I live in Michigan - Any closeby Cruises?

WillandStacey

I live in Michigan and HATE to fly, am interested in going on a cruise and was wondering are there any of the commercial lines that service this midwest area (if not I wonder why?).

I am always down in Chicago or over into Canada across the Detroit border, the closest I have seen are cruises out of NCL and Philly, thats a bit of a drive but its possible, I am just miserable on plane rides tho (6'6' 375lbs) not to mention every flight I have taken I ended up with a sinus problem as well.

Just looking for some ideas or alternatives within driving distance of MI, if there are any, i wish we had stuff locally I could go jump on a 3 nighter every other month for, but I guess maybe thats good too that I can't (on the pocketbook) hehe.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Bill :)

Err.....'Ya gotta have water to have a ship.

Look at your map and see where the nearest deep water is.

New York, Boston, Philadelphia occassionally, Montreal......

You might look into the Majestic America cruises on the river!

If you are always down in Chicago, take the Amtrak wherever you want to go.

We were on the Amtrak a couple weeks ago and met 3 couples going on a cruise in Miami. Going out of Ft. Lauderdale is more convenient, tho'.

MaryAnn

Try goggling "great lakes cruises" and "Mississippi cruises", although the later would probably involve a significant drive.

There are a number of companies that offer cruising on the great lakes. If I recall correctly there are also cruises available on several major canals and rivers. The experience may be quite different from a Caribbean cruise.

Have you considered using Amtrak?

I checked into the Great Lakes Cruises a few years ago. They charter a wide variety of small ships, the largest of which I think carried 400 people, that ran between Toronto and Chicago on various itineraries. It was ridiculously expensive.

I'm also along the same size range as the OP, and don't find flying particularly comfortable, but I just look at what I'm getting for my 3 hours in the plane. It's been years since I've been on a train, so I can't recall how much more spacious their seats are compared to a plane, but it certainly is an option.

To me, the answer is to work on your fear of flying. Then your opportunities for travel/cruising are endless! I live in Michigan, too, and I want to get out of the cold as fast as possible via air to anyplace warm and sunny! Bon voyage to all! Three days left til my Caribbean Princess cruise!

If you are looking for the large ships (Princess, RCCL, NCL, Carnival, etc.) you are not going to find them on Lake Michigan.

You are going to have to get to the East or Gulf coast for them.

The other choice is river cruises. I know the go up to Cinncinnati.

Either try google or a TA.

Just a note: I, too, have horrible sinus problems and ear problems when flying. I started taking Sudafed before the flight, and continue throughout--(not the 12 hour stuff, but the red 4hour pills). On an Hawaiian trip, the doctor gave me some kind of cortisone nasal spray to use 1 week prior to flying. Man, did that help! I couldn't have done a 10 hour flight without it!

Now, what to do with those long legs????

I don't know much about them, but how about the Great Lakes Cruise Company (www.greatlakescruising.com). They run cruises that leave from Chicago and cruise the Great Lakes as well as New England. I bet they probably have some that leave from the Detroit are as well. Check out their web site.

I would absolutely love to take a back-to-back cruise on this line...starting September 12, 2009 right here in northern MN and ending on the 29th in Gloucester, MA...this itinerary would include some great whale watching in the Saugany river as well:)

Thanks for the replies, I did go thru chicago and took amtrak down to new orleans for a RC cruise, the train was much better than the plane but it took like 26 hrs each way ughhh..

Will be looking into stuff that leaves port by boston, philly, NY not even so big on where we go just going to have fun.

Just thought with lake MI right there i might be missing something on a major boat out of grand rapids or chicago etc, have seen the smaller ones out of chicago prices are too much for me but i am sure they are great cruises...

• Administrators
Thanks for the replies, I did go thru chicago and took amtrak down to new orleans for a RC cruise, the train was much better than the plane but it took like 26 hrs each way ughhh..

Will be looking into stuff that leaves port by boston, philly, NY not even so big on where we go just going to have fun.

Just thought with lake MI right there i might be missing something on a major boat out of grand rapids or chicago etc, have seen the smaller ones out of chicago prices are too much for me but i am sure they are great cruises...

Hi, Bill,

I thought when I read your original post that this wasn't a one-shot "who's buried in Grant's Tomb?" question... glad to know I was right. I think the bottom line is that for a true "cruise ship" passenger liner experience, you are going to have to travel. In fact, other than a point about 300 - 500 miles west of Chicago, you just about couldn't be more equidistant from the major cruise ports. Sorry that's not what you had in mind, and equally sorry about your dislike of airplanes, which I share. Sometimes you have to just grin and bear it. You might consider getting a little anti-anxiety pharmaceutical help from your local MD for the airplane ride, as I do. It's the only time I take them (they're highly addictive) but it really does help me tolerate a plane trip and really enjoy vacations.

I know HAL does New England/Canada trips out of Montreal south, but then you'd still have to take a train or fly back from New York/Boston.

If you have lots of money and time, you could take the train across Canada, then do a round trip cruise to Alaska and take the train back across Canada.

I'm originally from Flint, so I'm familiar with MI. I don't see a really good solution for you. Sorry!

I'm also from Michigan and have been on 14 cruises. The closest one we've been on went out of Fort Lauderdale. Flying isn't a lot of fun, but if you go out of Florida, the trip is pretty short.

We have friends in Grand Ledge (west of Lansing) and the wife does not like to fly. They have been on several cruises but only out of Florida. They drive to Florida every time they want to cruise.

We've also gone out of San Juan, LA, Ensenada, Acapulco, Tahiti, and next year, Auckland, NZ, so if you really want to cruise from Michigan, it's best to work on your disagreement with flying.

Check with Midwest Airlines. They really don't have a first class section, only one with upgraded seating. The seating is half again the size of economy and costs only $65 additional.

I also live in White Lake MI!!! You might want to look into cruises for Canada/New England. We went a few years ago and it was great. My husband is 6'6" and we just make sure we get Exit Row seats or a seat on the isle and he then has lots of leg room.

Archived