Is it "the ugly american"?

PrincessDreams4P&B

Look, I'm just saying arm yourself with information about where you're going, good information - not necessarily media hype or jaded opinions.

As I said "Be a traveler, not a tourist."

To the OP I do appreciate what you were trying to do, and hope I did not inadvertantly mess that up for you.

You didn't...:D

This topic has weighed heavily on my mind since I took part in a thread on Jamaica. My goal of this thread, IS NOT to get flamed, not to have people sniping at each other as on previous threads..but to see if we as a community of travelers can:

1.Find a way to effectively communicate to new/moderate travelers about a destination without tearing it apart (i.e. the jamaican thread) but not "glossing" over potiental threats.

** I love the island of Jamaica very much but I am very aware that this can be a place you have to have your wits about you. While it would not deter me from going, I am cautious when traveling there.**

2. Is there a way to educate travelers about how especially on a cruise where on the ship, everything tends to be 'Americanized" and we have the same comfort level we enjoy in the States, onboard, and it many of the threads I have been reading, travelers seem to think that they will receive the same thing on islands and in other countries. When they don't, it leads to a bad memory on their part and sometimes an "ugly American" image on those whose country we visited.

**I was such a traveler before moving to Europe to go to college, the year and a half I was over there, I immersed myself into the cultures that surrounded me and learned so much. It changed the way I viewed the world and showed me how the rest of the world sees the US. I was never more aware of this when I was in Rome and a woman was screaming at the top of her lungs at a McDonalds employee because he did not understand English. "I can't believe that you don't have to speak English in an American owned company"..she kept screaming at him. - it made an impression on me as to how some travelers can expect the rest of the world to be an extesion of the US**

Traveling is such a thrill for me and I am so excited to be able to share it with my children. I feel sad when I read that people had horrible experiences traveling when a good portion of them may have had better trips with a small change in mind set..sort of "When in Rome..".

Now let me put my exclaimer on here..I am not singling anyone out just a generalization of many things read over the last few months. I am not saying anything bad about the country that has given me the priviledge of so much and love so dear.

Maybe I am hoping for too much, and have my rose colored glasses on but I think that a healthy conversation can be had on the level of expectations people have when they travel and tips given to give other members insight on how to have a great trip.

See you on the Sea!

Very very well said. As a military wife, I've spent 3 years living in Italy, 4 in Spain. There was no place I was afraid to go, and I took my children with me. We spent time learning the history, the culture, and at least some of the language. It always appalled me to see other military families complain and whine every time they left the base, or make fun of the citizens of our host country for not speaking English. Helloooooo! This is not the US! They don't have to speak English!

As American Ambassadors we should always be aware of our surroundings, how we act, how we treat others. Listen, be polite, and at least try to express ourselves in the language of the country. Hello, good bye and thank you are wonderful ice breakers when you're mispronouncing and obviously trying! :)

I once had the best time of my life trying to speak to a wonderful Italian couple just asking for headache medicine. I never did figure out the Italian word for asprin, but they laughed their heads off at me slapping my forehead and saying "Malo".

Different cultures should be like a treasure hunt, explore and learn and gain something in return. You'll be amazed at how well you're treated when you go with the expectancy of finding something wonderful.

This doesn't mean go trusting everyone completely, it doesn't mean that everyone in every country you visit is going to be nice, and honest. It means go with an open mind, and open eyes, and enjoy the new experiences.

...I was hoping that other CC members could post tips or experiences as to how they were able to have minor issues but not let it ruin their trip...

well, i don't know if my reply is the sort of reply you are looking for as per your post (above), b/c i really didn't follow that recent jamaica thread but i can tell you what happened with me.

in light of recent events in jamaica (meaning the year prior to my sail date which was december '07), i was very concerned about this POC (which, incidentally was not a chosen POC by me, but rather, was the result of an itinerary change by ccl after booking). i was more concerned about travelling with my children than i wld have been if it were just dh and i.

from all that i read it appeared that mo bay, for whatever reason, had more problems than ochos rios. but, this was not to say that ochos rios was without it's share of the same.

we docked in ochos rios and made sure we got a sanctioned cab w/in the gate. we also did a day pass at an AI resort which was very beautiful. we did have issues with the driver trying to jerk us around. i put a fairly swift end to that with my big mouth, and we were on our way.

we ended up walking back to the ship. we did not venture into shopping areas, but i do have to say, it was a fairly decent walk and we did not get hassled by the locals.

all in all, i must say that jamaica ended up being our favorite port. we had a wonderful day at the AI, and the people we did encounter were very nice for the most part. i do wish i felt safe enough to "tour and explore" the island, because it certainly did seem very beautiful. maybe next time, if there is one.

