sea sickness medication in australia

Does anyone know what the best sea sickness medication is that can be bought in Australia or NZ? A lot of people talk about Bonine but I cannot buy this in Australia.

You can buy "Sea- Legs" over the counter (no prescription) in NZ. The active ingredient in them is Meclozine Hydrochloride (12.5 mg per tablet), which I think is the same as in Bonine. Maximum dose is 2 tablets per day, but I usually find one is sufficient.

They may cause drowsiness, so I take one just before going to bed at night.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know what the best sea sickness medication is that can be bought in Australia or NZ? A lot of people talk about Bonine but I cannot buy this in Australia.

people on here also talk about ''kewells'' and ginger tablets

go to the p&o australia site on here and do a scearch you will find a few different choices

You can buy "Sea- Legs" over the counter (no prescription) in NZ. The active ingredient in them is Meclozine Hydrochloride (12.5 mg per tablet), which I think is the same as in Bonine. Maximum dose is 2 tablets per day, but I usually find one is sufficient.

They may cause drowsiness, so I take one just before going to bed at night.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Celle and Wombat 50 - very helpful.:)

There are a few sea sickness remedies in Australia,

As mentioned,

Kwells

Travacalm - ginger

Also

Dramamine

Avil

Phenergan

There are possibly more that I can't think of right now.

Linda

That should get me started, thanks Linda, and Mochuck.:)

Hi Cruisechickee,

I just returned from a NZ/Australia cruise in Jan. 08. I was so proud that I never got sea sick, as I do very easily. I have tried every suggestion out there. The best advice I have for you, as to not to fight that yucky feeling . When I start getting that feeling in my head and stomach I go lay down. This seems to work the best for me. I have tried to fight it many times with bad results. It used to take me a long time to recover.

A lot of people were sick on our cruise on one formal night, the dining room was empty. I also find bouncing my legs up and down while sitting helps. Weird I know, but it helps me.

Good luck,Halo

Hi Cruisechickee,

I just returned from a NZ/Australia cruise in Jan. 08. I was so proud that I never got sea sick, as I do very easily. I have tried every suggestion out there. The best advice I have for you, as to not to fight that yucky feeling . When I start getting that feeling in my head and stomach I go lay down. This seems to work the best for me. I have tried to fight it many times with bad results. It used to take me a long time to recover.

A lot of people were sick on our cruise on one formal night, the dining room was empty. I also find bouncing my legs up and down while sitting helps. Weird I know, but it helps me.

Good luck,Halo

That is very helpful Halo. Great you never got sea sick :D

Because this will be my first cruise, I don't know what to expect. I've only been sea sick once on a boat and that was in a rather large storm and it was a small boat. Other times I've been on boats where everyone got sick apart from myself and one other. I'm hoping for the best...

Hi Cruisechickee,

It sounds like you will do just fine.

I hope you have a great first cruise. You surely will be hooked on cruising after this. It is so much fun!! We started cruising in 1998, and have finished our 16th.

Take care,Halo

Because this will be my first cruise, I don't know what to expect. I've only been sea sick once on a boat and that was in a rather large storm and it was a small boat. Other times I've been on boats where everyone got sick apart from myself and one other. I'm hoping for the best...

Think positively:) . The motion on a cruise ship is so different to that of a small boat, and much easier to cope with. I delayed and delayed my first cruise because I was convinced I would be seasick. On my first cruise I was so anxious I almost made myself sick.

Gradually as I relaxed and learnt to 'go with the flow' so to speak, I was fine, and have been ever since.

I hope you will be too.

Have a great cruise.

Steve.

CruiseChickee--I noticed the Mercury shop had Bonine, so maybe other ships have it,too. I brought my own.

We were expecting it to be rough crossing the Tasman Sea, but the rough seas started as soon as we left Sydney. I went to my room after main seating and took a Bonine and stayed put all evening. Took another pill the next morning and it did the trick. I didn't have to lie down all day. Didn't read though until all was calm again. Just the one evening and part of the sea day. The Tas. Sea was totally calm--go figure.

