Lawrence of Antigua and Long Bay Beach

csaeroach

Can you be fair and impartial?

Can you post what you paid,can you ask other drivers at the pier what they are charging.(for a group of 10 people)

Also ask what they would charge to follow him the whole way.

Can you note what places you are going to and whether there are others going to that spot as well.

Why do I ask this, because as a host you come off more credible and the truth IMHO is he is charging twice as much for the same tour as everyone else and is cramming them in like sardines.

I would like to know what he does that is worth twice the cost?

He has stuck several CCers over the last year and I have not seen or heard of anything of any substance that warrants the cost difference.

Thank you in advance.

Because we did not ask anyone else for a tour quote (we booked 4 months ago) I can't tell you what they would charge for comparable tour but cab fares to Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights etc. are not inexpensive (they are posted but I can't remember them,.. Because your post was after we left for the cruise, I can't answer all your questions.. Cab to dockyard was I "think" $11pp each way to dockyard maybe?) Didn't pay a lot of attention to these posted fares at the dock bec. we already had a tour arranged!

This tour went to all the highlights (ex. Devils Bridge which we were not interested in but could probably be added if requested), narration was good and for $35 (no one wanted beach add on of $10) I don't see why a large group of 10 would want to separate into cabs etc. to save a few bucks .. but that's just me and the folks we cruise with! We will probably go back to Nelson's Dockyard next time bec. DH is a huge sailing fanatic and the place is interesting so we would have liked more time.. lots of neat old buildings, history, cafes, etc.

He told us all about the island (which IMHO is lovely for the most part compared to many), we had plenty of time to take pics etc. and had the afternoon free for shopping, beers at Cheers etc. (or beach if we had desired). Views from Bluffs etc where we stopped were stunning etc. I try to be impartial always and to be honest with you am not usually a fan of "island tours" so the fact that we loved this one.... Oh, and the bathrooms on this island are so clean!! We did the famous "Godfrey tour" in St Thomas 3 years ago and I thought that was a rip off so what's one man's passion is another's poison so to speak!

He met us on time, is a nice gentleman (maybe late 40s/50), kinda low key but that was fine w/ us.. we didn't want a party tour... we did that at Cheers when we got back:D

..and try a "Wahdadli"... ;)

and buy your liquor there.. it was cheaper than the ship (Sheridan's esp.) and St Thomas and we loved the Antiguan Cavalier rum

!

This tour went to all the highlights (ex. Devils Bridge which we were not interested in but could probably be added if requested), narration was good and for $35 (no one wanted beach add on of $10) I don't see why a large group of 10 would want to separate into cabs etc. to save a few bucks .. but that's just me and the folks we cruise with! We will probably go back to Nelson's Dockyard next time bec. DH is a huge sailing fanatic and the place is interesting so we would have liked more time.. lots of neat old buildings, history, cafes, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Did he charge you more money for the park entry or did the $35 include it?.

I know that the other drivers charge $20 for the tour,but they also make you pay the $5 park fee for a total of $25.

• 2 weeks later...

Any recent reviews of him and his tours? We were thinking of booking with him, we want to see the devil's bridge (we didn't see this on our last stop to Antigua) and we then wanted to go to the beach and he suggested Long Bay Beach because we want to snorkel. Anyone know anything about either of these? Thanks for your help!

A couple years ago I took Lawrence's tour. I asked Lawence when making my reservations to go to Devils' Bridge and Long Bay Beach. He assured me he would take me there, and in fact when I double checked this in a second confirmation email he acted insulted that I would have to double check and said "if I say I'll take you somewhere I will take you there." Well, on the day of the tour I was in the van with one of his other drivers and when it came time to go to the beach I reminded him that we were to go to Long Bay Beach and Devil's Bridge. He wouldn't take us there and he insisted on taking us to Turner Beach. I was pissed off at the time, although I didn't want to make a scene. We still had a good time on his tour, but I would say that unless you have a very large group, he still might not take you to Long Bay Beach even if he promises you he will in his emails.

We booked a mini tour with Lawrence mid January this year. We were scheduled to go to Devil's Bridge and Betty's Hope which is just a windmill, with a final stop at Long Bay. Devil's bridge was nothing great and we never got to Betty's Hope as they opened at 10 and we passed it before then. We also did not like Long Bay as it was too windy the day we were there so he dropped us off at another beach close to the cruise terminal, it may have been Dickinson's (not sure) but we loved the beach, it had a nice resort attached to it but they had security surrounding the resort so we only walked past it. If anyone knows the name of this beach could you please post your findings. It was around 7-8 min. drive from the pier and we would like to return next year on our cruise. Lawrence was quite accomodating and picked us up from the beach at the scheduled time and drove us back to the ship.

