Trans-Atlantic Birders?

New2cz

Any suggestions from birders who have done a trans-Atlantic before? Is it worth bringing my good binoculars, or should I just leave them home and take the cheap ones?

I would bring the good bins...who knows what sort of pelagic seabirds and marine mammals you might encounter? Since it is spring migration, you might even encounter some northbound migrants from either continent (we have had a variety of warblers and other songbirds land on our cruise ships during migration periods). I have yet to do a transatlantic crossing, but would enjoy hearing about your sightings.

• 1 year later...

Got a dozen or so on the TA, March 08 - mostly from the balcony in the Azores. Maybe 20 life birds on the land in Spain and France. Nice batch of dolphins in the Azores as we left the harbor. Take the good bins. (Oh, and they're cheaper in the States!)

• 2 weeks later...
Got a dozen or so on the TA, March 08 - mostly from the balcony in the Azores. Maybe 20 life birds on the land in Spain and France. Nice batch of dolphins in the Azores as we left the harbor. Take the good bins. (Oh, and they're cheaper in the States!)

Would love to see your TA list!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Any suggestions from birders who have done a trans-Atlantic before? Is it worth bringing my good binoculars, or should I just leave them home and take the cheap ones?

This info may be a moot point, as I see your original posting was 2008:

My last TA was April 2008 (Rio to Lisbon). I was most intrigued how the gannets were non-existent after crossing the equator into the northern hemisphere...it was almost as if they had a GPS that would indicate they were flying upside down if they crossed! :D While in the southern hemisphere, the gannets flew very closely to the ship and were many in number.

I saw some Risso's dolphins (very prevalent in the northern hemisphere, off the coast of souther California, USA), but I was pleasantly surprised to see a large pod in the Atlantic (mid-way, I believe b'n Rio & The Gambia).

Hope you were able to see much marine fauna during your TA. During the 'round the Horn cruise I took 10 yrs ago, I couldn't believe the # of species of albatross & the Commerson's dolphins!

In the Indian Ocean (near Sri Lanka, east coast), I saw many blue whales. I almost was bored w all the flying fish (almost, the operative word!). Virtually no birds, however, there were many hawksbill sea turtles coming for a bite of discarded food (not from me).

Many tropic/frigate birds in the southern hemisphere, but I only saw birds (less the gannets & albatross) when we were littoral (near a coast line).

I did see a periscope of a sub in the Indian Ocean...that was probably the most "unique" fauna I've seen to date!

P.S. Swan Minerva provided pax some low-mag binoculars when we sailed past Nicobar Island (in the Indian Andaman Islands). It was a sail-around, and no landings at this uninhabited island. However, this island is the only place in the world for the Nicobar Hornbill (approx. 250 birds). I watched & watched for hours & was finally rewarded w 2 birds in flight (though far away in the dense forests).

It was Dec 25, 2012...one of the best Christmases I've ever had! (To see such a rare bird!). :o

Nicobar Hornbill!!! Wow!! I saw several species of Hornbill on my all time favorite birding trip to Borneo a few years ago. I did take my good bins on the TA, but didn't see much of anything I was able to identify. I'm not that great at identification, especially of sea birds. Saw some sort of albatross. Also didn't see the fauna you did. BUT, on a private guided tour of Pompeii I saw a Hoopoe!! Our guide was quite put out & disgusted, as he was giving us statistics about the city, when I interrupted him to ask if he knew what the BIRD was I could see hopping around in the background! I actually remembered having seen photos of the bird before and later was able to check a guide to confirm. It was great.

New2cz,

That's terrific! My first hoopoe was in Sri Lanka -- if you've not been, Yala & Bundala are a birder's paradise! Saw Malabar Hornbills in Sri Lanka w a crested eagle. Wonderful! Haven't been to Borneo -- on my bucket list!

Archived