Just Back from Buenos Aires - Any Questions?

ReadyToFloat

I unfortunately wasn't there for a cruise, but just spent over two weeks in Buenos Aires. It is a fabulous city - rich in history, culture and architecture. There is a lot to do and to see.

If you have any questions about the area, I'll be happy to try and help.

In advance, if I were there for a day, I would:

-Take a guided walking tour (~2.5 hours)

-Visit Cafe Tortoni (a 150 year old cafe) for a cup of slow coffee

-Visit a Parrilla for some of the best beef in the world (Bife de Chorizo, Lomo, and Oho were my favorite cuts)

-Visit Florida Street for a pedestrian shopping experience, starting at Avenida de Mayo and ending at Plaza San Martin for a rest and photos

-Find Dulce de Leche with chocolate at a shop and taste a great treat

-Consider a Tango Show (free on Sundays on the streets of San Telmo, least expensive at Cafe Tortoni, or one of the more tourist productions - depending on your style)

-Consider a visit to Recoleta (amazing cemetary) or La Boca (brightly colored homes/streets)

I wouldn't worry too much about transportation - taxis are everywhere, and our fares ranged from $6-30 pesos ($1USD = ~$3 pesos), so you can essentially divide everything by 3 for the conversion to USD. So, our most expensive taxi was $10. Get ready for a Formula 1 taxi/race car experience, and when your driver weaves in and out of the lanes, realize the stripes on the roadway are mostly viewed as 'suggestions.' Your heart might skip a few beats, though drivers have a sixth sense to avoid collisions.

Subway was good - just 1 peso, though it can get crowded and quite warm. I was on the subway dozens of times and never had a challenge.

Airport was quick and efficient - customs experience was good, though note that on the way out you'll most likely have to pay an airport tax ($18USD/54pesos) that isn't included in tickets (apparently it's a private airport and that affects prepayment in airline tickets). So, after check in you'll be directed to an area to pay the tax (many credit cards accepted), which is quick and efficient. If you arrive early at the gate, many flights to the US have a secondary security checkpoint at the gate (a few questions, carry-on bag checks, and metal wand checks) prior to boarding. NOTE: not many choices for food in the BsAs airport, so I'd suggest eating prior to the airport and just get a snack there if you are hungry.

Any questions, let me know!

Thank you for the information. We are planning to spend a couple day in BA then onto a cruise.

Do you have to pay a tax to get into Argentina?. We had to pay $100 per person at Santiago airport to cruise from Chile two years ago.

How much is a taxi fare from the airport to Florida street section of the town?.

About a tax to get in... I'm not sure. We flew there from Brazil (Sao Paulo) on Aerolineas Argentinas, and we didn't have to pay a tax upon arrival. I don't know if there was one included in the ticket or they don't have one upon entry. Your airline or TA should be able to verify that for you.

The airport is on the outskirts of BsAs - I'd guess it would be about a 20-25 minute ride... perhaps 30-45 pesos to Avenida de Mayo area (~$10-15USD). Part will depend on traffic and when you arrive at the airport. If you do this, just write down for the taxi driver:

AVENIDA DE MAYO Y FLORIDA

About 3/4 of the way on Florida (all pedestrian except at a few cross streets), there is a pretty amazing mall called Galleria Pacifico. It's on your right as you head to Plaza San Martin. Check it out. The architecture is simply amazing.

Thanks for all your good information, ReadytoFloat. We will be in BA for four days (actually four nights and five days) postcruise at the Hilton after our Star Princess Antarctica cruise. I saw your great suggestions for one day options. Could you elaborate on the walking tour, and how it is booked? Also, what would you add for a longer stay like ours? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ellie

Any idea how far it is from the airport to the city, then to the cruise ship port? Costs?

I see that in the Budget Travel top 100 deals they list both the Claridge Hotel and the Hilton as "best deals" Any experience or thoughts about either one?

Thanks for any tips you can provide, I'll be staying in BA for 2-3 days prior to a cruise in Jan 2009.

Doug

Thanks for all your good information, ReadytoFloat. We will be in BA for four days (actually four nights and five days) postcruise at the Hilton after our Star Princess Antarctica cruise. I saw your great suggestions for one day options. Could you elaborate on the walking tour, and how it is booked? Also, what would you add for a longer stay like ours? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ellie

The tour we took was with Alan Patrick, a British expat who has been living in BsAs for several years. He does a great job of blending information about the city, history of Argentina and social issues along with some good humor. He charges ~$30-40/pp depending on your group size, and you see a lot of the highlights of the city in ~ 3 hours. Check www.buenostours.com for more info. Alan has a self guided tour with a map as well on the site, though I'd suggest hiring his services if available (he offers tours 2x/day, M-F only).