Almost sounds like they do not really need a reason for murder there... :eek:

Yes but being gay is actually a crime in Jamaica, and it is not against the law for a citizen to "arrest" someone who is gay, and if they "resist" you can beat them. It actually becomes a lynching where the person is beat to death and if the police are around they have been known to join in. So once again this pathetic excuse of a country will not be getting any more of my money. I did go there once, but I was ignorant at the time.

Yes but being gay is actually a crime in Jamaica, and it is not against the law for a citizen to "arrest" someone who is gay, and if they "resist" you can beat them. It actually becomes a lynching where the person is beat to death and if the police are around they have been known to join in. So once again this pathetic excuse of a country will not be getting any more of my money. I did go there once, but I was ignorant at the time.

Not to start an arguement, or to derail this thread, but that's happened in the US, and being gay isn't a crime here. Ignorance is universal, and so is bigotry. Unfortunately.

The term "ugly American" is used very often outside of the US.

It was my intent to try and get practical advice for travelers so that when traveling they could help to dispell that stereotype, hence why it was put in quotations. The rest of my post clearly states what my intent was and how it was not.

I am finding more and more on these boards that some people do not read what is actually written by posters and that a snippet of what was said is taken out of context or people are just looking for a fight. I was and still am, extremely interested in helping make the travel experience as easy and enjoyable by giving as much advice as I have learned as well as learning from others who have seen and done more than I.

I do not understand why things are often taken so personally on here.

If people want a fight..try the UFC....I prefer to talk about and learn all I can to make my travel experience all the richer...

I did read what you wrote and you used the term "ugly Americans" numerous times in your post, and I think it is a derogatory term whether it has quotations around it or not. You then followed it up by giving an example of it by posting about the woman who was yelling in McDonalds. To me that implied that you were agreeing with the term to some extent, at least in the sense that you think Americans are responsible for its use. I for one have never witnessed any American acting disrespectful outside the US, in fact the ones that I see bend over backwards to respect the foreign culture. So I don't know where all of these ugly Americans are but they must take different trips than the ones I go on.

The thing I find ironic about people who freely throw around the term "ugly Americans" based on the actions of a few Americans are the same people who go ballistic when a person disparages Jamaica based on the actions of a few Jamaicans. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is?

It is my opinion that the thread the OP is referring to, spun completely out of control. Like many other threads do. The topic was, a member was "searched" by the Jamican authorites getting back onto the ship. This authorities went overboard with the search by feeling and squeezing his private parts. This was done in public, and to most if not all male passengers. While female passengers were searched slightly or not at all, including handbags and purses. The searched man felt obused and he was reporting his view of the situation and what happened to him. This turned into a "I hate Jamacia" thread.

I went to Ocho rios, it was nice, and I had a good time. However, I don't think the "when in Rome" thing works when it is the authorities that are doing the violating. PLUS I do think it is the responsibility of the cruise line to report how they do searches to return to the ship. Then people can make sure they leave the ship expecting and knowing that this kind of thing could happen to them. They sure make it very clear where you should shop and eat while in the port, why not the cautions of the port as well?

Now as far as a few other things I have read here, I have to say why would you wait until you are in another country to be polite and respectful? And as far as me trying to speak their language? Have any of you been to So. Ca. lately? Otherwise know as Northern Mexico? Very few people down their speak english! They are not even trying to speak english, or making sure their kids do. And they get huffy when you don't speak spanish! I worked in a very famous theme park down there, and I can tell you for sure that when foreigners came there, they were rude, didn't speak English. So shouldn't that "when in Rome" theory wonk in both directions?

