Cruise food article in today's Money News... No midnight buffet, anymore???

rosie40

There was no midnight buffet on the Voyager last week. Day 4 had a poolside buffet from 11-midnight, but the old "Gala Buffet" was not done. Those were always fun, but I can't say that we missed it terribly. There were probably a few more ice carvings and decorative displays at various events throughout the week than we used to see, rather than having one elaborate display for the buffet.

This will keep me from cruising in the future on RCI if there is not something else offered. Right now there are not many cruises after April 15, 2009 so have to wait awhile before I can cancel and book something else.

It was too late to cancel the Monarch cruise without penalty, my wifes parents are going in June on the Independence, and she said no way on canceling that one since they are set on going.

The next RCI cruises are late April 2009 and June 2009. There are not many cruises listed for that time yet.

They stopped the midnight buffets on the Explorer after the Xmas cruise ended. I do not know about other ships but I've been on the Ex. taking pictures and it's always been PACKED with people that were eating. We always have late seating and it's true that we are too full to eat at the buffet at midnight but there are hundreds of people that did enjoy it. I agree, it's just another cutback.

They stopped the midnight buffets on the Explorer after the Xmas cruise ended. I do not know about other ships but I've been on the Ex. taking pictures and it's always been PACKED with people that were eating. We always have late seating and it's true that we are too full to eat at the buffet at midnight but there are hundreds of people that did enjoy it. I agree, it's just another cutback.

Excellent post. I was starting to think that I was having memory problems regarding how many people attended. Thank you, I did remember right.

Excellent post. I was starting to think that I was having memory problems regarding how many people attended. Thank you, I did remember right.

Nothing wrong with your memory, it's the truth and on a Voyager Class ship it doesn't take long for that amount of people to clean out that buffet fast so I do not know where all the waste is as there wasn't any on the EX!

RCCL announced months ago to investors how they were going to roll out this new healthy lifestyle program in 2008. We'll all be eating rabbit food at this rate! LOL:D

Nothing wrong with your memory, it's the truth and on a Voyager Class ship it doesn't take long for that amount of people to clean out that buffet fast so I do not know where all the waste is as there wasn't any on the EX!

RCCL announced months ago to investors how they were going to roll out this new healthy lifestyle program in 2008. We'll all be eating rabbit food at this rate! LOL:D

Aqua: we were on the Explorer for Thanxg.... we had the buffet on the pool deck for Caribbean night - nice... then the Choc Buffet a couple of nights before the cruise ended --- are you saying that both are now NO go? then they would serve snax around 11 pm at certain areas- well, I am always so full anyway after our 2nd seating dinner so I hardly eat during midnight nor do I look for these buffets anyway - just curious... thanx you, Corkey

There certainly does seem to be a lot of "cut-backs" going on lately.

That, with the popularity of all the new "dining options" leads me to believe that eventually we'll all be paying for our meals als carte.:-(

Anyone else had this thought?

No King crab legs on AK cruises either...I've only seen crab legs on Princess and Disney.

Patrick:

I am going to AK in May - Serenade -- where do you think the best Salmon Bake is? it's been ages since we have gone to one - Juneau is where we went once - thanx... Corkey

"Those looking to get moving on Royal Caribbean ships can consult virtual trainer kiosks and self-guided running maps for land excursions. One class takes passengers on a tour of the ship's eateries, with pointers on the healthiest choices."

The article appeared in our local newspaper as well. Midnight buffets are not our "thing", but the trainer kiosk and running maps caught my eye. I was going to contact Royal Caribbean, but asking here might give a more accurate answer.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Noreen.

to roll out this new healthy lifestyle program in 2008. We'll all be eating rabbit food at this rate! LOL:D

Hmmm......I knew I've been cruising too often. I've been enjoying that rabbit food. My ears and teeth are getting pretty long. Good thing I'm too old to have babies. :o

Archived