To lock the bags or not flying from Canada to Ft. Lauderdale ??

thesawch

I am still not sure if we should lock our luggage when flying out of Canada to Ft laudedale.I read someone said no and some say yes using TSA locks so if they need to open them they can.What is a TSA lock and what should i do??Lock or leave unlocked.Thanks thesawch

Definitely lock them. A TSA lock is a lock that is approved by the Transportation Safety Administration and has a little TSA symbol on it. If an inspector needs to get in your bag, they have a master key to open it. The locks can be found at Target, Walmart, Radio Shack and many other places.

Hey - I see you are from the prairies. Hope you are staying warm in this minus 30 windchill minus 45 stuff. At least you have warmer things to think about with the cruise still coming up. When are you sailing and on what ship?

We flew from Edmonton to Ft Lauderdale for the Christmas sailing of Freedom. Flew through Salt Lake. My main suitcase was gone through by the security services - they left me a note saying they had checked it all out. I thought they might, since I had a small Christmas tree, powerbar, and a litre of tonic that we take.

I never lock suitcases - never put anything valuable in them. But if you do want to lock up, definitely would need the locks they can open. I don't know if you can by them in Canada - but I assume we can find them somewhere.

Stay safe out there.

I travel all the time in and out of the country.... I have found it way easier not to lock my bags. Anything of value I carry on in my carry on bag. I have found anytime i used a tsa lock they would go threw my bag...

I can't imagine giving anyone "carte blanche" to get into my luggage, whether there's anything valuable in there or not! LOCK THE BAGS!!! You don't have to use TSA locks--they LIKE you to, but you do NOT have to! If they need to get into your bag, they will. But, if they are securely locked and there's no reason for them to get into your stuff, they're way too busy to try and "break" in.

We fly frequently, and lock our bags with real keyed locks---never had them opened.

Don't make it easy for them--and there are thieves among them!!!! Keep you things locked on the plane and at the pier!

I am still not sure if we should lock our luggage when flying out of Canada to Ft laudedale.I read someone said no and some say yes using TSA locks so if they need to open them they can.What is a TSA lock and what should i do??Lock or leave unlocked.Thanks thesawch

We have travelled many times, and I would suggest getting some plasting "pipe" ties. They are easy to attach to the suitcase and will prevent the "honest" crook from getting in. If they must be inspected there is no lock to break. We have left a note with another plastic tie inside asking them to replace when done... Try buying a colored one instead of the white ones.

Tibear

I know your dilemma. But if you have a flight to the U.S. from your departure city, you might go through U.S. immigration and customs at the Canadian airport.

On a trip out of Montreal a couple of years ago, they selected people at random and hand searched the luggage in front of you, so you can unlock and relock the case before setting it on the conveyor belt. However, on the return trip from the U.S., I worried about the locks being cut off if they wish to search, so I bought TSA locks at the airport in the U.S. I don't think you can buy them in Canada. Using the TSA locks gives me a little peace of mind.

Suzanne

I travel extensively both in and outside the United States. I have found that cable ties also known as zip ties work very well. If they need to search your bag then TSA will cut it off and replace with a white cable tie. I have found NEON cable ties at KMart. I can see at once if the bag has been opened by either the missing or white cable tie. It is useful to be able to see if the bag has been opened so you can check BEFORE you leave the airport. Just be sure you have something in your purse or carryon to dut them off with. I use a nail clipper WITHOUT a file.

If you have trouble finding the TSA locks locally in Canada, they have them at target.com for $7-$8 u.s.. I would recommend you lock your luggage. I have had something stolen enroute to a cruise before.

We gave up locking our bags years ago and just put our valuables in our carry-on. If you do lock your suitcases it is best to stick with TSA approved locks. Are you flying direct to Ft. Lauderdale? If not, all the more reason to make sure US authorities can get in your suitcases if they so wish otherwise your bags could be set aside and delayed. :eek:

Kathy

we use cable ties for the flight and locks getting on/off the ship (we always spend at least one day before and after in the port city).

you can get them at home depot (or probably that canada tire place) as well as other places for 3-5 bucks for 100 in pretty colors.

the TSA locks have a little red thing on them but the TSA in the US WILL cut them off if they are too busy or too lazy to get the master key! (i've witnessed this happening!)

most US airports now have the bag inspection in a secure area away from the ticket counters (some still have it there though) however, the TSA people will take your bags and tell you 'thanks'. they really don't like people hovering!

i carry a nail clipper in my carry on to open them...but once i forgot, went to the desk and borrowed scissors...the desk clerk was amused!

BTW, if the bag is opened, the TSA is NOT required to reclose it....some will do so with cable ties, but it is NOT required...(and i asked a TSA trainer!)

I work at an airport and if you all could see the area below the belts that all of the suitcases travel on you would be so shocked. There are many locks, wheels, straps, zipper pulls by the hundreds. Those belts are not nice when there is a jam and there are arms that will squash a bag if the sensors are off. Bag jams do the most damage and the spaces in between the conveyor belts are what yanks at the locks, straps etc. For some reason the combination tsa locks are the worst, go with a small tsa lock, they seem to hold up the best. Hope that helps, I know our TSA people really try to do their best. They page people before they even cut a lock that isn't a tsa one and if they have to cut it they zip tie the bag. You have people making min wage loading and unloading planes that also have their hands on your luggage. The TSA people an my airport are very trustworthy and they have cameras on them, not worth their job to steal. I personally use zip ties.

