Worth getting off the ship in Cabo?

robinru11

We will be in Cabo on the Golden Princess in Mid-March. There has been a lot of information about our port times being fairly short - 8-2. Feedback has been that the lines are so long to tender back that you need to line up by 12:30. Is it worth getting off the ship? Some have said they really enjoyed having the pools on the ship to themselves!

If we do get off, any recommendations on what we should do to get the most out of our time there?

Yes! Yes! Yes! Cabo was our favorite stop on our first MR cruise. Even though the time is short, it is worth it. We went over to the docks where you can hire a glass bottom boat to take you out among the famous rocks. Do this! The boat is nothing more than a flat bottom aluminum boat with a glass area that you can see the fish through but it was fun - and cheap! The ride out to the rocks was great - beautiful! This is the only way to see them up close - by taking a boat, obviously. Then we just walked around town and stopped for something to eat. The people were all very friendly and the town seemed much cleaner than other stops. I'm not sure why the ships' times in this port are so short, but it's a shame. It's a great stop!

Honestly, yes it was a bit choppy since there are lots of boats coming/going in that area. If someone is in a wheelchair, it would be very difficult to get in the boat, in my opinion. The dock is just a short walk from where you tender into so you could always just go over there and check it out and then decide. It's just around to your left from where you get off of the tender boat.

Oh this is the whole reason my DH had me book this cruise.

You need to find Househunter. She sent me a great email about a lot of things to do in Cabo.

Is March still whale season? I think it is the end of the season. You could always do a whale excursion there.

We are going to get off the ship see the rock formations and then go out and about in Cabo.

Thanks a bunch for the info...Is the boat ride really rough? (choppy) - also, one of our passengers has some mobility issues. Is the boat easy to board? Thanks so much for your time!

In October we took my 82 year old mother-in-law on her first cruise on Carnival Elation. She suffered a stroke in 2000 and has grown from using a wheel chair to a walker, to a cane (for balance). For the cruise we brought the wheel chair mostly because of the walking distances on the ship. We did get off the ship in Cabo. Was it a challenge for her and us, of course. With the help of the Carnival crew as well as the tender crew, we got her up and down the stairs with a minimum of trouble. Was she tired, yes. Was she happy to have experienced Cabo with us, definitely yes.

So it can be done.

In October we took my 82 year old mother-in-law on her first cruise on Carnival Elation. She suffered a stroke in 2000 and has grown from using a wheel chair to a walker, to a cane (for balance). For the cruise we brought the wheel chair mostly because of the walking distances on the ship. We did get off the ship in Cabo. Was it a challenge for her and us, of course. With the help of the Carnival crew as well as the tender crew, we got her up and down the stairs with a minimum of trouble. Was she tired, yes. Was she happy to have experienced Cabo with us, definitely yes.

So it can be done.

Good for you and your mother!!!:)

Take into consideration that you have to ride a tender to get ashore. Perhaps seniors with disabilities will get moved to the front of the line, but even so it subtracts from your shore time. Then the tender ties up at a pier that is a bit of a hike from town, though closer at hand you can stop and shop with shlock jockeys (mostly mass-produced "souvenirs" and some actual white elephants, last time I was there). The people offering boat rides, parasailing, tours, etc., are right on the pier if you're willing to try them out.

Cabo is our favorite port, too. When we were there 2 years ago, you couldn't help but notice how built up the tender dock area was. Used to be where the fishing charter's were. They've actually got some stores right where you get off now, too. Someone above said you walk to your left but when you get up off of the tender dock, you have to go to the right to get to the marina or town. Souvenir shopping here is very fun. You can really barter with the shop owners. The whole marina/plaza area is nice, also. Many places to eat, sit and relax. I would suggest taking a cab over to the restaurants on the beach. We love 'The Office', which has been there for many years. You actually sit at tables in the sand. From there you can eat wonderful food (you can google The Office and check it out) watch the whole bay, with your ship in the background. You can see the arch and Lover's Beach, too. The water is heavenly if you feel like testing it out!

I agree with everyone- Cabo is wonderful. We did a land vacation there several years back and it's fantastic. If you're concerned about time and lines at the tender, perhaps it would be best to book a tour throught he ship. My dh is playing golf (something he has wanted to do since we were there) and we booked that and my tour through Princess. This is not something we usually do, but we figured that since the time is so short, we'd rather be safe than sorry.

Whatever you do, though, get off and wander around. The Office restaurant is great, as is a place by the dock called Margaritavilla (hope it's still there!)

Margaritavilla has been closed for "remodeling" for almost 2 years! Not sure if they are ever going to re-open but I thought it was very overpriced and the service was horrible both times we were there. I hope they open something else in that spst as it is in a great location.

Margaritavilla has been closed for "remodeling" for almost 2 years! Not sure if they are ever going to re-open but I thought it was very overpriced and the service was horrible both times we were there. I hope they open something else in that spst as it is in a great location.

Sandy, you know I am more interested in local hang out joints. I think you get a more authenic experience when you go local. Plus the prices are better!!

• 3 weeks later...

YES!!! We had a blast in Cabo. While it is the more expensive of the ports on this cruise, its a lot of fun....we just walked around and went bar hopping but had sooo much fun. There are some great things to find in small shops around the port...wood, tile, etc...

not sure what to do--should we go thru the ship, which is a tender then a boat to other areas & expensive, or just get a cab if it can take us to the beach areas. Chileno and Lovers are the 2 we are thinking about for snorkeling. We have our own eupiment.

My BFF and I were on the Golden Princess in November. We did Princess' "Sea Doo Power Snorkel" and had a blast! We boarded a zodiac(?) and they took us to the snorkel area. On the way we saw a couple whales come up a little, but we saw alot of stingray jumping! And I didn't know they jumped! It was too cool! The sea do power things were so much fun and easy to use. (I couldn't figure out how to dive, but others did.) We were the last ones back in the zodiac. On the way back they took us to see the Arch, sea lion colony, and tried to see a whale up close but we were too slow.

When we got back to the dock, it was 12:10 so we did not have time to see any of the town because people were already lining up for the tenders back to the ship. I'm on the Oosterdam next month and we have a little longer time in port so this time I'll be able to see some of the town.

Archived