Kids in Adventure Ocean When In Port

When in port, I understand that the parents are able to put their kids into the Adventure Ocean kids club and go ashore without them. Is there a minimum age required for this? Anything else that is needed? I'm interested in doing a half day shore excursion that my kids aren't old enough to do (my youngest is 4 years old).

When in port, I understand that the parents are able to put their kids into the Adventure Ocean kids club and go ashore without them. Is there a minimum age required for this? Anything else that is needed? I'm interested in doing a half day shore excursion that my kids aren't old enough to do (my youngest is 4 years old).

There is no age restriction for doing this - merely that the child be AO-eligible. You just have to ask yourself if you are comfortable doing it. You'll get better responses over on the Family board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Our sons asked to stay onboard Liberty of the Seas and go to Adventure Ocean the day that we were in Cozumel last week and they loved it. The staff even takes them to the Windjammer for lunch and Johnny Rockets for dinner (free) - depending on the times you are in port. Only you - and your kids - will know if you are comfortable with this arrangement but for us it worked out well for everyone! Something new (for us) was that everytime we signed the kids in last week they put a bracelet on the kids with GPS locator and they provided free cell phones that work only to call numbers on the ship (not sure if they work in ports off the ship). They would take off the GPS locator when we checked them out and put a new one on the next time...pretty cool that they can 'locate' a kid if they somehow manage to slip away from the group. I can't imagine how a kid would get away from the counselors - they are really great at what they do!

We did this once when our kids were younger. We stopped at Progreso and did the Chichen Itza tour, and our girls didn't want to go, and they were really too young to enjoy it anyway.

We were very comfortable doing this, and had asked the staff in AO about it when we boarded. I had a concern about the AO opening time that morning- it opened 30 minutes after we had to meet for our excursion. They made sure someone was there for us to drop them off. They had a blast.

My wife and I made a decision that if we were off the ship that our five (four at the time) year old would be with us. For us it was not a question of whether or not he wanted to stay. When he was at AO he had a great time and asked us if he could go every day of the cruise. We simply did not want to be off the ship while he was on it. It is a personal decision to be sure and should be made on your comfort level with AO and your child.

My son is now 7 and has been on four cruises since age 4. He loves going to AO and would spend all of his time there if allowed! We have left him at AO for 3-4 hours at a time while visiting some ports without ever having any problems. I agree that this is a personal and serious decision each parent should make for themselves. One consideration for us is which port we are in--when we recently visited Mobay, some parents actually regretted taking their children off the ship with them.

Thank you all for your comments. I think we're going to go ahead and leave the kids in AO for the 4 hours while we are on our excursion. We are going with friends, so all the kids (6) will be together in AO. I know from past experience that my oldest son has always loved AO and is quite happy to be there. This will work out perfectly for me because I will also have time to take the kids to the beach in the morning for family time.

Archived