Anyway, back to the op of this thread. I think a place we could go and learn from the experiences of other cruisers/travelers about the customs and rituals of other countries is a great idea. Especially the ones we would want to avoid so as not to offend the host people.

I think the best advice for cruisers that are not seasoned travelers that I could offer is to take ship sponsored excursions. Thats what I do when I need to feel reasonably safe. This works as well as anything except when reboarding the ship and the authorities are the abusers.

You might want to do a Wikipedia search about same sex relationship laws. As there are MANY countries that ban it. MANY have death as punishment if caught. MANY that you get or use daily products from.

Very very well said. As a military wife, I've spent 3 years living in Italy, 4 in Spain. There was no place I was afraid to go, and I took my children with me. We spent time learning the history, the culture, and at least some of the language. It always appalled me to see other military families complain and whine every time they left the base, or make fun of the citizens of our host country for not speaking English. Helloooooo! This is not the US! They don't have to speak English!

As American Ambassadors we should always be aware of our surroundings, how we act, how we treat others. Listen, be polite, and at least try to express ourselves in the language of the country. Hello, good bye and thank you are wonderful ice breakers when you're mispronouncing and obviously trying! :)

I once had the best time of my life trying to speak to a wonderful Italian couple just asking for headache medicine. I never did figure out the Italian word for asprin, but they laughed their heads off at me slapping my forehead and saying "Malo".

Different cultures should be like a treasure hunt, explore and learn and gain something in return. You'll be amazed at how well you're treated when you go with the expectancy of finding something wonderful.

This doesn't mean go trusting everyone completely, it doesn't mean that everyone in every country you visit is going to be nice, and honest. It means go with an open mind, and open eyes, and enjoy the new experiences.

I couldn't agree more. Nice post. :)

Now as far as a few other things I have read here, I have to say why would you wait until you are in another country to be polite and respectful?

I've been waiting for someone to point this out!

Yes...you are absolutely correct! EVERYTHING I stated about "actions in other countries" ARE ways that I act every single day regardless of where I roam, at least I try to...

That's why I'm respectfully responding to your post :eek:

I was hoping that would be implied :D

So shouldn't that "when in Rome" theory work in both directions?

IMHO, absolutely YES!

I think the point the OP was trying to get across has some validity.

A lot of Americans say the French are rude and they certainly seem that way but most of it is a cultural difference that we as Americans do not understand nor do we try too. Example in France they actually dress up to go shopping. As Americans most of us do not and when we visit their country we do not. They are offended by the way we are dressed to begin with and yes to us they are being rude.

If you are ever in Italy walk up to most locals and start asking them in English if the speak English and a lot of them will give you the cold shoulder. Then try the same thing but ask it in Italian (even very bad Italian) and the response is totally different. Italians as a whole delight when a foreigner attempts to learn and use their language.

I agree with the OP that as a whole when we go on vacation most of us do not even attempt to even found out the basics of customs and traditions of the places we visit. In some cases it's more like we took a road trip to another state not as a guest in a foreign country.

Just my two cents....

I did read what you wrote and you used the term "ugly Americans" numerous times in your post, and I think it is a derogatory term whether it has quotations around it or not. You then followed it up by giving an example of it by posting about the woman who was yelling in McDonalds. To me that implied that you were agreeing with the term to some extent, at least in the sense that you think Americans are responsible for its use. I for one have never witnessed any American acting disrespectful outside the US, in fact the ones that I see bend over backwards to respect the foreign culture. So I don't know where all of these ugly Americans are but they must take different trips than the ones I go on.

The thing I find ironic about people who freely throw around the term "ugly Americans" based on the actions of a few Americans are the same people who go ballistic when a person disparages Jamaica based on the actions of a few Jamaicans. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is?

If you call using it once in the title and then once again in my post " numerous times" and "throwing it around" then you must be reading it over and over to come up with this mass number. So what your saying is..that I should not address an issue because the topic contains words that are inflammatory to you? That makes no sense, the whole reason for the post was to try and dispell that stereotype. It simply does not make sense.The term brings home a point and while it may not be a pleasant term, I do not equate it with words meant to disparage African Americans and Gay and Lesbian cultures. As for agreeing that the particular individual was a poor reflection on me and my fellow Americans..darn straight..what do you think that poor kid thought of Americans after being humiliated in front of his peers and a resteraunt full of people..How would you have felt? How would you have viewed someone if they did that to you?