I'd suggest you consider a trip to Colonia, Uruguay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia_del_Sacramento)if you are there for more than two days. This day long trip is across the Rio de la Plata (river) via a fast ferry, which takes around 1 hour, or a slow ferry which takes around 3 hours. Colonia is a beautiful city, with a historical section that is fantastic. Well preserved, it blends museums with great cafes and restaurants along a nice pedestrian area that dates back to the 17th century and is a World Heritage site by UNESCO. You can get there by the ferry Buquebus (www.buquebus.com) and fares range from ~$140 pesos (~$35USD) to a package that includes tours and lunch for ~$235 pesos (~$75USD).

If you are there over a Sunday, visit San Telmo street fair/market, rich with artisans, live music and tango shows on the street. If you are there on a Thursday, at 3:30pm the Madres march at Plaza de Mayo (right next to the pink house) to protest the 30,000+ deaths in the 70's and to call for continued investigations and justice. Recoleta offers free tours in English at times, and the best way is to contact the Buenos Aires Tourism Office at (http://www.bue.gov.ar/home/index.php?lang=en) where you can request some tours in English, or visit their calendar of existing tours (http://www.bue.gov.ar/recorridos/?menu_id=17&info=visitas) for possible connections.

I didn't visit, but the museum of art (MALBA) is apparently a great view (http://www.malba.org.ar/web/en/mission/index.php). One popular area for our group was the Bosques de Palermo (Location: Av. del Libertador and Av. Sarmiento, Neighbourhood: Palermo, Opened: 1875). There is also a tribute to Evita with a large metallic flower (Plaza Frances, I beleive) - this 2-3 story flower opens with the sun and closes at night.

If you go to Palermo, check out La Cabrera (there are two, the north one is at 5127 Cabrera in Palermo and was a little nicer) for great steaks. It was the most tender cut I had in BsAs and the cuts are so large, they'll suggest you share - and unless you can eat substantial portions of carne in one meal, it's good advice. In fact, I'd split everything... appetizer or salad (both might be too much), dinner, and dessert. You can have an absolutely fabulous meal for ~$120 pesos ($40USD total) for two. They don't open until 8:30pm (everyone eats very late in BsAs) and reservations are a good idea. Also in Palermo is a type of artisan market in Plaza Serano on Saturdays and Sundays, which is surrounded by trendy shopping and boutiques. Here you can find handcrafted glassware, purses, clothes, toys, and a variety of paintings.

I'm sure I've left out a few things - but this is a great start. Hope it helps!

Any idea how far it is from the airport to the city, then to the cruise ship port? Costs?

I see that in the Budget Travel top 100 deals they list both the Claridge Hotel and the Hilton as "best deals" Any experience or thoughts about either one?

Thanks for any tips you can provide, I'll be staying in BA for 2-3 days prior to a cruise in Jan 2009.

Doug

Airport to city - I'd guess around 20-25 minutes, and perhaps around $30-45 pesos (~$15USD). From the city to the port - if you are downtown (most likely the vicinity), I'd guess the port is around a 10-15 minute taxi ride, and perhaps 15-25 pesos (~$8USD). This is all based on an exchange rate of ~3pesos per USD, which is what it was in 1/08.

I've not seen either of the hotels, but I looked up their location and they are definitely centrally located. There is alot to do and see around Plaza de Mayo and in that vicinity. The San Telmo market starts right off that Plaza, and a trip to Recoleta or La Boca is just a short hop from there.

We stayed in Palermo, which is further away but in a very active restaurant and shopping district. One nice place is the Noa Noa Lofts + Art, which offers an apartment style accommodation (with mini kitchen) in a boutique setting (just 10 units). Staff are great (www.noanoalofts.com.ar) and neighborhood is safe, with a ton of cafes, restaurants, and a huge diversity of cuisine (parrillas, pizzarias, sushi, asian, greek, empanadas, etc).

You'll love BsAs. Give yourself plenty of time to check out the sights. A suggested resource is (http://www.bue.gov.ar/home/index.php?lang=en) and/or (www.buenostours.com). Whether or not you use Alan for a walking tour (we loved it), there is some good info and his suggestions were some of our hightlights in the city.

