Drinks....

5-5-07

We are going on our first cruise in May 3 for our 1st anniversary. My husband and I are drinkers but according to everyone I have talked to we will spend a fortune on drinks on the boat. How can I get my own liquor on the boat?

5-5

there are several threads on "smuggling" booze on board. If you do a simple search, just use the term "smuggle" and a bunch will pop up.

some folks get quite creative, while others just check it in their luggage and hope for the best.

Hello... I too am going on my first cruise in less than 2 weeks. I also like to have evening drinks and was concerned about drink prices. Then, someone introduced me to this site. I am not sure what cruise line you are sailing on, but here are the drink prices on Carnival.

http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Bar_Menu

Being from Denver, the prices on the ship are not bad at all - pretty much what I pay here for drinks at the clubs/lounges/bars. And, Carnival's prices are much cheaper than what I have paid in San Fransico, New York and Seattle.

I don't think I will have to smuggle anything onboard to try to save a few dollars. But, that is just me. Have a great cruise! :D

I don't mean to contradict the above poster but the drinks are expensive, at least in my experience.

I went to a martini party where standard martinis were 1/2 price. $6.50 is half price? I have paid $8 for a glass of wine that I buy at home for $12 per bottle.

Some cruise lines have a 'Bar Set-Up' that you might look into. You buy bottles of liqour from the line at $45 or so and they have it in your cabin when you arrive.

Or you can try to smuggle it like many do. Vodka, gin or white rum in a water bottle?

Most of our drinks are in the $4.50-$5.50 range. They will be more if you insist on "top-shelf" liquor. Beer (domestic) runs about $3.75 or so. This is not what I consider expensive! I guess if you're drinking 10 drinks a night, it could add up, but 2 or 3 per person per evening, and an afternoon drink shouldn't break the bank! And the drinks are STRONG!!!! You really get your money's worth, IMO!

I don't mean to contradict the above poster but the drinks are expensive, at least in my experience.

I went to a martini party where standard martinis were 1/2 price. $6.50 is half price? I have paid $8 for a glass of wine that I buy at home for $12 per bottle.

Some cruise lines have a 'Bar Set-Up' that you might look into. You buy bottles of liqour from the line at $45 or so and they have it in your cabin when you arrive.

Or you can try to smuggle it like many do. Vodka, gin or white rum in a water bottle?

So how much to you pay for a drink at a bar or restaurant? If you never go out, then I can see how one would think drinks are expensive. $4.50 to $5.00 per drink plus 15% tip (Chivas) is cheaper than the average $7.00 plus tax plus tip at a local restaurant.

no matter what establishment you drink at a bar tab can add up...I dont think the cost of drinks on board is that bad...no more than the bars we go to on the weekends here in SD...if you're going to smuggle booze on remember...

-if it breaks in your bag you could walk around smelling like JD all week

-it could get on other pax bags...a bit inconsiderate

-then there's always the extreme...it is against the rules and cruise lines clearly state that they can refuse passage to those that attempt it...although I have never heard of someone being kept from a cruise for trying to be a cheapskate and get booze on board

But you have to compare apples to apples, not oranges. You can't compare a bottle of wine you buy on the corner and drink in your backyard to a glass of wine that you are being served in a 'resort' situation. In my experience, cruise drinks are lots cheaper than equally nice resort situations.

I live in Orlando so I go to the Universal and local restaurants frequently.I have to agree with the above poster that the drinks on the average are not more expensive.It comes down to how much you consume.My mindset is that if I can not afford the drinks then I can not afford the cruise.

this is a link to a place i found on these forums...apparently you can call them and order a bottle(s) of liquor / wine and they will have it shipped to your room. i've read it is certainly pricey, but cheaper than buying drinks onboard:

http://justbecause.addictscay.com/

to learn more about the above site, do a search on: jboy

hope this helps --- artaq.

On all the cruiselines we have been on, the drink prices are the same or lower than any bars you would find on land. We do take a bottle or 2 of wine onboard with us on the lines that allow it but have never felt the need to "smuggle" alcohol on board. Wouldn't you have a bar tab no matter where you vacationed? Just figure it in to the overall cost of the trip.

So how much to you pay for a drink at a bar or restaurant? If you never go out, then I can see how one would think drinks are expensive. $4.50 to $5.00 per drink plus 15% tip (Chivas) is cheaper than the average $7.00 plus tax plus tip at a local restaurant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just thought the 1/2 price martini at $6.50 was outrageous!

This makes their REGULAR price $13 PLUS TIP. And the only time I paid $8 for a glass of wine was for a good wine in a 5 star restaurant that normally sells for $40 a bottle at a local wine shop.

Most of our drinks are in the $4.50-$5.50 range. They will be more if you insist on "top-shelf" liquor. Beer (domestic) runs about $3.75 or so. This is not what I consider expensive! I guess if you're drinking 10 drinks a night, it could add up, but 2 or 3 per person per evening, and an afternoon drink shouldn't break the bank! And the drinks are STRONG!!!! You really get your money's worth, IMO!