I have a bag that came with a TSA lock and usually use it. But... on a trip to Tucson from Chicago I had my bag locked and the TSA opened it at some point and did not re-lock the lock. So much for the security of a lock.

Long before today's security measures my husband took a hunting trip out west. He had a doubled locked metal gun case for his rifles. Getting to Montana, no problem. Coming back!!:eek: They got routed thru Atlanta because of a flight change. When we picked up the case both locks were knocked off and the keyed locks had been broken open. What stopped them? 2 EXTRA LONG stainless steel zip ties. My husband had to pack metal cutters in his luggage in order cut them off. No way you could use them today. We later found out Atlanta is the worst for having your luggage broken into/lost.

We were supposed to take a hunting trip to South Africa in 2003 and could either go thru New York or Atlanta. Flight was going to be by way of New York even though it was going to cost us more. A few months before the trip my husband was killed in a accident and I canceled my trip but my in-laws and son still went. They changed the reservation to Atlanta to save a few hundred $$. Father-in law's gun case never made it South Africa. He did get the case back a few weeks after they returned, minus the rifles.

If I have checked luggage I will not fly to/thru Atlanta.

I have promised myself I will still take that South Africa trip along with all the other trips we were going to do!

Okay this has gotten way off topic.

Being from Canada I couldn't find TSA locks anywhere. I finally got some on out last trip to the US but what we used to do is put garbage ties through the zipper pulls... it stops your zipper from sliding open and if you twist it around enough it would be a bit of a pain to try and get off in a hurry. Once we get our bags back we put locks on them at the pier.

We always lock our bag and use a TSA lock, can be found at the Bay or any luggage store in Vancouver. Not expensive if I remember, about $7 CAD.

We carry the plastic ties as well in case they are needed.

Anything that might look suspicious on an X-Ray I put in carry on to avoid them opening the bag. No one has opened our bag yet.

I travel a lot for work. I started locking my bags with TSA locks after I retrieved my suitcase off of the conveyor belt easily identified by a green patterned shirt sticking out of the top. The zippers had slipped open and clothing was falling out. :eek:

For those of you not in the US, here is a picture of a TSA lock.

416BVD3EYPL._SS260_.jpg

For my last 2 cruises from Ottawa to Ft. Lauderdale I have locked my bag with a TSA lock. Both times, on the return home, my bag had the TSA inspected sticker on my baggage tag and a letter inside. Both times the bag was relocked and both times nothing was amiss. In fact, the first time I had packed rather quickly so the clothes were just sort of thrown in -- when I opened my bag at home I found it all neatly packed!:D . I don't have valuables in the checked bag - and nothing out of the ordinary in them. (I bought the small TSA locks at one of our local Wal-Marts.)

Have a great cruise and hope your minus freakin' cold passes soon (but don't send it my way!:)

This is my first time flying with checked baggage since the new security regulations....am I understanding this correctly? If I use a zip lock on my checked baggage and the TSA cuts it off to inspect my bag, they are required to replace the zip lock?

I never locked my bags until I started traveling overseas for business. There might not be anything valuable in my bag but only I know that. My biggest fear overseas was having someone grab my bag off the conveyer and stealing it. Atleast if there is a lock on it they are less likely to steal it.

You can purchase a set of 2 locks from this website for $15.00. I believe they ship to Canada. http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/product_display.jsp?searchParam=LV&pdId=9422&addOn=883&sid=eas

I can't imagine giving anyone "carte blanche" to get into my luggage, whether there's anything valuable in there or not! LOCK THE BAGS!!! You don't have to use TSA locks--they LIKE you to, but you do NOT have to! If they need to get into your bag, they will. But, if they are securely locked and there's no reason for them to get into your stuff, they're way too busy to try and "break" in.

We fly frequently, and lock our bags with real keyed locks---never had them opened.

Don't make it easy for them--and there are thieves among them!!!! Keep you things locked on the plane and at the pier!

Don't kid yourself, if some wants something in your bag they can get in. There have been cases all overe the place with bagged personnel caught with keys to open bags. Best case is care any valuables with you. If you feel better locking then lock.

My experience with TSA locks is that they are cut off when flying between Canada and the U.S. If you do decide you want to try them, TSA locks are available at luggage stores in Canada--I purchased a few before I realized it was a losing battle. Good luck!

We always use the TSA locks on our luggage, we bought them at one of those little purse/luggage stores (Bently) at our local mall. I've also seen them at Sears and Zellers.

I have never had them cut off on any of our flights, and we have used them for at least a dozen stops through the USA and Mexico in the last year.

I believe if someone was going to steal they would be more likely to hit the luggage without locks, than bothering with the ones that are locked, but of course those locks are not perfect, and if someone really wanted in they would get in.

My vote is to get the locks :)

Archived