While you have been privledged enough not to witness rude behavior by Americans I have seen my share of it, but then again, I do not know the extent of your travel history and know that I have been to Europe, Russia, Africa, Japan, China , The Caribbean, Bahammas and 75% of South America. As stated before, I lived overseas and you see a great deal more as a resident than a visitor. I have also seen rude behavior by the French, the Italians, Chinese etc. Rude behavior is not limited to Americans it is a world wide epidemic.

You seems to want to focus on something taken out of context and you are taking it personally..which I do not understand. I cannot control what Jamacains do anymore than I can Americans, however...since this board has a large number of American travelers, I thought it was a good idea to get the topic out into the open, and help travelers go out and see the world with an open mind. I stand by my original post.

I think that a healthy conversation can be had on the level of expectations people have when they travel and tips given to give other members insight on how to have a great trip.

I'm very disappointed. I think the OP had a great concept. I was hoping it would generate more of a honest discussion that I believe is very much needed. Especially with all the fears expressed about traveling to certain destinations. I believe it was absolutely WRONG to move this thread to Jamaica. I understand that this country was mentioned several times, but we already have a thread on the Jamaica board (or several) for posters to express these particular views & fears. I thought this information would be helpful to ALL cruisers, not just those who are heading to Jamaica.

I think it could have been a way to raise awareness of how WE are perceived and the absolute fact that this does matter. It's not only about learning what "they" could do to us, but also that we will also impact them. We will be representing our various homelands while having the privilege to learn about theirs during our visit.

I have to admit that in some of the posts, I was learning how to be a better traveler. I don't need any more help learning how to be afraid or learning how we can pick each poster apart for possibly choosing a word or phrase that makes some of us uncomfortable.

(Here's where I make sure my flame-retardant duds are fully secure)

The term "Ugly Americans" was valid. It is a term that is used all over the world and it breaks my heart. But it IS the term that is used. Yes, this hurts. This hurts us all.

Why can't we all be more alarmed about THAT? Why can't we have an open discussion about ways that WE could improve? Why can't those of us who have not traveled very often out of our country slow down and LISTEN to those who have and what their experience might teach us?

I thought that was a really good idea for a thread...

The (over)reactions of some of the posters is somewhat more a symptom of the problem rather than an argument against such accusations.

Whew! Thanks for letting me vent and, of course, flame away!

PrincessDreams - You have made a nice effort in starting a reasonable conversation on travel, travellers, and behavior.

Does anyone have any comments on why discussions on Jamaica are so polarized and heated? There are other destinations that have had Threads titled like "Never Again Will I Go To (Insert Destination Here)" . There will be some discussion including "I've always had a fantastic time" and "I agree, it's a real hole". Then the thread fades into the sunset.

The thread that you referred to in your original post started out as informative. If you go to MoBay, expect to be searched when you return to the ship. Then it got heated and is up to 400+ posts now.

So, anyone care to comment?

Charlie

As for agreeing that the particular individual was a poor reflection on me and my fellow Americans..darn straight..what do you think that poor kid thought of Americans after being humiliated in front of his peers and a resteraunt full of people..How would you have felt? How would you have viewed someone if they did that to you?

Well I would have thought that the person was rude but I don't think I would have then generalized that all Americans are rude. Are you saying it is okay to generalize about a group of people (be them American, African American, White, Asian, etc.) based on the actions of a few? How many polite and respectful Americans do you think that kid waited on? Probably quite a few.

I have also seen rude behavior by the French, the Italians, Chinese etc. Rude behavior is not limited to Americans it is a world wide epidemic.

Exactly. If you would have written this as an indictment on rude tourists in general, I would have possibly agreed with your post.

You seems to want to focus on something taken out of context and you are taking it personally..which I do not understand.

Yes I do take it personally when (1) I am American, and (2) your post implies that Americans don't know how to act outside of the US and that we all need to be taught by you how to do so.

