Does RCCL have anything like this?

On our last Carnival cruise we participated in the Walk for the Cure for Breast cancer and heard that all Carnival ships now have it and raise a great deal for money for cancer research. I just realized I haven't seen anything like this talked about on the Royal Caribbean boards. Is there anything like this offered?

Thanks!

"A charity walk sounds like a great idea".

Oh,oh Yes, we saw that event on Carnival, not yet on RCCL. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I'm tired of everyone with their hand out. I write a check to those charities I support, I don't have to save box tops, cans, walk miles or drop spare coins in a jar to support those charities.

Such causes are great for those that want to participate, why not just write a check? I try to go on a cruise as a vacation and personally don't want it turned into a charity event. Breast cancer is serious, my mother had breast cancer, so are hundreds of other just as important causes. Why just pick out one?

Please, let's not turn cruising into a charity event that we will be made to feel embarrassed if we don't choose to participate in it. JMHO

I have to agree with cruzincurt. There are certainly a lot of needy organizations, but I am tired of being inundated at every turn. I do participate in charity walks at home, but don't want to be "hit up" when I'm on vacation and can't escape the pitch.

Hi - Before our TA in December, I sent a letter to the Cruise Director on the Legend to see if we could arrange a Walk for The Cure on one of our Sea Days.

I never did hear back from him. He ended up being the worst CD we've ever had, so it didn't surprise me.

Hi - Before our TA in December, I sent a letter to the Cruise Director on the Legend to see if we could arrange a Walk for The Cure on one of our Sea Days.

I never did hear back from him. He ended up being the worst CD we've ever had, so it didn't surprise me.

Sandy, you are to be commended on your dedication to your cause; don't take this wrong but I disagree with your good intentions for cruise ships. Why not just let everyone to choose their personal charity, in their own way? I fund my charities of choice without a public fanfare.

Once they let one charity event in, all the others will want a piece of the action. Did you consider that there was maybe a corporate policy involved and not up to the CD? Similar bashing took place after the hurricane hit Costa Maya, regarding why didn't the cruise companies didn't organize a donation and relief effort.

My Mother had breast cancer, I understand, just disagree with the venue.

I can't walk into the grocery store on the weekend without feeling like a heel since I'm not openly supporting the Girl Scouts, or the boys little league, T-ball, the girls softball league or the Knights of Columbus, donating a dollar for this or that....and on and on.

I can't walk into the grocery store on the weekend without feeling like a heel since I'm not openly supporting the Girl Scouts, or the boys little league, T-ball, the girls softball league or the Knights of Columbus, donating a dollar for this or that....and on and on.

Agreed. We get bombarded with requests in our every day lives. I'm looking to "get away from it all" on a cruise. I give to the charaties that I'm interested in giving to through donations and donations of my time. I know that they are all in the name of a good cause (there are plenty out there) but I don't need/want the in your face tactics that many charaties exhibit, especially on a cruise.

Agreed. We get bombarded with requests in our every day lives. I'm looking to "get away from it all" on a cruise. I give to the charaties that I'm interested in giving to through donations and donations of my time. I know that they are all in the name of a good cause (there are plenty out there) but I don't need/want the in your face tactics that many charaties exhibit, especially on a cruise.

I agree with DNA on this, we need time and a place away from the rest of the world. If a cruise becomes too much like every day at home with 500+ tv channels, too many reality games, too many folks panhandling it will not be the nice vacation we all want.

I for one am working with one of the RCCL supported charities to host an event tied to VOS horns moving to the ranch. I wouldn't want such an event on the cruise...and it is NOT about raising tons of donations at the specific event we plan...more about helping the kids involved have a great time... I will continue to pick and support a few charities we like and believe do good with our donations. But I want to keep that separated from the ship and vacation.

I don't know how many of you have actually been on a Carnival ship and done the Walk for the Cure, but I did it a couple of months ago on Carnival Liberty. There was absolutely no pressure to participate, and it was up on the jogging track on the very top of the ship... not exactly grandstanding or something where those not participating would be uncomfortable. There wasn't anybody around "with their hand out," you actually had to walk (by your own initiative) into the formalities shop on the Promenade Deck to contribute, and in turn you'd receive the teeshirt and pink wristband. The walk up on deck was led by the Captain (in his workout attire), who stayed to chat with people for a while afterwards despite it being awfully windy.

I thought it was a great cause and it was a worthwhile event -- I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was tastefully done, and I applaud Carnival's efforts in that regard.

I for one am working with one of the RCCL supported charities to host an event tied to VOS horns moving to the ranch. I wouldn't want such an event on the cruise...and it is NOT about raising tons of donations at the specific event we plan...more about helping the kids involved have a great time... I will continue to pick and support a few charities we like and believe do good with our donations. But I want to keep that separated from the ship and vacation.

Rancher Dave- I'd be interested in hearing more about this. Being a native Texan and whose dad has longhorns (around Abilene) I think that it is really cool that you'll be keeping the horns in Texas and being into your own longhorns, will really appreciate them.

Rancher Dave- I'd be interested in hearing more about this. Being a native Texan and whose dad has longhorns (around Abilene) I think that it is really cool that you'll be keeping the horns in Texas and being into your own longhorns, will really appreciate them.

I can't imagine why you would want to talk about such a charity on the CC boards! I might have to read it and feel obligated to contribute to YOUR charity!

That is the attitude I am seeing on this thread. I think that a walk for the cure is absolutely wonderful. My mother died from breast cancer, and I think I can give up two drinks and a trip to Johhny Rockets to eat food I can get for free in the ding room so that I can donate to this cause.

I am going on a Carnival Cruise in Nov. and I am thrilled that I will be able to participate. Also just for the record, it's not always 100 percent about the money. The money is given to the charity, but just as important is the awareness the activity brings to some that may not be aware of the situation and the seriousness of it.

