If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

We just got back today from our Conquest cruise and wanted to vent/inform a little bit about something that is happening at the cruise terminal in Montego Bay, namely groping of the male passengers by the local port authorities.

I have been on many cruises (both Navy & cruiseline) and have had port calls to more than 40 countries and I have never been treated more disgustingly in a port than this last cruise when we stopped in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

After spending the day spending money in this port I (and almost every other male passenger returning to the ship) were separated from the women passengers and forced to go through a "pat down" search by the local authorities where the "frisker" actually grabbed our penises and testicles through our clothes and squeezed them.

I should mention that all I (we) were doing was returning to the ship. We had not done anything "wrong". We were not drunk/stoned or even loud.

The more I think about this the more flabbergasted I become and the madder I get at Carnival for taking me to a port where I was treated so shabbily. For the life of me I do not understand why Carnival allowed us to be treated that way without some protest on their part but they did not even have anyone present in the terminal to oversee their passengers being fondled.

Oh, I should also mention, to add insult to injury, the "searches" were filmed by some British television crew doing a documentary on how Jamaica treats tourists.

Can someone tell me why Carnival is still sailing to this port and/or why anyone would book a cruise that includes Jamaica as a port call if the local authorities treat cruise ship passengers like this?

Wow........was there any talk on the ship after you boarded by other passengers or crew about this? I would be upset also at this kind of treatment. If this has been happening you would think the CD might give passengers an advance notice it was going to happen.

You have my sympathy and it's a wonder someone with less self-control than you didn't turn this incident into a crisis. We've never been to Mo' Bay, but were in Ocho Rios on MOS in 2006. Quite frankly, I have never, ever experienced such inhospitality in a "tourist" destination. As beautiful as Jamiaca is, those people are flat-out scary. I find it unfathomable that anybody ever goes there more than once. I'd be surprised if the cruise lines aren't well aware of many of the hazards their passengers face but until people vote with the dollar, what difference does it make to them?

Happy Sails,

Annette

I am also not a Jamaica fan, and have been subjected to "The search" in montego bay, I will say that it was a simple pat down, and nothing in particular:rolleyes: was squeezed intentionally.

To me montego bay is a beautiful place that has been ruined by the people.... They are rude, unfriendly, and yes the drug problem is HUGE, thus the need for the search.

Why do the cruise lines go there?? It is because the majority of the Passengers want to go there, until they've been there.....

I hate that you had to experience that!!! I went to Ocho Rios in January and nothing like that happened!! Although that port really intimidated me. My boyfriend and I are going on the Conquest in Nov. which is set to go to MO Bay and now I might reconsider getting off the ship. I hate to hear what the women went through:confused:

After having been to Ocho Rios, I would certainly book a cruise that stops in Jamaica, but only if the other ports of call were worth enduring this one stop, and with that I would just stay on the ship.

Crime is not just isolated to Jamaica, it is a problem in many other areas of the Caribbean, including St. Thomas, and especially St. Martin/Maarten. However, nowhere have I witnessed such openly hostile behavior, as in Jamaica. The Jamaican Tourist Board can play the commercials, print the ads, etc.. all day, but that does not change the fundamental poverty driven survival instinct of the locals. Until the root cause of the issue is addressed, the ads and commercials will, at best, merely offset the loss of those who swear off Jamaica.

<Posting has been a bear. Sorry if this is duplicate>

I too am send my sympathies that you and everyone had to go through this. Didn't Carnival warn you in any of the shopping or excursions talks?? John Heald's blog talked about this during his Blogger's Cruise earlier this month...

I will be cruising on Conquest in Sept. Are the women more respected? Were they subjected to this kind of search?

I hate that you had to experience that!!! I went to Ocho Rios in January and nothing like that happened!! Although that port really intimidated me. My boyfriend and I are going on the Conquest in Nov. which is set to go to MO Bay and now I might reconsider getting off the ship. I hate to hear what the women went through:confused:

This isn't a problem in Ocho Rios, this only happens in Montego bay inside the Terminal Building when going back toward the ship.

With that being said also, this creates a HUGE line in the afternoon when people are coming back to the ship at the same time.

I know the feeling!! On our December cruise we had a large female guard of all things and she grabbed right onto it. I thought maybe I was in the wrong line and was suppose to cough. She did the same to everyone in our group.

I don't know about all the female passenger's in the other line but my wife has a large chest. When she was frisked the officer pushed on the side of her breasts then in the middle to make sure she did not have anything illegal. At least it was a female who did this to her I don't think I would of appreciated a male doing this.

We were in M-Bay last year. I recall reading abt groping on the boards then. Tonight I asked hubby & DS if they were....

Hubby said yes.

DS (17 y/o then ) No (thank goodness)---DS said they were checking for drugs.

Do I like it.. of course not.

Did hubby care? No ...(didn't even look up from watching the Oscars... so I guess not.)

I don't mean this to sound like it's not a big deal (I think it is) but sometimes knowing it's going to happen, it's not a big deal, not knowing it's going to happen, what a shock.

Another reason CC is a great informationial source; You get a pre warnings.