I understand that you had good intentions in starting this post, but I get frustrated that Americans are always dumped on (and usually by the same people who would defend every other group of people). That is really all I have to say on this, there is no point in continuing to argue, we apparently are not going to changes either person's mind.

Perhaps you should consider the fact that the anti-sodomy laws that concern you so much in Jamaica are common place in a great deal of the Caribbean. Last I heard Barbados, St. Lucia, and the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, as well as Jamaica all still had such legislation on the books.

There are movements afoot to change the laws but change tends to come slowly to these islands.

Condemn all of them if you will but don't single out Jamaica as being an exception when it's not...

So for five years I worked in an American restaurant that had a group of tourists from Ireland visit once a year. Same group, different people. They were drunk, rude and obnoxious, every year. Does this now mean I can call them the UGLY IRish?

Or the Europeans who don't tip, because it's included in their country? They didn't bother to learn our ways or if they did, they don't care to follow them.

My point it not that they are wrong and we can therefore act like them, I am saying IT happens from all walks of life, from all countries there are "UGLY Americans" just substitute another country.

As for not immersing in the culture, I always have tried too. In Paris, no one was ever rude to us. Were they friendly, not overly, but not rude.

I was in London shortly before Paris, they were overly friendly and again never did I encounter a rude person.

For Bermuda, I read up on the traditions, their attire and made sure we didn't offend.

Not everyone does this, as I saw from our visit, but it wasn't just Americans,

Jamaica,

Well my thoughts on why Jamaica is such a polorized topic are this:

It is a proven fact that Jamaica is a rougher island than most others visited by cruise ships and cruise lines wrestle with the ever growing violence/drug trade on the island vs. the warm people and absolutely breath taking scenary.

Some travelers are not comfortable with the overbearingness of some of the islanders and others feel that their rights are being infringed upon because they have had to be the subject of a search (which is their right to do so - not disagreing with that everyone has their own comfort level). For me, in my opinion..it has alot to do with my original post and mindset. If you know, going ahead of time that, yes, I may be subject to a search, and they may be a bit intrusive and have to check in places that while embarrasing are a logical place to stash drugs. That if I travel to Jamaica, I am not in a place where I can be carefree and go where ever I want - then again there are places in Atlanta I would not go, day or night accompanied or not. I think some travelers have had a bad experience and instead of looking at the contributing factors to that (not blaming the travelers, just saying look at the individual facts) that the whole island gets a bad rap.

Maybe I am too much on the other side, because I have had far more positive experiences on the island than not. On our last visit we took our 2 sons who have Autism and Sensory Integration Disorder. I was concerned as to how they would do and how they would be treated. When I explained to our guide, what the boys had, they were treated like Royalty for the rest of our visit and everyone who came in contact with them was gentle, patient and kind. It is something that my sons still talk about and have fond memories of.

I try not to be a "cheerleader" for Jamaica and would never send someone unprepared for a visit there but still feel that the island has alot to offer to those with the mindset to accept certain "conditions of travel" there.

Yes I do take it personally when (1) I am American, and (2) your post implies that Americans don't know how to act outside of the US and that we all need to be taught by you how to do so.

It is apparent that no matter what I say, you are going to find something to pick apart. You have taken it so out of context and gotten so off track of the original point and then on top of it, you personally attack me by saying something.."and that we all need to be taught by you how to do so" , something so unneccessary , when you missed the entire point of my post. It was to generate coversation on how we all could learn from each other (as was stated many times in my many posts). You read something into my post that simply isn't there. I was merely addressing issues that have been brought up on this board numerous times. I cannot explain it to you any simpler. You want to disagree but you and I are talking about 2 different subjects. You want to make me out to be an American bashing traveling diety..and that is simply not the case. I take great offense to what YOU have stated (while you say I have implied but not given any real quote from me to back that up). You keep "speaking" for me as to what I implied and my intentions are..I believe I am a better judge as to what my mindset is/was for my original post.

I stand by my original post.

Now if we can get back to the conversation....