I really didn't mean your charity is not a worthy one. Of course it is. It is important to you. And guess what, now that you put it out here for all of us to read about, I am aware of it. See education is good and has a place everywhere! Even while on vacation.:)

I think I can give up two drinks and a trip to Johhny Rockets to eat food I can get for free in the ding room so that I can donate to this cause.

I am going on a Carnival Cruise in Nov. and I am thrilled that I will be able to participate. Also just for the record, it's not always 100 percent about the money. The money is given to the charity, but just as important is the awareness the activity brings to some that may not be aware of the situation and the seriousness of it.

:)

Who doesn't know about breast cancer? Again, why does there have to be an organized group activity on a cruise ship? Sit, down, write out a check. IMHO that's more important than walking around in circles on a cruise ship if that's your chosen charity. It's obvious to me that organized charity events are to allow participants to "show they care" and shame others into participating.

My mother and MIL both died of cancer. That's my personal sorrow and I don't care to be reminded of it on my vacation.

My mother died from breast cancer, and I think I can give up two drinks and a trip to Johhny Rockets to eat food I can get for free in the ding room so that I can donate to this cause.

First, my sympathies for your mother. Cancer is a horriable thing and having watched my grandfater die from it (in his case pancreatic), I emphathize with you.

I'm sure that you already do this, but if one feels strongly about the cause, they don't need to be on a ship to do something about it. One can do without in their every day life for good causes. I give time and money every year to the American Cancer Society, among other charaties. Yes, events bring awareness to the cause in addition to money. One reason why I like to cruise is that I am able to leave the troubles of the world behind. There are many great causes out ther and I simply would rather be made "aware" of the problems when I'm at home rather than on a cruise ship.

Finally, what makes one charity more "worthy" than another to be the designated one on a cruise ship? You may have a stronger connection to breast cancer while someone else may be more fond of premature babies. How does the cruiseline distinguish which ones get trolling rights on the passengers? Popularity contest? Impact? Again, I'd prefer that they just leave that at the pier.

Just MHO.

I've been to Labadee once but never ventured out of the main beach area. I understand there's an area where you can shop/interact with locals. I was wondering if its possible to pack some small items (children's clothing and such) that I could bring to that area and just give to someone? To be honest, I could probably pick up 10 or 20 dollars worth of clothing here, nothing fancy, but it would be useful to locals. And yes, like most cruisers we tend to overpack, but I'm sure I could squeeze in a few extra items. Any thoughts? Practical or not? Doable or not?

Who doesn't know about breast cancer? Again, why does there have to be an organized group activity on a cruise ship? Sit, down, write out a check. IMHO that's more important than walking around in circles on a cruise ship if that's your chosen charity. It's obvious to me that organized charity events are to allow participants to "show they care" and shame others into participating.

My mother and MIL both died of cancer. That's my personal sorrow and I don't care to be reminded of it on my vacation.

Would you be ashamed?

A lot of people WANT to participate, if you don't, then don't. It's a choice. As far as being reminded on my vacation? I never need to be reminded.

It seems to me that RCCL has the little program where if you do an activity that involves some sort of excercise you get fake dollars to spend on logo items. I bet if they incorporated the very same walking in a circle for those dollars, people would be doing it, don't you think? And for what? A little key chain or visor that says "ship shape". The walk for the cure is offered for a 10.00 donation. You get a tee shirt and a wrist band. Not like it will break the bank right?

I am just saying that Carnival has a goal to raise 1 million dollars for the cure, when that one million dollars is raised perhaps the charity will be a different one. I think it is a great program, and I for one will be participating in it.

It's true that this event is not for everyone. But for those that will benefit from participating and donating to it, please don't try to minimize their efforts by saying it will interrupt your vacation. Just don't participate. Just like I don't participate in the activities that don't interest me. OK?

I have to agree with cruzincurt. There are certainly a lot of needy organizations, but I am tired of being inundated at every turn. I do participate in charity walks at home, but don't want to be "hit up" when I'm on vacation and can't escape the pitch.

I feel just the opposite. I can't walk in charity events here at home because the ones that I find worth-while are too far from my home to participate in. I would love to do a "walk" while on a cruise especially for breast cancer research. I have too many friends (male and female) who have died or is dieing from this dreaded disease.

And if someone on vacation doesn't want to do it they have the choice to say "no thank you."

I'm sorry but what's the T-shirt and wrist band for? ... To show to others that you care, they don't. I'll just write the check and save them the expense of the T-shirt and wrist band.

I can't stand charities where the bulk of money raised is used to pay administration and the fund raising cost. What is the significance of the "walk" other than to make the doers feel like they sacrificed their time and sweat and other's didn't.

You are correct, I can choose not to participate; it just doesn't belong on a cruise ship in my opinion. A long time ago, I worked for an employer that "forced" everyone to contribute to the United Way via payroll deduction just so the employer could claim 100% support. That is what has soured me to such fund raising.

My dad taught me a lesson about charities; when he was stationed overseas during WWII, the Red Cross charged the soldiers for donuts and coffee, the Salvation Army did not. Pick wisely.

had to jump in

because I've worked on enough of the ships -

Each ship does have a "pet" charity - my current ship they call the "G.I.V.E" - can't remember what the acronym stands for, but we collect money/clothes for the ports/charities that are on the itinerary. Roatan, Labadee and Belize are always in need - I even remember a beach clean up in St Maarten on the Adventure.

Ask a crew member and see if you can contribute this way . . .

Just a few months ago - one of the workers at Labadee had passed leaving a wife and a couple sons - the Grandeur crew raised a couple thousand dollars that went to a scholarship fund for the sons.\

just ask onboard . . . .

Archived