(Putting on my flame resistant clothing)

I have a different view point of Jamaica. I have been to the island over 10 times from age 18- 32. I have a deep love for the island and it's people. Admittedly Montego Bay (or Mo'Bay) is a rough tourist spot (the closer you get to Kingston, the rougher it is. I tend to stick to Ocho Rios, St Anne and Negril). I have heard many compalints and some are valid. The pat downs, while uncomfortable and often seemingly intrusive are done because many tourists get off the boat and look for drugs and hide them in any place they can (hence the 'squeezing and patting of parts). Drugs are a HUGE problem in Jamaica and getting worse and it is no longer limited to marajuana either.

Some islanders are aggressive, but then so are some Americans, Brits and pretty much people in every culture...it happens. You need to understand the deep poverty that is rampant in JA, and how it is for them to see rich tourists come to the island. You might say "well if we are spending our money they should be nicer" I had the great fortune of meeting a man named Sebi on my last trip, who said, "imagine your family is hungry, without clean clothes and living in awful conditions then rich people invade your island". A small amount of the island population sees any jobs or money from the tourist industry as most of the profit goes to the large corporations running the hotels, resteraunts and even gift shops are becoming corporate (squeezing out the independently owned shops). It is a love-hate mentality and I would be hard pressed to say I wouldn't feel the same if in there position.

People expect to step off a ship and it be as safe as their back yard and that simply is not going to happen..anywhere. I lived in Europe for 2 years and even in London and Dublin, we were always on guard for bombings on the Tube. If you go as a prepared and well informed traveler, you will have a much better time. Jamaica is a beautiful island with a rich culture and generous and kind people. Just be wary of where you go, who you go with and be cautious - as you would traveling anywhere in the US or abroad.

Happy travels to you all and I hope some may give JA another chance!

My questions are:

1. Was this area marked in some way with signs saying "if you enter this area you realize you may be filmed, and are giving permission to be filmed."

2. Was there another way you could have gone to avoid the cameras?

3. Did you report this behavior to any official on the ship?

4. Are you going to inform Carnival of the behavior through a letter or email to Carnival Execs.?

This is NOT something I would let go. I would get to the bottom of this no matter how high I had to go. This is BS!

As far as the women are concerned, I am assuming they did not go through the same treatment or you would have mentioned it. But if the men are going through it, that's is bad enough!

I agree, and I actually enjoyed Ocho Rio, If the passengers are required to go through this kind of harrassent just to get back on the ship, then the ship has no business being there. The lines have stopped going to places because they could not make sure the passengers were going to be safe, Well in my opinion, if Jamacia has become such a place that the "authorities" have to become abusive to the male passengers, then the place is no longer safe for passengers to be there. That just assures me that the "authorities" are admitting that Jamica is a drug infested pit, and because of that we have to be abused. What is the difference if a person gets groped on the street, or in the name of "the law". Abused is abused, no matter who the abuser is!

AND thats not even to mention that you were filmed without permission, or signing a release! I wonder now if THAT's in the Carnival contract.

I really hope you take this to hell and back to get something done about this.

I have a different view point of Jamaica. I have been to the island over 10 times from age 18- 32. I have a deep love for the island and it's people. Admittedly Montego Bay (or Mo'Bay) is a rough tourist spot (the closer you get to Kingston, the rougher it is. I tend to stick to Ocho Rios, St Anne and Negril). I have heard many compalints and some are valid. The pat downs, while uncomfortable and often seemingly intrusive are done because many tourists get off the boat and look for drugs and hide them in any place they can (hence the 'squeezing and patting of parts). Drugs are a HUGE problem in Jamaica and getting worse and it is no longer limited to marajuana either.

Some islanders are aggressive, but then so are some Americans, Brits and pretty much people in every culture...it happens. You need to understand the deep poverty that is rampant in JA, and how it is for them to see rich tourists come to the island. You might say "well if we are spending our money they should be nicer" I had the great fortune of meeting a man named Sebi on my last trip, who said, "imagine your family is hungry, without clean clothes and living in awful conditions then rich people invade your island". A small amount of the island population sees any jobs or money from the tourist industry as most of the profit goes to the large corporations running the hotels, resteraunts and even gift shops are becoming corporate (squeezing out the independently owned shops). It is a love-hate mentality and I would be hard pressed to say I wouldn't feel the same if in there position.

People expect to step off a ship and it be as safe as their back yard and that simply is not going to happen..anywhere. I lived in Europe for 2 years and even in London and Dublin, we were always on guard for bombings on the Tube. If you go as a prepared and well informed traveler, you will have a much better time. Jamaica is a beautiful island with a rich culture and generous and kind people. Just be wary of where you go, who you go with and be cautious - as you would traveling anywhere in the US or abroad.

I am trying not be disrespectful. This is NOT a flame. You have your opinion, and I have mine. But are you kidding me? I understand these people are poor. I understand that to them we are "rich". But I am sorry, that does not give them the right to be abusive to passengers getting back on the ship. If this place is so drug infested, (as you admit) then we shouldn't be going there! If the people Hate the fact that we are "invading their Island", then we shouldn't be going there! If the money the ships and the passengers bring into the area, corporate or not, is not wanted or appreciated, then we should not be going there!