Jamaica,

Well my thoughts on why Jamaica is such a polorized topic are this:

It is a proven fact that Jamaica is a rougher island than most others visited by cruise ships and cruise lines wrestle with the ever growing violence/drug trade on the island vs. the warm people and absolutely breath taking scenary.

Some travelers are not comfortable with the overbearingness of some of the islanders and others feel that their rights are being infringed upon because they have had to be the subject of a search (which is their right to do so - not disagreing with that everyone has their own comfort level). For me, in my opinion..it has alot to do with my original post and mindset. If you know, going ahead of time that, yes, I may be subject to a search, and they may be a bit intrusive and have to check in places that while embarrasing are a logical place to stash drugs. That if I travel to Jamaica, I am not in a place where I can be carefree and go where ever I want - then again there are places in Atlanta I would not go, day or night accompanied or not. I think some travelers have had a bad experience and instead of looking at the contributing factors to that (not blaming the travelers, just saying look at the individual facts) that the whole island gets a bad rap.

Well you pretty much summed it up why we choose not to return.........

Too many other beautiful place to visit without all the bull****. Isn't it great we have choices....

I think the discussion of the term "Ugly American" is very interesting, given the origins of the term. It's not a term made up by people from other countries to describe us, it's the title of a novel and later a movie written by American authors that describes the behavior of Americans who went to work in Southeast Asia. The "ugly" Americans were the ones who made positive changes for the villagers and the "handsome" Americans in the novel were less concerned for the villagers' welfare (see Wikipedia). The term has been completely misunderstood and misused by millions of people worldwide.

Maybe my thinking is backward. But wouldn't it make more sense for the pat downs to be done as you exit the ship? To me people leaving the country with the drugs (no I don't agree with drug use), would be a win win situation....LOL People taking them out of country is happy and the country should be happy drugs are leaving and not entering their country. OK my Flame retardant suit is on....GO

Maybe my thinking is backward. But wouldn't it make more sense for the pat downs to be done as you exit the ship? To me people leaving the country with the drugs (no I don't agree with drug use), would be a win win situation....LOL People taking them out of country is happy and the country should be happy drugs are leaving and not entering their country. OK my Flame retardant suit is on....GO

Because the issue at hand is not about drug trafficking it is about collecting a fine..........

couldnt have said it better!!!!!!!!! thank you

This topic has weighed heavily on my mind since I took part in a thread on Jamaica. My goal of this thread, IS NOT to get flamed, not to have people sniping at each other as on previous threads..but to see if we as a community of travelers can:

1.Find a way to effectively communicate to new/moderate travelers about a destination without tearing it apart (i.e. the jamaican thread) but not "glossing" over potiental threats.

** I love the island of Jamaica very much but I am very aware that this can be a place you have to have your wits about you. While it would not deter me from going, I am cautious when traveling there.**

2. Is there a way to educate travelers about how especially on a cruise where on the ship, everything tends to be 'Americanized" and we have the same comfort level we enjoy in the States, onboard, and it many of the threads I have been reading, travelers seem to think that they will receive the same thing on islands and in other countries. When they don't, it leads to a bad memory on their part and sometimes an "ugly American" image on those whose country we visited.

**I was such a traveler before moving to Europe to go to college, the year and a half I was over there, I immersed myself into the cultures that surrounded me and learned so much. It changed the way I viewed the world and showed me how the rest of the world sees the US. I was never more aware of this when I was in Rome and a woman was screaming at the top of her lungs at a McDonalds employee because he did not understand English. "I can't believe that you don't have to speak English in an American owned company"..she kept screaming at him. - it made an impression on me as to how some travelers can expect the rest of the world to be an extesion of the US**

Traveling is such a thrill for me and I am so excited to be able to share it with my children. I feel sad when I read that people had horrible experiences traveling when a good portion of them may have had better trips with a small change in mind set..sort of "When in Rome..".

Now let me put my exclaimer on here..I am not singling anyone out just a generalization of many things read over the last few months. I am not saying anything bad about the country that has given me the priviledge of so much and love so dear.

Maybe I am hoping for too much, and have my rose colored glasses on but I think that a healthy conversation can be had on the level of expectations people have when they travel and tips given to give other members insight on how to have a great trip.

See you on the Sea!

Archived