Anyone have to change passengers on very short notice?

justfor411

Hi there

Was hoping I can find anyone who has had any luck in getting a change in one of the booked passengers on a reservation with Celebrity when the cruise is about to depart in 5-7 days.

This would be the second person, not the primary guest to whom everything is billed. Unfortunately, a dire circumstance seems most likely to cause the booked passenger to be unable to go on the cruise, but a second person is willing (and eager) to go in their place.

I've emailed my travel agent, but with the weekend it may be unlikely I'll hear from them until Monday (Monday is 7 days from departure). I also will be calling Celebrity (probably the Captain's Club number, as I have sailed Celeb 4 times) and trying to work it from that angle, but was hoping someone here my have some tips/tactics or simply evidence it's been done before that might help me plead my case.

I am of course willing to pay a reasonable fee for this adjustment. The cruise is still being booked, so it seems modifications to the APIS passenger manifest are still possible, but I assume Celebrity's policies will make this difficult.

Unfortunately, the reason the booked second passenger may miss the boat is not one that would trigger the cruise insurance, so if I can't get the change effected, we either lose the one passenger's fare and the other booked person sails alone, or we cancel and eat the entire fare and rebook quickly with the new person. Obviously we don't like either alternative at this time :(

Thanks for your help

Ma Bell,

Thanks, I certainly hope this is so.:)

I was basing my question on this Question and Answer on Celebrity's site, in the Prepare to Sail - FAQ Section:

Can I make changes to a guest listed on my reservation?

Name changes can be made to all but one original guest on a reservation except when:

the reservation has been paid in full;

air arrangements have been confirmed;

departure date is less than thirty-five (35) days away.

That made things look quite grim, but I had to wonder how realistic it was, given that it would seem likely this sort of situation occurs at least more than once a milenium for some booked passenger .

Thanks again!

Unfortunately with all the new security rules, and cruise lines having to submit passenger manifests earlier than before, the cruise lines are very hesitant to make changes to their guest lists. Are you absolutely certain the travel insurance won't cover the cancelation? It's always best to go that route before you cancel, rebook or lost any money. Call the insurance and plead your case.

I would put in a phone call to you travel agent or at least his/hers voice mail at once. That's what they are there for. A no cost value added service. Of course free applies to their personal service only. There will be a cruiseline charge of some kind.

The name change fee for the cruise document is $35. It should not be problem even within 7 days. If there is an airline ticket involved this may be more of a problem. Good luck

There actually is no set fee for name changes. The $35 fee is a document fee if new documents are requested. To the best of my knowledge there can be no name changes within 72 hours of sailing.

Any changes after final payment are at the discretion of the cruise line, but they usually are somewhat accomodating.

As I am a TA, I make the call and if I sense a problem, I drop the request and call back to talk to someone else. As has been stated often on this board, you can get a different story every time you talk to anyone. Just keep calling until you get what you want.

Reggie:D

Hi, We know from experience that everything has to be in place 72 hours before cruising. Since it sounds like this is a shared cabin, there obviously won't be the problem of someone on a waiting list getting this reservation. If the first person you call at Celebrity won't help you, call again until you reach someone that is willing to take the time and make the effort. :)

Thanks to everyone for their responses!

I am a bit encouraged! I plan to be burning up the phone lines as soon as possible. This would be the second person in a cabin, as someone suggested, so it doesn't need to involve a rebooking, as long as Celeb cooperates.

If anyone has any further tips or stories of how you got something like this taken care of, I'll be reading the board throughout the week and would appreciate any and all input!

Thanks again! :)

I had this experience last January before our trip on the Mercury. My mother had back surgery and was not sufficiently recovered. She waited until the last minute to admitt she could not go.

Late Thursday evening I called Celebrity customer service, our cruise was to depart on Sunday. They requested a Dr satement that mom was unable to cruise and why.

My daughter was boooked in her place with no problem. Everything was smooth sailing from there.

I had this experience last January before our trip on the Mercury. My mother had back surgery and was not sufficiently recovered. She waited until the last minute to admitt she could not go.

Late Thursday evening I called Celebrity customer service, our cruise was to depart on Sunday. They requested a Dr satement that mom was unable to cruise and why.

My daughter was boooked in her place with no problem. Everything was smooth sailing from there.

Archived