Yeah, but who really only drinks 2 or 3 per evening? Also, this statement doesn't factor in drinking in the morning and/or the afternoon. Many are already tanked by noon..

This makes their REGULAR price $13 PLUS TIP. And the only time I paid $8 for a glass of wine was for a good wine in a 5 star restaurant that normally sells for $40 a bottle at a local wine shop.

It really must depend on where you live. I live about 30 miles south of Seattle and even the cheap chain restaurants like Applebees and Outback charge $7-$8 for a glass of medicore wine.?:confused:

obviously people don't realize that some like to drink but 6.5 is average in normal establishments. But I honestly don't think that your own drink in your own cabin is a crime. Coming from Canada, we think that you can make your own drink at twice the fraction of normal costs with your own vodka bottle. Even with the CAD almost at par with the USD!

It really must depend on where you live. I live about 30 miles south of Seattle and even the cheap chain restaurants like Applebees and Outback charge $7-$8 for a glass of medicore wine.?:confused:

Wow, I think even the Applebees in Times Square only charges $6 per glass for that garbage ..but yes, relevant to where you live. $6 for a beer and $6 to $15 for a glass of wine in the city is typical, excluding happy hour ;)..

Not sure where your from but I agree with my fellow Coloradoan, you'll pay 8 bucks here for the house wine and then go up from there. I also think for a $13 martini (depending on how foo-foo you go) you would also have to go to a pretty upscale restaurant/club as I would say the going price for a more "normal" martini in the range of $8-$10. My wife's wine cost $90 on the ship and retails here for about $30. I would consider this also a normal markup as most restaurants get. You have to remember, you're not going down to the local liquor store pricewise; you're going to a bar or a restaurant.

For convenience sake, we do take some Makers in a flask for our before dinner drink in our room. But trust me we don't stiff the cruiseline as they get our $100+ a day even with my flasks.

My husband and I are going to each bring on a bottle of the allowable wine (just make sure you bring a cork screw). We are also going to order a few bottles of alcohol from the Bon Voyage Department. You can't do this online you have to call Carnival directly. I believe a one litre bottle of Absolute Vodka costs $40.00. I am also going to order some drink coupons online. 4 drinks coupons for $21.75. And of course will bring on some ginger ale bottles for my mix. This way I won't have to deal with the hassle of sneaking my alcohol on board. I find the cruise itself to be very affordable already.

We are going on our first cruise in May 3 for our 1st anniversary. My husband and I are drinkers but according to everyone I have talked to we will spend a fortune on drinks on the boat. How can I get my own liquor on the boat?

My husband and I are going to each bring on a bottle of the allowable wine (just make sure you bring a cork screw). We are also going to order a few bottles of alcohol from the Bon Voyage Department. You can't do this online you have to call Carnival directly. I believe a one litre bottle of Absolute Vodka costs $40.00. I am also going to order some drink coupons online. 4 drinks coupons for $21.75. And of course will bring on some ginger ale bottles for my mix. This way I won't have to deal with the hassle of sneaking my alcohol on board and the slim possiblity of the embarrasment of Carnival confiscating it.

• 3 weeks later...

Booze prices vary greatly depending on where you live, city prices and state taxes etc. Reading what others pay makes me appreciate the tundra of Wisconsin (other than winter). Still get a case of beer for $11.99 and our state drink the Brandy Old Fashion is typically $3.50. My wife the wine drinker usually gets a glass for $4-$8 depending on the establishment and quality. Down in Chi Town for the boat show last year and hit a few places on Michigan Ave and that was expensive drinking !!

My husband and I are going to each bring on a bottle of the allowable wine (just make sure you bring a cork screw). We are also going to order a few bottles of alcohol from the Bon Voyage Department. You can't do this online you have to call Carnival directly. I believe a one litre bottle of Absolute Vodka costs $40.00. I am also going to order some drink coupons online. 4 drinks coupons for $21.75. And of course will bring on some ginger ale bottles for my mix. This way I won't have to deal with the hassle of sneaking my alcohol on board and the slim possiblity of the embarrasment of Carnival confiscating it.

Do all cruise lines allow you to preoder bottles and offer online coupons? We are taking our 1st cruise on RCCL next April(4 nights). We were planning on budgeting in the cost for drinks (figuring 3 each/day @ $10 each) into our cruise cost but if we can preorder (and get the soda card for mixers) that may work better. Thanks!

Do all cruise lines allow you to preoder bottles and offer online coupons? We are taking our 1st cruise on RCCL next April(4 nights). We were planning on budgeting in the cost for drinks (figuring 3 each/day @ $10 each) into our cruise cost but if we can preorder (and get the soda card for mixers) that may work better. Thanks!

Very few cruise lines allow you to pre order liquor bottles. Princess will let you order 350 ml bottles once on board. To many drunk related deaths and under age drinking liability has forced the cruise lines to tighten up when it comes to bringing your own alcohol. The profit thing is also a factor.

By the way, budgeting for 3 drinks a day at $10 each may be a smart thing. By doing so, you will have some money left at the end.

Archived