First time Cruiser-Muster Drill Question

tr126

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

The life boat drill takes about 20 minutes although there have been some recent changes. I've heard reports of 10 minute drills.

Often, the life boat drill takes place just shortly after you set sail. They'll announce over the PA system when the drill will commence.

As has been said, count on about 20-45 mins depending on how many 'dawdlers' there are. They are required to account for everyone.

Usually conducted just prior to sailing (review Capers and listen for announcements), but sometimes not until the next day, depending on time of departure. I believe US Coast Guard regulations require it to be conducted within 24 hours of sailing.

If everyone cooperates, and musters at their correct station in a timely manner (tall order I know), it is usually fairly painless..

How long does this typically take?

Too.

I've never seen it occur any time except prior to sailing. Many people have already started drinking -- I know I have.

As with other mandatory "drills" of this sort, it's all fun and games because no one takes it seriously. In an actual emergency, the passengers are going to be too flustered to know what they're doing anyway, and so making them muster is largely a waste of time.

But you can't tell the government anything, and even if you could they wouldn't listen.

Does the ship set sail immediatley after or do you have some time to get to where you want to be?

Where do you want to be? Even if you crawl all the way back to your cabin to drop off your elegant life jackets, and crawl to the bar, you'll still have time to crawl to the forward deck to wave at all the locals on the pier before you get more than a few tenths of a mile down the canal. Ships don't move that fast from a dead stop.

we just got back from sailing on the Pride. The drill was fun......watching civilians have to form into lines was very entertaining.....Have fun with it....it was our first cruise and everything (except for the rude passengers) was more than we had expected.....please smile and talk with the crew.....they are more entertaining and alot more friendly than some of our fellow passengers.....explore the ship and all that it has to offer.....you will have a wonderful time

So will it be like roll call when we were in school where you have to say "here!" when they call your name?

No, they verify you're there by the cabin number stenciled on your life vest, by comparing that to their copy of the ship's manifest.

So will it be like roll call when we were in school where you have to say "here!" when they call your name?

No, there won't be any of that, but they do perform a cabin check. And when they find slackers, everyone else has to wait for them to get to muster.

We were on the Fantasy in Dec and drill was before sailing and took only about 10-15 mins. The fastest drill yet!!! We had plenty of time to get our jackets back to the room and up to deck before sail away. On the Conquest in July it took about 30 mins and they started sailing during the drill-so we missed sail away. I hated that, it was my kids first cruise and I wanted them to watch us pull away-that did not happen!!!

Archived