Enjoy BsAs!

Thank you for so much useful information. We leave in just a couple of days and have made a few reservations already; one being the ferry over to Colonia, Uruguay. When you visited there did you take a tour, rent transportation, walk or how did you visit all the sights? We are only going to get a half a day there and I don't want to miss anything so your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for so much useful information. We leave in just a couple of days and have made a few reservations already; one being the ferry over to Colonia' date=' Uruguay. When you visited there did you take a tour, rent transportation, walk or how did you visit all the sights? We are only going to get a half a day there and I don't want to miss anything so your suggestions would be appreciated. [/size']

Our tour included a 'transfer' to the downtown area, which essentially was a trip on a bus for about 6 blocks. It would be very easy to walk to the old portion from where the Buquebus drops you off, though there are taxis around as well.

We took a walking tour scheduled with our trip and via Buquebus. It was about 45 minutes and was pretty good. They have tours in English available via Buquebus, though I didn't see any options once we got on the island for alternative tours... they may be there, but I didn't see any and wasn't necessarily looking. If you reserve a tour via Buquebus, you'll need to check in while on the ferry. That's where you let them know you need an English tour, and they'll have a staff member available upon exit to connect with you.

As for transportation on the island, the old town and preserved site is around 10-15 blocks... that sounds small, though it's a good size and has plenty to see (museums, cafes, restaurants, plazas, etc). Depending on preference and/or mobility, a cart may help with transportation in the old town area, though it is very walkable and many streets are pedestrian only. In my opionion, a cart is not necessary to see this area.

Once on the island, you can rent a golf cart for transportation via Thrifty... it's about $15/hr. There are some beach areas (which were nice) about 10 blocks from the old town area, and we walked it - though in the heat and hills, a golf cart would have been nice to get around. About 10% of the island is the Heritage Site, so if you want to explore most of the island, consider some form of transportation.

It looked like there were more taxi's than tourists on the day we were there (a Saturday), so you may be able to work out a drop-off/pickup time with a driver and have that option as well.

If you are from the US, the USD is quite strong in both Argentina and Uruguay, so this is one part of the world where your currency will take you further. Colonia uses Uruguay Pesos, though most locations will accept USD and Argentine Pesos. Credit cards are accepted at many shops and restaurants. I didn't exchange any money and was fine, while others exchanged for more ease in paying for products. Your call. There are ATM's at some banks as a backup.

I really enjoyed Colonia. I hope you will too.

On the return: You'll need to go through customs while on the island, so give yourself about 1 hour prior to departure to be back at the ferry terminal to get your return tickets, go through customs and head back on board.

Are you taking the fast or slow ferry?

Our tour included a 'transfer' to the downtown area, which essentially was a trip on a bus for about 6 blocks. It would be very easy to walk to the old portion from where the Buquebus drops you off, though there are taxis around as well.

We took a walking tour scheduled with our trip and via Buquebus. It was about 45 minutes and was pretty good. They have tours in English available via Buquebus, though I didn't see any options once we got on the island for alternative tours... they may be there, but I didn't see any and wasn't necessarily looking. If you reserve a tour via Buquebus, you'll need to check in while on the ferry. That's where you let them know you need an English tour, and they'll have a staff member available upon exit to connect with you.

As for transportation on the island, the old town and preserved site is around 10-15 blocks... that sounds small, though it's a good size and has plenty to see (museums, cafes, restaurants, plazas, etc). Depending on preference and/or mobility, a cart may help with transportation in the old town area, though it is very walkable and many streets are pedestrian only. In my opionion, a cart is not necessary to see this area.

Once on the island, you can rent a golf cart for transportation via Thrifty... it's about $15/hr. There are some beach areas (which were nice) about 10 blocks from the old town area, and we walked it - though in the heat and hills, a golf cart would have been nice to get around. About 10% of the island is the Heritage Site, so if you want to explore most of the island, consider some form of transportation.

It looked like there were more taxi's than tourists on the day we were there (a Saturday), so you may be able to work out a drop-off/pickup time with a driver and have that option as well.

If you are from the US, the USD is quite strong in both Argentina and Uruguay, so this is one part of the world where your currency will take you further. Colonia uses Uruguay Pesos, though most locations will accept USD and Argentine Pesos. Credit cards are accepted at many shops and restaurants. I didn't exchange any money and was fine, while others exchanged for more ease in paying for products. Your call. There are ATM's at some banks as a backup.