Thanks for the input that's good to know in making our decisions. We saw everything else last year and would just like to see Devil's bridge.

, but I would say that unless you have a very large group, he still might not take you to Long Bay Beach even if he promises you he will in his emails.

At least he showed up, he stuck a few CCers a little over a year ago and did not show up at all.Its on this port of call board a few pages back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All - I just made our reservation with Lawrence of Antigua for March 18. This is going to be a very nice tour it seems from the description below and reasonable in price.

We will be visiting historical sites English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, in fact the entire national park. We will be driving through the Rain Forest after the national park, then the coastline on the south western side of the island. Complimentary drinks will be served during island tour and shopping at the various stops and back at the pier for duty free shopping.

I am waiting for the details, time, return, etc.

Hi All - I just made our reservation with Lawrence of Antigua for March 18. This is going to be a very nice tour it seems from the description below and reasonable in price.

We will be visiting historical sites English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, in fact the entire national park. We will be driving through the Rain Forest after the national park, then the coastline on the south western side of the island. Complimentary drinks will be served during island tour and shopping at the various stops and back at the pier for duty free shopping.

I am waiting for the details, time, return, etc.

If available have Lawrence get you a pineapple to taste. They might be too early in the season but he should be able to show you what they look like. Tell him Grumpy told you about them.:)

Any recent reviews of him and his tours? We were thinking of booking with him, we want to see the devil's bridge (we didn't see this on our last stop to Antigua) and we then wanted to go to the beach and he suggested Long Bay Beach because we want to snorkel. Anyone know anything about either of these? Thanks for your help!

I have done both and found that Long bay had better snorkeling. But Turners has a nicer beach. It's easier for Lawrence to take you to Turner than Long. It kind of depends on how much of Antigua you want to see.

I used Lawrence Feb 2007..and he was waiting for me exactly where he said he would..there was one other couple with us, so we had more than enough room and his van was nice. He has a dry sense of humor so he might come off a little to rude to some,but he was more than generous with us. The other couple wanted to see a blow hole area(forgot the name of it),so he asked me if I would mind going there, since our excursion would take longer..I had time so we said sure..and I am so glad we did..that was one of the highlights of our trip!! We got some awesome pictures and I could have spent all day there. I think its probably hard to please everyone and everyone looks at things differently..but we loved our day with him! Dot

Just don't know how this Roach guy get out of bed in the morning. Beings I know first hand how it all went down This guy should be writing fairy tales.

He gets the whole tour for FREE and then slams this poor guy trying to make it right in a very expensive Island. Imagine paying $7 for a tube of toothpaste.

At Nelson's Dock yard they are very strict on what taxi is aloud in the complex. So there is know way the said taxi was in that shape.

Yes he did have to sit in the jump seat. But he could of said something. Beside the jump seat give you a nice view. He didn't order a stretch Limo to pick him up.

Oh well you can't please every one.

This post should be removed. I don't believe it with about forty of our best cruising friends having great experiences with Lawrence of Antiqua. We'd go with Lawrence of Antiqua again even though there's plenty of good tours out there, at least we know we can count on him.

Sorry you feel that way but many have had good experiences with Lawrence so are we supposed to lie about that.???:confused: :eek: Not saying that none of the people who have had less than stellar experiences are right, just that those who have had a good experience are not necessarily wrong...

I've been "working" here at CC for 10 years and truly every tour op eventually gets a negative review.. no one is perfect...

• 3 weeks later...

We used Lawrence of Antiqua the first week of March (Carnival Liberty)and had a wonderful day! He answered all of my e-mails promptly and would often follow-up with suggestions for the day. He charged us $45.00 per person which included all entrance frees and samples of local fruit. We told him that we wanted a tour of island and some beach time.

He was very prompt in meeting us at the pier. His van looked brand new but he told us that it was two years old. He also provided us with soft drinks and water. He showed us many beautiful sites on the island. He then took us to Turners Beach. I had several people in my group who did not want to stay at the beach. He took this group back to the ship and returned promptly to pick-up the group from the beach. We all felt that it was money well spent. I would recommend Lawrence to anyone.

We used Lawrence of Antiqua the first week of March (Carnival Liberty)and had a wonderful day! He answered all of my e-mails promptly and would often follow-up with suggestions for the day. He charged us $45.00 per person which included all entrance frees and samples of local fruit. We told him that we wanted a tour of island and some beach time.