I believe Dramamine has a non-drowsy formula available.

CruiseChickee--I noticed the Mercury shop had Bonine, so maybe other ships have it,too. I brought my own.

We were expecting it to be rough crossing the Tasman Sea, but the rough seas started as soon as we left Sydney. I went to my room after main seating and took a Bonine and stayed put all evening. Took another pill the next morning and it did the trick. I didn't have to lie down all day. Didn't read though until all was calm again. Just the one evening and part of the sea day. The Tas. Sea was totally calm--go figure.

I believe Dramamine has a non-drowsy formula available.

Thats good to know, thanks. Wow, so it didn't take long until you left Sydney before you experienced rough seas... Glad it calmed down though.

gb :)

Another tablet that you can buy here in Australia is Avil. If you are worried at all, I would take a quarter of a tablet before the ship left port. Once out on the seas, any tablet takes a long time for their effect to work.

Avil can make you drowsy but if you just take a quarter or a half a tablet you will be fine.

I fortunately have only been sea sick once and that was when I was 15 and on my first cruise with my parents. We came out of a very calm Port Philllip Bay into an extremely rough Bass Strait. I was sick for over 24 hours and it was only when we docked in Adelaide that stopped my sickness. We went ashore for the day. The world rocked up and down but since then I have never ever been seasick and we have sailed in some huge seas, one being from the South Falkland Islands to the Antarctica Peninsula in a Force 11 gale!

I can still remember that horrible feeling when you know that if only the ship or boat would stop you would be fine. In those days they gave us green apples and dry biscuits to eat.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

I get terribly sea sick and have tried just about everything on the market. The best and most successful treatment I have used was the Kimite patches that you put behind your ear. They last 72 hours and contain 1.5mg Scopalamine. Unfortunately they are not available in Australia but I stocked up on them when I was in Hong Kong recently. You can buy them over the counter in the pharmacy there and they worked beautifully with no side effects.

Kellie

I get terribly sea sick and have tried just about everything on the market. The best and most successful treatment I have used was the Kimite patches that you put behind your ear. They last 72 hours and contain 1.5mg Scopalamine. Unfortunately they are not available in Australia but I stocked up on them when I was in Hong Kong recently. You can buy them over the counter in the pharmacy there and they worked beautifully with no side effects.

Kellie

Wow, that's interesting how some countries have such different medicine restrictions, glad to hear they worked well. :)

GB

I was given some patches when I was on the Tahitian Princess last year by an fellow passenger ( a doctor from the USA). I then started noticing that lots of passengers were also using them so they are obviously freely available in USA as well. I only wish that I had bought some with me on my recent Vietnam cruise - we had some very rough seas. As we disembarked in Hong Kong, the patches were on the top of my shopping list!

kellie;)

I was given some patches when I was on the Tahitian Princess last year by an fellow passenger ( a doctor from the USA). I then started noticing that lots of passengers were also using them so they are obviously freely available in USA as well. I only wish that I had bought some with me on my recent Vietnam cruise - we had some very rough seas. As we disembarked in Hong Kong, the patches were on the top of my shopping list!

kellie;)

Maybe those patches are available in New Zealand. Were you travelling through a storm on your Vietnam cruise? Hey I suppose it can get rough anywhere anytime. I go on my first cruise in less than 2 weeks. :D

Maybe those patches are available in New Zealand. Were you travelling through a storm on your Vietnam cruise? Hey I suppose it can get rough anywhere anytime. I go on my first cruise in less than 2 weeks. :D

Patches in NZ are not available without a doctor's prescription.

Even then, there can be a difficulty with supply - recently, there were none available in the country, even with prescription. Something to do with delayed shipment orders from the drug company.

Patches in NZ are not available without a doctor's prescription.

Even then, there can be a difficulty with supply - recently, there were none available in the country, even with prescription. Something to do with delayed shipment orders from the drug company.

Hi Celle,

I think I will stick to buying Sea Legs when I am in NZ. ;) Thanks for info.

GB

Archived