Where will Century go instead of Cayman?

Bisous3

My friend is leaving on the Century next Saturday and its supposed to be Western Caribbean. My neighbor works for the British gevernment and said there is no way that ship can stop at Grand Cayman, and there are no ships currently stopping there. No where on the island has power except for places with generators, and the government buildings will first get their power on Monday.

There is nothing on X's website regarding an itinerary change.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks

Suzanne

Hey Suzanne, in the last two cruises they've gone to Costa Mayo and Belize. I'm on this same cruise and asked around, no one is sure where or what. But I agree , the Caymans is gonna be out. I called Celebrity yesterday, their response is that it will be up to the captain and depending on the weather conditions at the time. So they can change it during the sailing. So I guess it's gonna be an adventure!

George

This is part of a post on the Grand Cayman thread. It is from the managing Director of Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions. It will answer many questions. I'm hoping they stay on target for cruise ships returning to Cayman...as we travel early November!

"Various reports are being read from people in Grand Cayman, unfortunately 50% of reports can be “dismissed” as rumors and not factual. The “telephone game” is alive and well in Grand Cayman at the present time, an Island where rumors, fake conspiracies and general gossip is a way of life. Many people living in East End cannot go to George Town (1 hour drive) due to lack of gasoline, West Bayers are not venturing into George Town (curfews, lack of gas, cars etc) many people have not left their condominium complex and are just claiming they know all from what their neighbor has told them. I admit I am no better, I am not even there!! But can say that I am constantly on the phone with many people (less and less as time goes by due to cell phones batteries expiring) we have one of the only land lines available on Island and many people are using it to call their family and friends, (we have a small line outside our office all day) None of my friends or family have experience looting problems, corpses are not floating down our streets, that incident was in Bodden Town where the Cemetery is on the ocean and not a widespread phenomenon. Everyone is still in shock, 6 days without power or water is the extreme in survival, the Island is hot (not many leaves left on trees for shade) and people have had enough of roughing it so tempers are starting to run high. My brother in law said it best, he said that we of the “new generation” are freaking out, after all we grew up in Cayman under air-conditioned heaven, no lack of anything, all readily available at our fingertips. The “old Caymanians” are currently laughing at all the young people, telling them “Isn’t this great, it is just like our old Cayman when we grew up, I wish it could be like this forever…” they are eating coconuts (many allover the ground) fishing, loving life, back to their youth. The young Caymanians (and expatriates) are ready to leave and have had enough of sleeping without a/c and no indoor plumbing.

The Port is not gone, it is intact. Hotels are not destroyed but damaged, roofs can be quickly rebuilt, water damage repaired, most Hotels will be re-opened in less than 2 months, some will be open as early as October. Airlines are not scared to come into Cayman, they are just not flying there due to lack of business, tourism is not allowed to enter and airlines work for money, no tourism = no flights. Yes, people are asked to leave, that is due to the current infrastructure of the Island, it is easier to help 20,000 people than 50,000 + there will be no work for most people for about 2 months, most people leaving are going back to their families or to International Office branches found in the USA, Bermuda, Turks etc. where they will be in undoubtedly more comfortable conditions.

7 Mile Beach is much bigger (wider) than before the storm, waves brought much needed sand back where it belongs. Stingray City is still there, rays were most likely much better off than humans during the storm. The Sandbar is formed by waves coming from the sea via the channel nearby, big waves in the channel means more sand being deposited on the Sandbar (much like 7 Mile Beach) The Rays would have most likely swam down the Cayman wall, found 100ft from the sandbar and were surely safe and sound during the storm. I will not discount the fact they are starving, it must be hard going from a daily buffet to no squid handouts overnight but face it, they are better off than most people are at the present time

We have been trying to have confirmations on all excursion vessels in Cayman as many private vessels were damaged. “Our” two 50ft catamarans, the Hannibal and the Buccaneer are 100% operational and sustained no damage during the storm (I am still in shock over that one!) Capt. Bryan reported “My office is gone, my computer is gone but I have my family and my boats, we are ready!!!” He sounded in great spirits and ready to start operations. Capt. Marvin’s is unknown, Soto’s is unknown, Nativeway reportedly lost one vessel (it is out of the water on trees, the extent of the damage is unknown, if any) the other boat is perfectly fine. Atlantis sustained damage to their boats (rescue vessels, transport vessels, the subs are ok) and will most likely be back in operation within 2 months. The Rum Point Ferry is sitting in the Hyatt’s Parking lot (damage unknown) Red Sail’s two 65ft catamarans have not been reported damaged.

As previously reported the Port will be not accepting Ships for the month of September or perhaps as far as late October. We can expect the first Cruise Liners to visit starting in November, by that time most of the Island will be back to normal, especially George Town and 7 Mile Beach areas, the remaining parts not “back together” will not effect Cruise Ship arrivals in any way, shape or form. Most Operators will be back on their feet, many already are and we will be ready for a beautifully warm winter season for all of you arriving November and onwards.

Matteo Uggeri

Island Marketing Ltd (Cayman)

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com

Is it "up to the captain" on whether to stop at Grand Cayman, or on where to stop other than Grand Cayman? I don't see how the captain can decide to stop at a closed port....

Theron

The captain can stop wherever he wants to (as long as it is not obstructing traffic). Now, whether or not people can get off the ship is an entirely different matter. :);)

Archived