SJU Airport?

mlanz

Getting through customs and to the airport doesn't take that long, but the airport itself is a disaster! We actually stayed a few days extra and arrived at the airport on a Thursday morning and it took over two hours to get through the check in and security. I would imagine that on a Sunday morning with the cruise ships disembarking it would be even worse. I wouldn't risk it.

I would not be very optimistic on making an 8:30 flight. We just disembarked the Serenade this past Saturday (01-26-08). They started disembarkation at 8:15 a.m., although you might be able to get off earlier, but probably not prior to 8:00 am. It went very smoothly, but still took a total of 20 minutes to get off the ship, clear immigration, retrieve the luggage and clear customs. Then add in time for a 15 minute ride to the airport, check bags and proceed to gate. The security line at the airport took about 18 minutes to go through screening. It will be much busier on a Sunday too. We were there on a Saturday.

Eric

thx....it made me a little nervous as well...using miles so it's either 8:30 a.m. and get home at decent hour or 6 pm and get home in wee hours of morning....looks like it'll be coffee for dad on plane ride home....

Seriously, take the later flight and use Valet service for your luggage. Have a nice relaxing day in OSJ and take your time getting to the airport.

I am doing the same thing in May on AOS. It is better to get home late rather than missing your flight.

Have a wonderful cruise!

thx....it made me a little nervous as well...using miles so it's either 8:30 a.m. and get home at decent hour or 6 pm and get home in wee hours of morning....looks like it'll be coffee for dad on plane ride home....

I know that flights from SJU can be tricky. I don't know if your travel plans allow, but have you looked into extending your trip? We did this last time we went (stayed 1 extra day) and save $200. We're staying 2 extra in April and saved $ and got better return flight times. - Flying out at 9 am and arriving in Kansas City a little after 4 pm (all times local).

How long does it take to clear customs and get to airport in san juan.....looking @ 8:30 a.m. flight and am not very optimistic....

mlanz

We cruised from there in November and got held up on disembarking when the customs computers went down.

That is way too early. You could possibly make it, but what if you don't?

What do you do then?

You have to expect the unexpected to happen.

We are staying an extra day and leaving on Monday @ 8:30a. This will save us over $800 for a family of 4. Also now we don't have to rush to get off the ship and allow us an extra day to enjoy SJ. Using PC points, so the hotel won't even cost us anything

On our last cruise our of SJ, we did a shore excursion on the way back to the airport. It took us on a city tour and to Bacardi, but the best part was it held our luggage for us while we toured and dropped it right off to the bag carriers at the airport. Very easy.

8:30 am on ANY cruise would be near impossible.....in San Juan would be absolutely CRAZY to even try it! Given that you are supposed to be at the airport 1-2 hrs ahead of the flight time, and getting off the ship can be delayed for a variety of reasons, it would not work.

Boy, if there is any way at all to do a later flight I would do it. We were one of the earliest off the ship because we did a post-cruise excursion of San Juan. That was wonderful! They took our luggage to the airport and we enjoyed a nice tour of the city.

I wouldn't count on being able to make a flight before noon just because of the logistics involved. We didn't have problems at the airport, but after all, it is still an airport with all the security and lines you would normally expect.

Archived