Egypt & Eastern Med

We did the E. Med 12 nighter last Sept. It was my first time to

Europe and I'm in love. We stayed in Rome a few days precruise.

I can't even tell you which port was my favorite. It's probably a

three way tie between Rome, Naples, and Turkey. Rhodes was a

pleasant unexpected surprise. A nice port to just walk around. Oh, gosh, I forgot about Mykonos. I just loved the whole thing. We did

private tours in all the ports--even Alexandria. Let me know

if you have any questions.

In Sept. the weather was perfect and the seas were fine.

It's probably a

three way tie between Rome, Naples, and Turkey. Rhodes was a

pleasant unexpected surprise

I LOVED Rhodes! You are so right about that port!

Rome, Naples, Turkey, & the Greek Islands were great.

Regarding Egypt, we were suppose to dock at Port Said, but we couldn't due to political problems they were having a few years back, so we missed that port, but the rest of the cruise was wonderful. :)

we're thinking of the same intin. too

is there anything to do in the ports other than look at buildings, eat and museums?

can you share what you did in each port? did you write a CC review?

thnaks

I didn't write a review... I wrote a novel. I journaled my entire

trip with what we saw, who we used, and how much it cost. It

ended up being 31 pages long. If anyone cares to read it,let me

know and I'll forward it on to you.

Rhodes was my absolute favorite. Mykonos was good but Rhodes was wonderful. We took a bus up a "mountain" to a nice area, a little touristy for a lot to see. There was a neat little outdoor restaurant that had these wonderful vines growing on a trellis that shaded you, it must have cut the temperature by 15 degrees. It also overlooked the beautiful sea, such BEAUTIFUL ships. We sat there a had a snack and something cold to drink and just took in all the beauty. It was fabulous!

I have also been looking at this cruise. How is the Legend of the Seas? My only experience with this class of ship was the Vision which wasn't nearly as nice as either Radiance or Voyager class ships. It would be great to see another Radiance class ship in the Med.

Regarding Eastern Med:

(I know that Barry doesn't want to hear about looking at buildings, eating, or museums, but for others who are interested I'll post a couple of things).

Rhodes...You'll port at the walled city (old town). This is where the statue of Colossus of Rhodes stood at the port's entrance. It was one of the 7 wonders of the world at one time and then it fell into the sea.

Walk to the right and you'll find old streets with flowering vines growing overhead that shade you while you sit at cafes or browse the shops. There is a museum that's inside what appears to be a castle. We found the antiques very interesting and history very intresting.

The most spectacular site was the Panaghia of Lindos. The paintings and icons are unbelievable and I think would rival the Vatican's.

I'll try to scan and post some old pictures but I'm not sure if they'll turn out in detail.

I don't know if your particular itinerary goes to Limassol, Cyprus, but if so, we took a taxi to the first Greek Orthodox monestary.

It was high on a mountain and the views were amazing from that height.

Nearby, we visited the village of Lefkara, where Leonardo da Vinci went to buy handmade lace for an alter cloth. The ladies sit on the sidewalks and weave the lace by hand with many bobbins which hang from the woven lace.

Silversmiths sit inside little shops, and as you stroll past you can see them working on silver pieces through the open shutters.

If you go to the island of Crete, be sure to go to the Palance of Knossus where the Minataur legend began. You'll learn many legends here, especially regarding the lost continent of Atlantis.

Kusadasi, Turkey...Shopkeepers are very kind here. Once you get out of the port area you shouldn't be hounded to buy anything.

You can take a tour of Ephesus where the old city is carved into walls of sheer rock.

(I wore a straw hat and brought a shawl for my shoulders in all of the above areas. Many of the religious sites require your shoulders and head to be covered).

Naples....We paid an old gentleman who was sitting on a bench near the pier, and he took us all around the city and on a train up to the fort, where we were able to see the entire city plus Pompeii out in the distance, etc. If you go to Pompeii, it's difficult to walk there because of all the ruts and uneven stones. DH had knee surgery and we couldn't do that tour.

Capri is just across the bay and you can take a tour and go to the Blue Grotto.

We went to Isfrael & Palestine on this cruise as well, and we saw many interesting sights, but that's a whole other review.

Enough typing for this post. Hope you have fun if you visit any of the above islands. :)

love to read the review my eami is on the right side

but, my orig Q...is there anything to do in the ports other than look at buildings, eat and museums?

I can't understand why someone would travel that far with the expense involved and not want to see famous buildings, churches, museums,art, and best of all the food;) In any event, we did go to a lovely beach in Rhodes but that was only because I needed a day of rest from touring. What other "things" would you want to do on a Med cruise that does not involve the above? Just curious..

would love to see some of your photos of "med dogs" . for christmas this year, I received a book called "street dogs" the photographer went to poor countries and took photos and posted stories about the animals outcomes. Some inspiring and some very sad. Definitely a great coffee table book. Maybe you should consider:)

first of all.it's not that we don't want to see buildings, museums and eat local food..but I was just inquiring what else is there if anything.

everyone seemed quick to get the flame throwers out..good thing i had my Kevlar suit on:)

other things to do on a med cruise is the beach..relax, DW does the shopping , so its good there is plenty of that too....but a camel ride is nice..egypt i guess...

guess Med. is more of a walk around , hand holding, little eating type of cruise

anyway thanks for the info. CC always comes through with great info on helping where to cruise.

I didn't write a review... I wrote a novel. I journaled my entire

trip with what we saw, who we used, and how much it cost. It

ended up being 31 pages long. If anyone cares to read it,let me

know and I'll forward it on to you.

Hi Cat Girl,

My DH and I will be doing this cruise in July. I would love to read your "novel" if you would send it to me. I am so excited about this cruise, and have read every review that has been posted. My email address is Ladyvdr at aol dot com. Thanks so much. I can't wait to read about your adventure.

Lorraine

We were on the Star Princess this past November from Rome to Naples, Athens, Kusadasi, Istanbul, (missed Mykonos due to winds), and Egypt. It was a fabulous itinerary. Other than the night of high winds which caused us to miss Mykonos, the weather was mild and the sea was amazingly calm.

Yes, lots of ruins, great food, amazing museums. We were pleasantly surprised at Kusadasi, since we had never heard of it before. The excavations at Ephesus were our favorite of the entire trip. And Kusadasi is a delightful port - small enough to enjoy. Loved Istanbul - would go back in a heartbeat.

Food - buy some baklava in the shops at Kusadasi port - heavenly. If you go the the National Archeological Museum in Athens, there's a cafe right in front of the building; try some Greek coffee for a unique experience.

Archived