He was very prompt in meeting us at the pier. His van looked brand new but he told us that it was two years old. He also provided us with soft drinks and water. He showed us many beautiful sites on the island. He then took us to Turners Beach. I had several people in my group who did not want to stay at the beach. He took this group back to the ship and returned promptly to pick-up the group from the beach. We all felt that it was money well spent. I would recommend Lawrence to anyone.

Glad you had a good time. I still would not pay 100% more than everyone else at the pier is charging.$20 is the going rate.

Steve

Just wanted to let everyone know that I took a wonderful tour with Lawrence of Antigua, last Tuesday, March 18. He is having a problem with some negative things being posted about him here on the Cruise Critic boards from another person named Lawrence who is also giving tours of Antigua and trying to undermine the REAL Lawrence of Antigua's business.

Lawrence was there personally waitinf with our names displayed on a poster wearing his very recognizeable plaid vest. He then went and got his big, super comfortable air-conditioned bus for our CC group's pre-arranged tour. Unfortuneately, we had several no-shows which was a shame. One of the parties also was a no-show for earlier CC group's organized tour in Samana. The Samana no-show left the rest of us having to pay more :eek: to make up the full price, but Lawrence just did not get paid for the missing folks. :( It really is a shame that people do not have the simple COUTESY to drop an email to a tour operator or organizer if they can not make it! (End of Vent).

Lawrence gave us a very complete and informative three hour tour of his island. He took us to all the places mentioned on his web site: http://www.antiguanice.com/lawrence_of_antigua/index.html

There was also a choice of drinks (local beer, rum punch, plain punch or bottles water) during our tour plus he also stopped to get us samples of fresh pineapple. He wore a hesdset microphone and was easy to hear and understand theoughout his informative tour. He has a delightful, subtle sense of humor that I thoroughly enjpoyed as well. Lawrence evidences his personal knowlege and pride in HIS and I cannot imagine antone being disappointed with his wonderful tour. Compared to the tours offered by the cruise lines, Lawrence of Antigua's $35 for a three hour tour is a real argain. You will not regret contacting hime and scheduling a tour with this fine gentleman!

Just don't know how this Roach guy get out of bed in the morning. Beings I know first hand how it all went down This guy should be writing fairy tales.

He gets the whole tour for FREE and then slams this poor guy trying to make it right in a very expensive Island. Imagine paying $7 for a tube of toothpaste.

At Nelson's Dock yard they are very strict on what taxi is aloud in the complex. So there is know way the said taxi was in that shape.

Yes he did have to sit in the jump seat. But he could of said something. Beside the jump seat give you a nice view. He didn't order a stretch Limo to pick him up.

Oh well you can't please every one.

First of all, this "roach" guy is a woman. *I* was the organizer of this particular tour for 46 people. Yes, Lawrence was prompt in replying to my emails and he was waiting for us at the dock.

However I fully back up Shelly (csaeroach) as to the conditions of the tour. Lawrence may be a very good tour guide for a small group, but he could NOT handle the large group we had chartered and that he ASSURED me he could handle.

People WERE packed into the vans like sardines. The jump seats were extremely small, and I defy anyone to sit in it for 3+ hours comfortably.

Lawrence said he would waive the park fee for all participants on this tour because there were so many of us. Then he went and made the ones who complained pay that fee.

The original poster did NOT get the tour "for free" but was in fact charged $5 MORE than everyone else. You say you know "first hand how it all went down" but unless you changed your screenname, you were not on this tour with us.

This post should be removed. I don't believe it with about forty of our best cruising friends having great experiences with Lawrence of Antiqua. We'd go with Lawrence of Antiqua again even though there's plenty of good tours out there, at least we know we can count on him.

While your experiences with Lawrence may have been different, this post IS VALID, because it is exactly what the OP experienced. Others should be aware that Lawrence, while he may SAY that he can handle large groups, is not actually capable of doing so.

And isn't that what this message board is for? Exchanging information?

I can't believe the negatives I am reading! The only REAL Lawrence of Antigua wears a plaid vest and was AWESOME!!!! http://www.antiguanice.com/lawrence_of_antigua/index.html

He personally responded to every email I sent him and he has even written me an email hoping I had a safe journey back home! I heartuily recommend Lawrence of Antigua!

Lawrence of Antiguq did a great job with us on several occasions and has treated our friends very well. He was very professional and did an outstanding job. He did answer all emails and was there right on time, exactly where he told us he would meet us. His tour was thorough and yet flexible for us to do the things we wanted to do with plenty of time to spare. He also seemed to know how to keep us either ahead of or behind the mob crowded buses from the cruise ships. He probably is booked well in advance doing the quality tour like the ones we experienced.

Archived