Marine Dress Blues

Jesuslovesyou

I think my husband's wearing his blues at least one night. He's AD MC. He didn't want to draw attention to himself, but there's no reason he shouldn't wear them since he spent thousands of dollars of them already.

Plus, I met him when he was wearing his blues....quite attractive!!

I think my husband's wearing his blues at least one night. He's AD MC. He didn't want to draw attention to himself, but there's no reason he shouldn't wear them since he spent thousands of dollars of them already.

Plus, I met him when he was wearing his blues....quite attractive!!

AMEN!:)

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to come back and share that my son did wear his dress blues on both formal nights ... we got some excellent formal photos taken of our family -- first time we've ever been so dressed up :) together.

He also took his marine flag and hung it in the promenade room window .. that was interesting to see pointing fingers and smiles from people looking up.

Just wanted to come back and share that my son did wear his dress blues on both formal nights ... we got some excellent formal photos taken of our family -- first time we've ever been so dressed up :) together.

He also took his marine flag and hung it in the promenade room window .. that was interesting to see pointing fingers and smiles from people looking up.

We also want to thank your son for his service to our country! DH is retired USAF, so we know what it means when someone says, "Thank You". I know you are so proud of him! We want to see pictures!!!:):)

My son is a Marine and has his Dress Blues Uniform; he's very proud of it :) and so are we ... it's very formal and he would like to wear it on Formal nights. Has anyone else ever worn their military uniform or saw others do this? ps we'll be on the RCCL Mariner; first cruise!

We have seen many in dress uniform and they wear it with PRIDE as should your son -plus he will probably get bought a few drinks!! Thank him for serving our country!!!!

Definitely! My husband always wears his! It is great for pics also! We usually have several marines traveling with us because we talk our friends in to joining us and so we normally are surrounded by at least 3 or 4 guys in Dress Blues. It is a blast going to dinner with them in their uniforms and then to karaoke! Always a good time! We are so proud!:D

Yes, Marine dress blues are appropriate for formal nights. Our first X cruise we had 3 couples at our table: formal nights included 1 Army Captain in Dress Blues, his new bride in a gorgeous gowm; a male couple both in tuxedos; and, me in a a classy dress outfit and my spouse in a tuxedo. Except for one of the male couple we were all Army vets excluding his active duty bride. So yes, we all knew from years of memorizing military handbooks that dress blues are formal.

I am a somewhat recently retired Navy captain who enjoys cruising and while on active duty would get comments from fellow sailors like "you pay perfectly good money to go to sea!" Kind of like the army guy who goes camping for vacation. As much as I tried to tell them that the aft end of the cruise ship with its pool and bar nowhere resembled the aft of a carrier with its arresting gear and hard tack surface, I just never seemed to convince any to try it.

While active I thought it was appropriate to wear my mess dress on civilian cruises. Did it once after I retired but it just did not feel right to me as I think it is an honor that should be reserved for those currently serving either as active duty or in a reserve capacity. Thus I have not worn my mess dress since while on cruise.

I mostly enjoyed wearing the uniform because other military types would seek me out to converse with me and we got to swap sea stories and such plus there was the occasional free drink from an appreciative civilian.

Of course wearing a Navy Captain's Mess dress on a cruise ship had other advantages as in crowded places people would make "a hole" for me believing I was the ships captain. Or the time ship's hostess came running over to my dinner table thinking I was a visiting cruise-line captain she had not been informed of. She was so relieved to discover I was not that she sent over a free bottle of wine and also checked on my table every night to make sure all was well. On the small down side and similar to the earlier posting regarding the Coast Guard Lt., once while wearing my mess dress I was approached by a lady asking where the nearest bathroom was located. Told her that I really did not know but before I could explain I was not the ship's captain she declared out loud for everyone to hear that "Some captain you are when you don't know where the bathrooms are located! I guess we are luckily you can even steer the ship to the next port!"

My favorite story of being the ship's captain occurred when after closing down the last bar on the ship (hey I am a sailor) and heading back to my stateroom I was stopped by a senior lady who was extremely excited to see me as she quickly explained that it was her 80th birthday and she had really wanted to have her picture taken with "the Captain". I explained that while I was a captain that I was not "the captain" she was looking for and then made my apologies for the evening. However, she reached out to me and said, "Hey my friends and family in Iowa will never know the difference between you and the real captain." So I posed with her ensuring that my medals where hidden from the camera's view while her husband took the picture. Now whenever I think that somewhere in Iowa my picture may be on a fireplace mantel with me posing as the Captain of the Carnival Destiny, it always brings a smile to me

So for those of you in our military service, do me a favor and wear you mess dress or similar dress while on cruise. It will give me the opportunity to seek you out, to buy you a drink and most importantly, swap those sea stories that just get better as the years go by.

CaptainR

My son is a Marine and has his Dress Blues Uniform; he's very proud of it :) and so are we ... it's very formal and he would like to wear it on Formal nights. Has anyone else ever worn their military uniform or saw others do this? ps we'll be on the RCCL Mariner; first cruise!

Yes, do it. Many have done it. Your son will be thanked by many many people. A lot of us Marines from past generations that see him will go up to him and shake his hand a give him a heartfelt Semper Fi. God Bless him and thank him for my family for his service to God, Country and Corps.:D

Archived