Panama tours Any suggestions

ggg

What type of seats are in the wood canoes on the way to the native villages? I am trying to decide how difficult this will be for my back.

These are primative boats, hand hewn from big trees, about 20 people to a boat, two-abreast . . . so "canoe" may give you the wrong idea. The seats are low, wood seats. No back or anything, primative. I find it harder on my knees than my back. But IMHO it's worth the discomfort. The experience is unique, and once you are on the lake/river it is quite beautiful.

Good morning Richard

I hope you don't find this a stupid question. When we visit Anne's village, is it safe to eat the meal which is served. I'm sure everything is very fresh, but I feel it best to inquire

The tour operator generally provides a "light lunch" . . . very light . . . of two slices of bread, a slice of American cheese, and a slice of ham, with your choice (!!) of mustard or mayo and a cup of soda. The village provides a little dish, hand made for you in the traditional style out of a banana leaf with a sample of freshly caught, fried tilapia, and plaintains (a banana-like fruit that's fried) and then fresh watermellon and pineapple like you will never find at home! It's fine to eat and part of the fun.

More at http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/authentic-embera-indian-village-tour/ and if you are thinking of taking this tour you will find this episode of "Exiled" to be very interestin http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/exiled-to-embera-puru-village/ "Exiled" is an MTV show (and I know everyone on Cruise Critic spends a lot of time on MTV!) about a spoiled rich girl who is dropped down in an Indigenous village somewhere in the world. This kid is REALLY spoiled, and they drop her into the Embera village to learn to become a real "Embera woman."

Enjoy! REgards, Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I have been in contact with Anne Gordon and she can do the tour with us but she said she can only pick us up at colon 2000. Said there are 3 piers there and that is the only one she has access too. We are on the Carnival Freedom and think it ports there but not for sure. I don't want to pay a deposit if we can't go on the tour. Do you know where the freedom ports in Colon?

Thanks

I have been in contact with Anne Gordon and she can do the tour with us but she said she can only pick us up at colon 2000. Said there are 3 piers there and that is the only one she has access too. We are on the Carnival Freedom and think it ports there but not for sure. I don't want to pay a deposit if we can't go on the tour. Do you know where the freedom ports in Colon?

Thanks

I was on the Freedom in late September and we docked at Colon 2000.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Richard,

Six of us will be on the Zuiderdam on March 3, 2010. Do you know if the Embera excursion will be going to the real village or the demo village? Also, can you recommend an excursion in Costa Rica. Thanks, WMRJ

You will see monkeys and other animals, you go to this guys houseboat for lunch, your kids can jump off the second floor into the lake . . . maybe get eaten by cayman and save you a lot of college money. Either one would give them a lot to talk about when they get home.

HeeHeeHEE!!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I am thinking of taking the Greenway Zipline tour (http://www.shore-excursion.com/index.php) in Limon off the Carnival Miracle on March 8, 2010. Anyone have any experience with this operator....or want to join me?

Thanks in advance for any information.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm on a different ship (Elation) at a different time. I have no information on the operator. I looked at the web site and it looked good (a little expensive -- but you are getting more than just a zip line experience). Their web page is quite professional, full of pictures and has a video.

I've been on several 'canopy zip tours', my best decended 600-700 feet with 13 stations. It's lots of fun.

The equipment used in the stills and the video look more modern and I am sure that safety and equipment is improving each year as the experience becomes more popular. Don't miss it.

Zippity Do Da .........

Archived