I really enjoyed Colonia. I hope you will too.

On the return: You'll need to go through customs while on the island, so give yourself about 1 hour prior to departure to be back at the ferry terminal to get your return tickets, go through customs and head back on board.

Are you taking the fast or slow ferry?

Can you answer questions about the Air France &/or American Airlines lounges at the Buenos Aires airport (hrs etc.) Thanks

Can you answer questions about the Air France &/or American Airlines lounges at the Buenos Aires airport (hrs etc.) Thanks

We flew Continental, and other than looking for some food at the airport, didn't do too much exploring and didn't notice either lounge.

Sorry - don't have any info on this one.

We're taking the fast ferry. Do I understand you correctly that you can rent a golf cart to travel around the Heritage section of the city? I'm thinking that mode of transportation may enable us to see more since we only have half a day for our visit.

The carts should be able to go anywhere a car would go, so you could use them on the roadways in the heritage section. If you want to see as much as possible, I'd definitely consider the carts. Have fun! Oh, don't worry about speeding, I think their max speed is about 10-15mph. You'll see lots of carts and lots of mopeds/scooters around that area.

The Admiral's Club is close to AA's gate 9 at EZE airport. We found it comfortable with the usual amenities and free items that have a charge in US clubs (champagne, liquor, wine). The club is shared with AA partners so it tends to have a lot a traffic. Noticed several times when people appeared to be looking for seats.

We must have gotten there at the right time because we had no problem.

The Admiral's Club is close to AA's gate 9 at EZE airport. We found it comfortable with the usual amenities and free items that have a charge in US clubs (champagne, liquor, wine). The club is shared with AA partners so it tends to have a lot a traffic. Noticed several times when people appeared to be looking for seats.

We must have gotten there at the right time because we had no problem.

Thanks for the information, we will be leaving on a 10:15pm flight on Delta and didn't know how late the lounges were open. At least we will have somewhere to land for awhile.

In addition to my thoughts (above) on the downtown/port area, a nice place to look for hotels is in the Palermo area. There are a variety of subsections in Palermo - Palermo Viejo, Palermo Hollywood, etc. Palermo is a more residential area, though it has been blossoming with boutique shops and great restaurants. It also has some great parks, gardens and a zoo. It is very pedestrian friendly.

Plaza Serano (in Palermo) is a hopping place - lots of restaurants and shopping areas. If you look at recommendation sites like Independent Traveler or Trip Advisor, you can see some interesting options in all areas.

While Palermo will involve a taxi outside of the downtown area, it's worth a look. Taxi to downtown for us was around 15 pesos (~$5USD). The availability of great food, shops and markets more than made up for the distance. In over two weeks in BsAs, our best meals (quality and variety) were in this neighborhood.

ReadytoFloat,

You have been a wealth of information and I know we all appreciate all the insight you have given.

I will be in Buenos Aires next month, staying in Palermo Viejo at Hotel Bobo and also have Alan booked, but as a full day tour. He's doing a motified version of the downtown walking tour but then going to get in several of the outer neighborhoods for us as well. From 9 am til 6 p.m. so glad to hear your good reviews on him. He's been so helpful in our planning.

My question is, did you go to any of the tango shows yourself and if so, which ones and what were your feelings on them? I've had my choice narrowed down to three and with only two nights there after a 2 week cruise, we'll only be doing one, so would love any feedback if you have any on this topic.

Thanks again for all of your guidance.

Cathy

ReadytoFloat,

You have been a wealth of information and I know we all appreciate all the insight you have given.

I will be in Buenos Aires next month, staying in Palermo Viejo at Hotel Bobo and also have Alan booked, but as a full day tour. He's doing a motified version of the downtown walking tour but then going to get in several of the outer neighborhoods for us as well. From 9 am til 6 p.m. so glad to hear your good reviews on him. He's been so helpful in our planning.

My question is, did you go to any of the tango shows yourself and if so, which ones and what were your feelings on them? I've had my choice narrowed down to three and with only two nights there after a 2 week cruise, we'll only be doing one, so would love any feedback if you have any on this topic.

Thanks again for all of your guidance.

Cathy

You are welcome! BsAs is a great place, and I'm happy to share my great experiences in this great city.

Alan is a great resource. And, his suggestions were right on... I'm glad we listened.

