To lock the bags or not flying from Canada to Ft. Lauderdale ??

thesawch

I was going to post saying don't lock...but I like the plastic tie idea. Cheap and easy. Your biggest theft worry is the TSA themselves...there are lots of reports about thefts from TSA locked bags, and unlocked bags...and broken locks on bags.

So don't pack up any valuables, and itemize whatever you take.

I say lock them, we use the TSA locks and was told by a friend who knows what can happen, he said that when the bags are "behind the scenes" the ones that have locks or even those plastic ties are not the bags that typically get messed with. If someone is wanting in your bag yes, they can open it with the TSA key, but if someone is looking to steal they want in and out as quick as possible. They target the unlocked luggage. Even though I keep valuables in my carry on, I still use the TSA locks.

:)

On our recent cruise on AOS we arrived in San Juan a day early. The next day we put our locks on and headed for the pier. Later when we got our luggage and went to unpack, I could not find the keys. We lost them between the hotel and the pier. I went to the desk and they had to call a maintenance man to come and break them open. I think I will go with the zip ties from now on. It was a funny start to our cruise. Nancy

I did not lock my luggage the last night onboard the cruise, then did not open luggage until two days later when I got home (wasn't going directly home). WHAT A MISTAKE!!!

Nothing of great value was taken (as I put money and good jewelry in my carry-on bag), but I found out that a lingerie bag (with some new items) was missing, along with a bag of costume jewelry and an expensive shirt.

Moral of the story: use zip-ties oe TSA-approved locks, whether going through an airport OR leaving your luggage for pick up the last night.

It was a costly mistake, or lack of experience, or just not believing anyone would go through luggage and help themselves. Not so much the $$$ but I feel violated.

Remember to LOCK YOUR LUGGAGE AT ALL TIMES WHEN TRAVELING...if for nothing else, peace of mind. :)

At my small local airport, every bag is opened by the TSA before it goes on the plane, so I don't lock my luggage when flying. I could see using the cable ties that are easily replaced if cut off to dissuade the thief in a hurry! However, I did lock my suitcase before giving it to the porter when boarding my cruise ship last week and again when putting the suitcase out the night before the cruise ended. I don't put anything of value (other than clothes and oversized toiletries) in checked bags. My sister and a friend once put their CAMERAS in their checked bags. :eek: Both were lucky to still have the cameras there when they got home, but I sure wouldn't do that.

Archived