Kantishna shuttle

cruise junky joan

Has anyone taken the Denali Park shuttle bus all the way to Kantishna and was it worth the extra time? I am hesitating because the kantishna shuttle doesn't leave until 8:15 whereas the Wonderlake shuttle leaves at 6:15 and I feel as though we may have a better chance of seeing any wildlife if we leave earlier. Joan

Personally, I'd stick with Wonder Lake. I'd much rather leave 2 hours earlier than go the last 5 miles into the park. Wonder Lake still maximizes your chances to see wildlife and the mountain, and the earlier departure gives you a chance to get out and walk / hike a bit.

Patrick: Thanks. I have in fact gone ahead and booked the 7:15 Wonder Lake shuttle. I spoke to one of the rangers out at Denali this afternoon (isn't modern technology great) and he seemed to think that there really wasn't all that much greater a chance of seeing the animals on the earlier shuttles vs. the later one. My family is going to grown enough as it is when I tell them we have to be at the park by 7:15. Joan

Patrick: Thanks. I have in fact gone ahead and booked the 7:15 Wonder Lake shuttle. I spoke to one of the rangers out at Denali this afternoon (isn't modern technology great) and he seemed to think that there really wasn't all that much greater a chance of seeing the animals on the earlier shuttles vs. the later one. My family is going to grown enough as it is when I tell them we have to be at the park by 7:15. Joan

Hi Joan - That makes sense. I've seen folks argue that earlier is better for wildlife, but who really knows? :rolleyes: I guess a ranger would if anyone. It's great you could get a hold of them. I think we all agree that distance is the key, and the 5 miles between Wonder Lake and Kantishna won't impact your experience one way or another.

Actually, weather rather than time of day makes a big difference. On hot, sunny days the big animals are usually bedded down somewhere cool by mid-morning and stay there until early evening. On cool, cloudy days they tend to stay active all day. Exceptions are when the bugs are bad, when animals tend to frequent snow patches and river beds.

Well let me see if i have this straight: If it's cold and overcast, I'm guessing rain, then we'll have a good chance of seeing some wildlife but we'll be fairly miserable. If it's sunny and warm the bugs will drive us crazy and the animals will all be down by the river too far away to see or equally far away on a snow patch. I think I'll just keep this little piece of information to myself. joan

Archived