How much cash to bring?

shmoggy

I can't decide how much cash to bring on my 7 day cruise. I know almost all of the tour operators want to be paid in cash, but what about food and shopping in ports? Can we use plastic at restaurants? Open Markets take credit? How about places like Coral World in St. Thomas or The Boatyard in Barbados? I just have this vision of carrying a giant wad of cash around and losing it all or the customs agent thinking I'm a drug smuggler or something!!

Can anyone share how much cash they brought and maybe how many were in your group or family?

I personally don't think it's wise to share how much one takes on a cruise over the internet, and your likes & dis-likes will determine what you spend.

I mean, do you like to drink or no? Gamble, or don't? If you don't drink or gamble, you're not gonna need much unless you're a shopaholic. Credit cards, not sure, we always use traveler's cheques, and cash them onboard

before going into port as we need them. This way for us there's no interest rate later with the bill. There's no errors not caught right off to deal with later. As far as the customs agent, you don't go through customs until the end of the cruise back in Florida, you go through immigration, and if you have your passport/i.d already out, they don't check your wallet. No one can really tell you how much to take, because it all depends on your spending habits that we have no clue about. Average yourself $100 per person per day is the guide I've gone by on here, and adjust up or down as you think you will spend, only you know the answer to that one.;)

Archived