And if cruise lines can't make sure the passengers will be reasonably safe, ESPECIALLY with the authorities, then we should not be going there.

We just got back today from our Conquest cruise and wanted to vent/inform a little bit about something that is happening at the cruise terminal in Montego Bay, namely groping of the male passengers by the local port authorities.

I have been on many cruises (both Navy & cruiseline) and have had port calls to more than 40 countries and I have never been treated more disgustingly in a port than this last cruise when we stopped in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

After spending the day spending money in this port I (and almost every other male passenger returning to the ship) were separated from the women passengers and forced to go through a "pat down" search by the local authorities where the "frisker" actually grabbed our penises and testicles through our clothes and squeezed them.

I should mention that all I (we) were doing was returning to the ship. We had not done anything "wrong". We were not drunk/stoned or even loud.

The more I think about this the more flabbergasted I become and the madder I get at Carnival for taking me to a port where I was treated so shabbily. For the life of me I do not understand why Carnival allowed us to be treated that way without some protest on their part but they did not even have anyone present in the terminal to oversee their passengers being fondled.

Oh, I should also mention, to add insult to injury, the "searches" were filmed by some British television crew doing a documentary on how Jamaica treats tourists.

Can someone tell me why Carnival is still sailing to this port and/or why anyone would book a cruise that includes Jamaica as a port call if the local authorities treat cruise ship passengers like this?

This exact thing happened to my husband and several other men we were with when we coming back on the ship in Montego Bay on our Conquest cruise. The security woman pushed me to the side and went after my husband. I could of been smuggling pounds of drugs but she had absolutely no interest in me. The men compared notes after we got back on board they all got the same treatment as you described. Also one of my husbands co workers went on this same cruise after us and reported the same experience. His wife was so upset she was going to write a complaint to the tourist board in Jamaica, we said good luck. This did not happen in Ocho Rios on other cruises. We would of complained but we doubted anyone would believe the story. Its pretty sickening that these security woman in Montego Bay get their jollies off of molesting tourists.

I have not seen this myself. I have never cruised to jamaica I have just been to the sandals resort. I am cruising to jamaica in september. This does surprise me though, the people in the airport were not the friendliest but on the resort they were the nicest people I had ever met. Maybe just because it was the resort?? Some locals would come up to the beach and as long as they stayed in the water they would not be bothered by security. They would try to push people into buying shells and such and even drugs which was annoying at times but a simple no thank you would usually do. Besides that Jamaica was the most beautiful place I had ever been. I am hoping our cruise visit to ocho rios will be a good one. If anyone has been there lately i would love to hear about it.

I am trying not be disrespectful. This is NOT a flame. You have your opinion, and I have mine. But are you kidding me? I understand these people are poor. I understand that to them we are "rich". But I am sorry, that does not give them the right to be abusive to passengers getting back on the ship. If this place is so drug infested, (as you admit) then we shouldn't be going there! If the people Hate the fact that we are "invading their Island", then we shouldn't be going there! If the money the ships and the passengers bring into the area, corporate or not, is not wanted or appreciated, then we should not be going there!

And if cruise lines can't make sure the passengers will be reasonably safe, ESPECIALLY with the authorities, then we should not be going there.

I never said that it gave them the right, I was just trying to expain what had been told to me was some islanders mentality. Not all islanders feel this way, I'm sure and the issue is that most of the islanders are not seeing the money brought in by tourists. Going to another country, heck walking out your front door, you take an assumable risk. I live in Atlanta and I wouldn't go around at night if you paid me. It just isn't safe.

So sorry you had to go through that. We have been to Mo Bay, it was a couple years ago. This did not happen to us , but we were escourted (marched) single file around the port building then into it under armed guards, why I have no idea, we were all in swimwear and light cover ups after a ships excursion snorkeling. The islanders we met were not very nice but rude . We were not pushy or loud or rude in any way. We will not book another cruise that stops in Jamaica, we will take another cruise that goes elsewhere. That is just our personal opinion , others may feel differently.

Cori

Wow! You cant be serious. I dont care how poor or hungry they are or how many drugs are in Montego Bay but to treat another human being like that is disgusting. That pat down wasnt uncomfortable it was humilating and disrespectful and there is absolutely no excuse in the world for it, especially in front of all the other passengers trying to get back on the ship. And this just be wary of where ya go, uhhhhh we were in a public port getting back on the ship not in some back alley. We had to go through this building to get back on the ship. And are they doing this to boys and teenagers? Thats child abuse. Seems to me Jamaica has more problems than poverty and drugs.

I've been to Jamaica (all over) lots of times and never been subject to groping, nor seen or heard of anyone. Never seen a film crew there.

Last time I was on the Conquest (Nov 2007) was no exception.

That there was a film crew there tells me something special was going on.

I do know that tons of cocaine are funneled through Jamaica for, guess where, the United States. Perhaps if America wasn't so addicted to drugs, Jamaica would have fewer issues.

In any event, I will continue to visit Jamaica, including MoBay, in the future. No problem, mon.

Archived