As for Tango:

-I saw Tango shows in the streets of San Telmo on a Sunday afternoon. You can also see some shows in La Boca. These were very good - not the sit down, have a cocktail and dress up events, but the quality was very good. After a tip (propina) for the performers, I was able to also see some interesting music shows. This is the low-key option (as well as low cost).

-Others in our group went to Cafe Tortoni (~$40pesos or ~$14USD). The seating area is small and intimate (perhaps 75 in the audience). They said the quality was very good. This is the more intimate theatre option.

-Others in our group went to El viejo Almacen. They chose the show-only option, and I believe it was around $120 pesos (~$40USD) per person. They received free transportation to/from the show, some wine, and the show. They liked the show and thought it was very good quality, though some commented it seemed quite touristy... as that was (as it appeared) the entire audience. I'm sure there are many other options for Tango shows, and I'm sure they are all very good.

I'd guess it comes down to preference. The continuum of options is above... from street to intimate hall to larger tourist show. If someone loves getting dressed up and the Tango show will be a big event, then I'd choose either the Tortoni style or the larger touristy one. If one wanted to watch a variety of performers and didn't want the touristy version, I'd suggest the local street performers. I didn't hear anyone say it wasn't "worth" what they paid - so they all felt like what they chose was valuable (and beautiful).

If you'd like any restaurant suggestions in Palermo, just let me know.

ReadytoFloat,

Since our tour with Alan is on a Sunday and we will also be including San Telmo and La Boca, I'm sure we will see some tango dancers. I think going to a tango show would still be something we would enjoy but from all I read, most anyone that picks a random show, still seems pretty happy with their decision, especially if you have nothing to compare it to. I won't, since we are only there two nights after a cruise starting in Santiago.

As far as restaurant choices, for Palermo area, at this time, we are planning on La Cabrera. I've read very good things about it. Will also plan on eating near our tango show but not doing the dinner with the show since those aren't always getting the best of reviews. :) Especially with so many wonderful restaurant choices in this city. But sure, I'd be interested to hear your recommendations for restaruants in this area, for both lunch and dinner.

I do have another question that perhaps you can help with. It's in regards to flying out of Buenos Aires. Our flight out is about 8:30 pm. I'm being told to allow about 3 hours to get through all the security, etc, etc, etc. But I'm also told that there isn't much there as far as eating for dinner. Obviously we won't be able to go out to dinner that night since most places won't be opened until we are leaving. What would your suggestion be for a meal around this time and do you recall what MAY have been in the airport?

Thanks again for your help.

Cathy

ReadytoFloat,

I think going to a tango show would still be something we would enjoy.

As far as restaurant choices, for Palermo area, at this time, we are planning on La Cabrera. But sure, I'd be interested to hear your recommendations for restaruants in this area, for both lunch and dinner.

I do have another question that perhaps you can help with. It's in regards to flying out of Buenos Aires. Our flight out is about 8:30 pm. I'm being told to allow about 3 hours to get through all the security, etc, etc, etc. But I'm also told that there isn't much there as far as eating for dinner. Obviously we won't be able to go out to dinner that night since most places won't be opened until we are leaving. What would your suggestion be for a meal around this time and do you recall what MAY have been in the airport?

Thanks again for your help.

Cathy

I think you'll enjoy a Tango show. Your idea about a dinner somewhere else is a good one - the best of both worlds!

The one we went to was La Cabrera Norte (Cabrera Y Thames, just up about 1/2 block). Get ready for a great meal!

Other suggestions for Palermo (I put rough locations where memory was available):

-Osaka had good sushi, noodle and wok dishes. It's in the Fitz Roy Y Guatemala area. Very busy - reservations recommended.

-Itamae (sp?) Sushi was also good, and perhaps the least expensive of the bunch. They also had really good meat skewer entrees. Walk in ok. Fitz Roy area.

-Sudesta was one of the few places with spice. This Asian/Thai fusion restaurant has wonderful flavor. I tried a beef skewer with zesty peanut sauce. Very good. Gets busy too, reservations a good idea if possible. Also Fitz Roy Y Guatemala area.

-Siamo Noi was a nice place for lunch - 1500 block of Bonpland (between Gorritti and Cabrera). Kind of an Asian/Mediterranean fusion place. Lunch was around $15-20 pesos (~$5-7USD).

-Viejo Hollywood Pizza was good for delivery. Great pizza, nice salads, huge calzones. Large pizzas are around $10USD. They say the large feed 2 people... more like 3-4 people. A large pizza and a salad would be a nice meal.

