Hard Time Finding Dress

bartos

Our cruise is in 7 weeks, and I cannot find a dress that doesn't look aweful on me. Because of this I plan on when I do find a dress that I will wear it for both formal nights. My question is, do I have to buy a cocktail dress or is any dress okay? I'm really nervous that I won't find anything because when I go back to the stores, it's the same old, same old.

A cocktail dress or evening gown is appropriate for formal evenings. If the dress is one that you would wear to church or a PTA meeting, it is NOT formal!

Why do you feel they look "awful" on you? There are so many styles to choose from!

You may want to get some slinky evening pants (usually in black) and pair it with a sparkly evening top and heels. That would work for Formal night, too.

Go to a department store and start trying on EVERYTHING in the formal department! You don't have to get a "ball gown"--(They're hard to pack, anyway!) Things look better on the body! It's very hard to tell by just looking at something on the hanger!

I've tried on everything. I've taken people with me to get opinions. We don't have many options here - Macy's and JcPenny's is about it. I know when we went on the Disney cruise (twice) no one really dressed in formal gowns and I didn't see too many cocktail dresses on formal night. It seems silly to me to spend a fortune and wear something I'll never wear again. I was hoping a regular dress would be okay. We will be sitting w/our friends for dinner (no one else at our table). Does everyone wear a formal type dress?

I know what you mean about not finding a dress. I have one I really like from before but would like something new.

Where I live there are not alot of choices. I have tried on more than I care to count. Yes I have tried EVERYTHING!

On our last cruise on the Valor most everyone wore formal/cocktail type dresses but there were many that wore nice dresses with cute jewelry and shoes to dress them up alittle more. I say do what you feel comfortable in. IMO a cute dress looks nicer than pants.

Kelly

If I were you, I would go back to Penny's since it's prom season now...all the dresses are out!!

I bought three formal dresses there a couple of weeks ago for only $64!!! Two of them only cost me $10 each!!!!!

They are beautiful and simple dresses. I have a terrible time finding dresses that I like on my body (i have hips! :/ ) But I ended up with three, when I only need two, b/c I just couldn't decide.

Don't get discouraged and just keep at it. Before you try on a dress, tell yourself it will look great.

Oh! And another tip, when I have to go and try on clothes (I hate doing that btw) I spend some extra time getting ready so I look *extra* nice...that way, when I go in the store I'm already feeling good!

Good luck..and have fun with it!!

A lot of it depends on the the cruise line/ship you will be sailing on. Some lines are more 'dressier' than others on formal nights. Celebrity cruises tend to be much dressier than Norwegian for example although there is even variations there too. Also while some passengers dress "to the nine's" no matter what, you need to wear what you feel comfortable in! :D

I'd go with black evening pants and a great dressy top, or a "little black dress" (knee or calf length, simple lines, no collar, and sleeves that you are comfortable in) with a stunning necklace for "bling".

Have you tried ebay?

Why do you think everything looks awful?

Do you have a Marshals, TJMaxx or Ross in your area? These are great stores to find all kinds of different styles of dresses/gowns.

There were so many last weekend while shopping at Ross...I wished I had more time to shop:D

bartos -- You needn't spend a fortune. I bought a basic black dress on clearance for $25. I've worn it 4 times on 2 cruises (accessorized differently, for variety -- shawls, scarves and jackets can also be bought very inexpensively)

If you're wondering whether you have to wear a dress, the answer is No. Personally, I love the formal pants look (see househunter's picture of dressy pants, above). Next time I got shopping for formal clothes, that's what I'm getting.

Not knowing what ship and length of cruise you are going on makes a difference.

I know I adjust my clothing choices downward on shorter cruises and don't worry so much about formal. I've cruised NCL a couple of times and haven't even bothered with formal clothing, that was nice although I doubt I'll cruise that line again.

If you can find a "little black dress" it can do for formal night. It can be dressed up with pretty heels and jewelry and can go for both nights if you are creative.

Evening seperates also work, so don't hesitate to go that route if dresses aren't working for you. I have a bit of all of it, mostly finding things when I least expect to, always on sale. Don't give up hope and since you are on the computer now, you also have the advantage of online shopping. Just make sure you shop a site that has easy return policies. Nordstrom is one of my favs, they always have a sale section.

I found both my swim suit and my formal dress online. Clik on jacket dresses or special occasion dresses. Then go to your JCPENNEY store and try them on. Mine was a $90.00 dress marked down to $29.99. My daughter insisted I try this red dress on, it's one I would have never thought about buying...we both ended up loving it.

Hi,

I was in Ross this weekend and saw many beautiful dresses for around $20. Please try to go and look at these. There is no reason to break the bank.

Good Luck finding the right suff. I know how important it is to feel good in what we are wearing. I hope it works out for you.

B

Thanks for all your help. We are on a Carnival cruise for 7 days. I just remembered we have a couple stores further out from where I live that I plan on trying next weekend. Wish me luck.

Archived