9 and 6). What we are doing for the first time is a balcony and promenade cabin across the hall. The little one will sleep with us and the older two will be across the hall. I also have a baby video monitor so they will be under surveillance whenever they are in the room. If they are nervous, dh and I will just split up between the rooms.

In the past, we have booked two adjoining oceanview rooms which worked great. You get 2 bathrooms, kids watch their own tv and you have your own space. They are set up like two adjoining hotel rooms.

Hope this helps you decide.

Heather

I am trying to convince my dad to take me (14) and my sister (12) on a cruise this Christmas season, but not necessarily a cruise that included Christmas Eve and Day. Just a cruise around that time of year.

Anyways, I am almost done convincing him to book a cruise for the Navigator, which is very similar to the "Mariner", as they are both Voyager G2 ships. How much would the Family Stateroom (interior or ocean view) cost for about 3 kids and 2 adults?

I am trying to convince my dad to take me (14) and my sister (12) on a cruise this Christmas season, but not necessarily a cruise that included Christmas Eve and Day. Just a cruise around that time of year.

Anyways, I am almost done convincing him to book a cruise for the Navigator, which is very similar to the "Mariner", as they are both Voyager G2 ships. How much would the Family Stateroom (interior or ocean view) cost for about 3 kids and 2 adults?

Your best bet would be to go to RC's website and find out if they have any Family Oceanview's (FO's) available for when you want to cruise. They can be quite hard to come by. As with all cabins, the fare is significantly reduced for 3rd, 4th, 5th passengers (if the room will accomodate that many). At the time of our sailing, the FO was slightly more (maybe $50 pp) than other Oceanviews but 3rd and 4th passengers were about $400 pp. It was significantly cheeper to book the FO than even 2 insides. This may not be the case with all, but it was the case when we sailed.

MLANZ:

We have rooms 9218 and 9220 which are connecting on the Mariner (a Voyager class ship). The great part is that one is a balcony room and one is a "view" room. In our cruise, it was a little less than connecting E1's.

Another option is the Grand Suite which fits 5 people. They bring in a rollaway for the 3rd child, while 2 share the sleeper sofa. It has more sq. feet than a regular room and even more room than a Jr. Suite. In the GS you pay 3rd person fare for the 3, 4 and 5 persons. That can make is more affordable than two rooms. It all depends on the particular sailing.

Those Family Oceanview with extra bunk area are nice, but you do lose the balcony, if that matters to your family.

Normally you have to call rccl to see if these rooms are available, rarely will they show up on the website. The only time they will is if they are having trouble selling them for a particular cruise. This room is a different price depending on the sailing date.

Archived