-Ceviche is one that our group loved, but I didn't get a chance to eat there. The choices were many and described as 'fantastic' in quality.

-There are lots of empanada places in the area. At many, you can get a dozen empanadas for around $5 USD. If you have a fridge, they also make a good mid afternoon snack after about 20-30 seconds in the microwave.

There is also a day spa on Fitz Roy (1600 or 1700 block). Massages are 60 pesos (~$20USD). Very good.

About the airport - we gave ourselves a little over two hours. The American Airlines line was HUGE, though ours on Continental went really quick. It looked like a tour group and cruise were all ready to check in at American, and they had all the check-in counters open, though seemed like there were some long and tired faces... not sure if that was from a day of travel and disembarkation, or the airport line, or both. I hate to say it, though given that scenario 3 hours is probably a safe bet. Once you check in, the process is pretty quick, even paying the airport tax and getting through security. Most international flights leave 8-11pm, so it can get busy.

I'd suggest eating a late lunch, early dinner at a local cafe near your hotel. While the restaurants won't be open yet, the cafe's will, and you can get a nice meal there. Then, if you are hungry, get a snack at the airport.

I'm not sure how many terminals/gate areas they had, but we were at gate 2, and I explored up to gate 12. Within that space there were only two places to get meal type food - and both had the same menu it looked like - mostly sandwiches, some salads, or a quiche. The lines at the time we were there were very long and very SLOW. Thus, the suggestion to avoid a meal at the airport - the speed and selection elsewhere will be much better.

Thanks for all this great information.I will be in BA for a week after my cruise ens there in feb next year.It will probably be the only time i am in south america so i thought i might as well stay for a while and check it out.

At the minute i am going to be traveling alone{altough who knows what could happen in a year!},did you identify any problems there might be for lone females?I,m pretty well traveled so am savy about the do,s and donts in most counteries but the whole of south america is virgin terrority to me.

I was really pleased about the info about the day trip to Uruguay as this is something i really want to do but wasnt sure it would be possible in a day

I,m sure i will loads more questions

Thanks again Heather

Thanks for all this great information.I will be in BA for a week after my cruise ens there in feb next year.It will probably be the only time i am in south america so i thought i might as well stay for a while and check it out.

At the minute i am going to be traveling alone{altough who knows what could happen in a year!},did you identify any problems there might be for lone females?I,m pretty well traveled so am savy about the do,s and donts in most counteries but the whole of south america is virgin terrority to me.

I was really pleased about the info about the day trip to Uruguay as this is something i really want to do but wasnt sure it would be possible in a day

Thanks again Heather

Heather,

I just returned from a solo trip to Argentina and an Antarctic cruise. I walked on Calle Florida alone and had a great time, ate at a little outdoor Italian cafe called Il Gran Caffe on Florida. I also ate alone at Puerto Cristal, a lovely restaurant on the waterfront in Puerto Madero [varied menu with good seafood]. Of course I did meet some folks who were also scheduled to be on my cruise and we did some things together after the cruise in BA. There is a good restaurant called Dora that has excellent seafood in the Retiro area---great food and huge portions. I highly recommend it!

Thanks again Heather

Hi Heather,

I was prepared for anything, though found Buenos Aires to be as safe (or safer) than the US. In my group there were many females who traveled alone or in very small groups, and they stated that they never felt like they were uncomfortable from a safety standpoint.

Despite being ALL over the city for two solid weeks and traveling with all forms of transportation (taxi, a lot of walking, subway, city buses, etc), we only had one pickpocket incident on the subway when it was crammed with more people than at the opening buffet on a cruise ship... wall to wall people.

I would take normal precautions (as I would in the US and any country as a traveler). If my sister was going to be in BsAs for a week, I wouldn't be any more worried than her being in San Diego or Orlando.

So, no special concerns for a lone female based on our extensive travels. Our travel book from Lonely Planet put it this way - "In general, BA is as safe as many other big cities in the world. You can comfortably walk around at all hours of the night in many places, even as a lone woman. ... look like you know exactly where you're going, with the attitude that you could kick the a** of anyone who gives you grief."

I found that at night, some people will congregate and 'people watch' just as we do in the states. I found that a polite "Hola" would bring a smile and a "Que tal?" from otherwise stone faced pedestrians.

You'll love BsAs - if you have any further questions, let me know.

-ReadyToFloat

Archived