Just Back from Buenos Aires - Any Questions?

ReadyToFloat

:confused: We will be spending two days in Buenos Aires in Jan - have our sightseeing

taken care of but would like to do some shopping for leather jackets and

gloves - any recommendations to reliable, honest shops ?? Thanks :)

Avoid Florida street where sales pressure is high and quality is mixed. Locals often mention the numerous leather shops around Murillo and Scalabrini Ortiz Sts, but I found the search for quality there tedious. For good quality stay with the nicer stores in the large shopping centers ( eg. Patio Bulrich, Galleria Pacifico, Alcorta, Alto Palermo) like Zara, Christian Dior, Christian Lecroix (Christian LaCroix Outlet - Av Segui 4662 is especially good for men´s clothes at off prices). For top qualtiy see the shops on Avs Alvear and Posadas in the Recoleta , eg. Ralph Lauren, Casa Lopez, Lopez Taibo, Prune and also the designer boutiques/shops on the streets of Palermo Soho.

• 9 months later...

Any questions, let me know!

Hi:

I will be in Buenos Aires for a few days before a cruise in January. We have a group of people from Cruise Critic that will be meeting for the first time to go to dinner and someone suggested to me that we try one of the restaurants in the "Old Port area". Do you know which neighborhood the old port area is in, or can you recommend a restaurant.

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Hi:

I will be in Buenos Aires for a few days before a cruise in January. We have a group of people from Cruise Critic that will be meeting for the first time to go to dinner and someone suggested to me that we try one of the restaurants in the "Old Port area". Do you know which neighborhood the old port area is in, or can you recommend a restaurant.

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Arlene, The "old port area" is called Puerto Madero and it is located adjacent to downtown Buenos Aires. Puerto Madero consists of 0ld brick warehouses that have been converted to apartments, office condos, restaurants and a university. There are numerous restaurants that offer waterfront dining...In general the area caters to tourists and business men on expense accounts.

Some of the restaurants I would recommend, but many are overpriced for the quality of food they offer. One of my favorities is called Happening, which specializes in Argentinan food (steak, lamb, some fish). If you like Italian, Sotto Voce and La Parolaccia are good choices.

Arlene, The "old port area" is called Puerto Madero and it is located adjacent to downtown Buenos Aires. Puerto Madero consists of 0ld brick warehouses that have been converted to apartments, office condos, restaurants and a university. There are numerous restaurants that offer waterfront dining...In general the area caters to tourists and business men on expense accounts.

Some of the restaurants I would recommend, but many are overpriced for the quality of food they offer. One of my favorities is called Happening, which specializes in Argentinan food (steak, lamb, some fish). If you like Italian, Sotto Voce and La Parolaccia are good choices.

Thank you. Sounds perfect. I will look up the Happening.

Regards,

Arlene

Can you tell me about the GRAND KING HOTEL

Apparently it is near Florida and Lavalle street

We will be in BA for 4 days after cruise in Jan .I speak Spanish

What not to miss ?visits Restaurants

Shopping for hubby and other son...suggestions..

Language not an issue

Took down all your other posts and will bring them with me to BA

Thanks

Can you tell me about the GRAND KING HOTEL

Apparently it is near Florida and Lavalle street

We will be in BA for 4 days after cruise in Jan .I speak Spanish

What not to miss ?visits Restaurants

Shopping for hubby and other son...suggestions..

Language not an issue

Took down all your other posts and will bring them with me to BA

Thanks

The Grand King is smack dab in the middle of downtown on the pedestrian walkway, made up of Lavalle and Florida streets. Watch your valuables, as lots of pickpockets hang out in the area. The hotel itself is a basic two star establishment.

Restaurants...Here is a link to a local restaurant rating guide...

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/

Near where you will be staying ( I think at the corner of Esmeralda and Lavalle)...Valle Rio is a decent cafe...I like their liquados (fruit drinks made with milk or water base, you choose) and some of the lunch specials.

Pizza/pasta at Los Inmortales is another ok location near your hotel.

What not to miss: You will be within walking distance of Plaza de Mayo...around the plaza you will find the Casa Rosada (presidential palace...Evita once spoke from the balconies to the assembled masses below), the cathedral where Gen San Martin is buried, and several other histroic buildings. The Madres de Plaza de Mayo are there every Thursday afternoon at 3PM.

You can take a cab to Recoleta and visit the cemetary and the nearby Bellas Artes Museum....a bit further out is the MALBA museum of Latin American Art...

Shopping...leather is the specialty...some high quality goods can be found near the Marriott Hotel at the end of Florida Street, on Marcelo T de Alvear...or anywhere up and down Florida street...

Has anyone used BA FREE TOUR? It does 2 walking tours daily and they are just paid by tips.

On our cruise in March 2010 we will have 2 different overnights. Our first stop is a Sun & Mon and the 2nd is Th & Fri. On our 2nd days in port we leave at 4 pm. So we'll be able to see the Sun San Telmo street mkt which really sounds interesting. What is a good time to be there? What day would you suggest for Colonia? Other ideas for the rest of the time? Any museums, galleries to maybe spend a little extra time? Any other day trips nearby?

I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

Archived