Time for excursion before setting sail on Summit Alaska southbound?

MontiD

We are cruising Alaska on the Summit 6/24/05 sched to leave port at 9pm. We'll be arriving by train from Anchorage to Seward at 11am, and wanted to take in a 1/2 day (afternoon)excursion of Kenai Fjords park. Would there be a problem in planning to board the Summit around 6-7pm? Will we be rushed in getting registered etc. if we board early evening?

Also, any suggestions of what to do with our luggage while we are taking the afternoon tour? Is there some way to have the bags taken and checked in with the ship? Thanks for the suggestions!:)

Boarding as late as you say is not a problem. One option is to first go to the pier from the train station in Seward and check in, then go do your excursion. We did a similar thing this summer, and it was very easy to get on and off the ship - you can get back on the ship as late as 8:30pm. Alaska Railroad was very efficient with how they labeled/handled luggage. If time is too tight for you to go the ship first - it is very close to train station - then Kenai Fjords tour company can also hold your luggage while you do boat ride (at least they offered to do that this summer), and they will meet you at the train with a van to drive you over to their office/dock. Everything is very close though, so you should really be fine. As an aside, don't know what your travel plans are, but if you have more time, we really enjoyed spending a night in Seward before our Summit Cruise - there was a lot to see/do there, and it was nice to have a couple of days there.

Just back from our cruise on Summit 9/3. We took the train from Anchorage to Seward. Our bags were automatically sent to the ship. I never saw them after the depot in Anchorage until they were in my cabin.

We chose the Exit Glacier and returned to the ship around 2. Seating was open and casual dress.

You will have until 8:30 PM to board the ship.

Karen

ditto: The railroad took the luggage for the Celebrity passengers...directly to the ship.

However, I will say that any of the Railroad staff we spoke to about this were very confused and unable to give us a clear answer. This includes the depot workers in Anchorage.

It wasn't until we got off the train in Seward and stood by the luggage area...that we received a confirmation that our luggage was going on ahead of us.

Apparently, there are other cruise lines that they do not do this for. Maybe Celebrity has a little contract with them??

It was about a ten minute walk from the depot in Seward....to the ship. And....what an excited walk that was! :)

Hi MontiD, my dh and I will also be on the cruise with you on June 24. We will be doing the Celebrity land tour before arriving in Seward. Was also thinking about doing something after I settle in on the ship. But, have no idea what time I will be arriving in Seward. Was told I can do a tour no longer than 4 hrs. Will have to investigate further. Looking forward to meeting you. Lois

Archived