Flooded with special offers...

lysolqn

I usually get several e-mails a week from the cruise lines we frequent but in the last six weeks or so, there's been a noticeable increase in the volume of that mail (not necessarily from X!). In fact, I'd say it's greater than it's ever been; it's reached the point where I'm getting three and four different "special offers" a week from some lines. Has anyone else noticed the same thing? There seems to be more of an in-your-face marketing blitz, perhaps because this is the time of year people begin to plan for summer vacations, but I'm beginning to wonder if the cruise industry as a whole, isn't noticing a decline in reservations resulting in a fear that it's beginning to feel the effects of a sluggish economy. Of course, that might be bad news for the cruise lines, but good news for passengers who may begin to notice a decrease in fares.

Always happens this time of year. It's Wave season.

Agreed, but in all the years we've been getting e-mail from cruise lines, it seems especially heavy now. Anyway, as a travel agent, are you noticing more, fewer or about the same number of cruise reservations as in recent years?

Thanks!

We see the specials and can't help but book. :D

This is slightly off topic, but what do y'all think about the following item - up for bid - on eBay?

It's for charity and people are bidding on it!

The seller says 2 for 1 Celebrity cruise, based on published prices. Well, we know that published prices from a brochure have always been more, so I was thinking this is really NOT a good deal. It is due to end in an hour. I saw it last night, and JUST out of curiosity, I wrote the seller a question. I booked a Solstice cruise yesterday, so knowing the bottom line cost, I used my cruise as an example. I AM NOT interested in buying from the seller. I love my TA! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-for-One-Cruise-Special-Travel-on-Celebrity_W0QQitemZ150215735557QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The following is my question and the answer I received this morning:

What would the pp rate be for the xx/xx/xx Solstice sailing in a Deluxe veranda category 2B?

Dear xxxxxx,

you can check on the cruise line website or brochure.

I agree that the solicitations are heavier than ever. They come via email & snail mail. This past week, I've gotten at least one everyday. Yesterday alone I received THREE from Holland America & 2 from Princess. emails also arrive daily. Oddly, I get the least from Celebrity.

I usually get several e-mails a week from the cruise lines we frequent but in the last six weeks or so, there's been a noticeable increase in the volume of that mail (not necessarily from X!). In fact, I'd say it's greater than it's ever been; it's reached the point where I'm getting three and four different "special offers" a week from some lines. Has anyone else noticed the same thing? There seems to be more of an in-your-face marketing blitz, perhaps because this is the time of year people begin to plan for summer vacations, but I'm beginning to wonder if the cruise industry as a whole, isn't noticing a decline in reservations resulting in a fear that it's beginning to feel the effects of a sluggish economy. Of course, that might be bad news for the cruise lines, but good news for passengers who may begin to notice a decrease in fares.

LOTS of offers, but not GREAT deals! :(

Getting same from Princess and Holland America again not any great deals that I have to have.

I'm not sure if it is heavier marketing than normal but we are certainly getting our share, particularly from Princess and HAL. Sometimes we're getting two from the same line on the same day. We've also received quarterly publications from RCI, Celebrity, and NCL during this same time period. It would be easy to theorize that it's due to the downturn in the economy but I don't see the proof yet, as in drastic price cuts. Also, some of the ads are for exotic or world cruises which probably aren't the type that an economic downturn would affect.

Agreed, but in all the years we've been getting e-mail from cruise lines, it seems especially heavy now. Anyway, as a travel agent, are you noticing more, fewer or about the same number of cruise reservations as in recent years?

Thanks!

I would say traffic is the same (phones and emails and walkins) as prior years.

Europe and Alaska a bit soft this year as compared to last year. Personally, my luxury business has been phenomenal but I've grown that business myself, booking by booking.

I would say traffic is the same (phones and emails and walkins) as prior years.

Europe and Alaska a bit soft this year as compared to last year. Personally, my luxury business has been phenomenal but I've grown that business myself, booking by booking.

Thanks...and continued good luck with your luxury business!

husband the other day. We are getting numerous cruise mailings by snail mail - I've never seen so many - the other day there were 5 of them. Must be the industry is expecting a down turn - as mentioned no great deals yet though.

husband the other day. We are getting numerous cruise mailings by snail mail - I've never seen so many - the other day there were 5 of them. Must be the industry is expecting a down turn - as mentioned no great deals yet though.

I have to agree that it appears the industry is trying to be pro-active in anticipation of a down turn. How good the deals will be remains to be seen. Meanwhile, my snail mailbox and inbox continue to be inundated with deals that really aren't deals at all.

I have to agree that it appears the industry is trying to be pro-active in anticipation of a down turn. How good the deals will be remains to be seen. Meanwhile, my snail mailbox and inbox continue to be inundated with deals that really aren't deals at all.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider to be a "good deal"?

Archived