My 10 yr. old daughter wants to know...

krznkim

Can someone please tell me, what would happen if my daugter threw a bottle overboard? Her 4th grade class wants to write a letter and when we are at sea, throw it overboard and see if it ever is found. Kinda cool idea, but not sure if allowed?? Does anyone know or have suggestions?

Thanks!

It depends where you threw the bottle. If it was in the Caribbean Sea eventually it would wash up on the shore of one of the closest islands, say St. Thomas, St. Martin or perhaps Tortola.

If the bottle was tossed into the Atlantic Ocean depending on the currents it could possibly float all the way to Europe or perhaps the United States. That's my guess.

Cruiserking

Actually my 3 grandchildren are planning to do this on our cruise in May. They are in the process of composing a letter to put in the bottle. I didn't want to burst their bubble, but I was wondering if it is ok to throw it off the ship into the ocean??

Can someone please tell me, what would happen if my daugter threw a bottle overboard? Her 4th grade class wants to write a letter and when we are at sea, throw it overboard and see if it ever is found. Kinda cool idea, but not sure if allowed?? Does anyone know or have suggestions?

Thanks!

Let the class write their letter - take it with you when you go ashore - ask a friendly cab driver/waiter/etc if they have children and see if they will take it to the local school. Obviously the cab driver/waiter/etc will have to tell the children that he found the bottle on the beach;)

Did it myself in Barbados a couple of years ago for my daughter:D She was thrilled to get a letter.

Well I didn't think it was ok to throw the bottle overboard. We'll have to think of something else.

By the way, a friend of mine and her 2 sisters had their father cremated and took his ashes on the Miracle with the intention of throwing the ashes into the ocean. They went up on deck on a windy night (as many nights are ) and when they tried to empty the box into the water, the wind just blew the ashes back on them. Needless to say, they were horrified.

Have we considered: More broken glass on the beaches?! That is what happens when the waves slam bottles against coral, then wash the fragments up onto the beach. So someone gets sixteen stiches in the foot on vacation; how romantic can it be?

They went up on deck on a windy night (as many nights are ) and when they tried to empty the box into the water, the wind just blew the ashes back on them. Needless to say, they were horrified.

I shouldn't have laughed but I did! How awful. I guess Dad wasn't ready to let go yet!

Have we considered: More broken glass on the beaches?! That is what happens when the waves slam bottles against coral, then wash the fragments up onto the beach. So someone gets sixteen stiches in the foot on vacation; how romantic can it be?

Agreed, but I'm guessing perhaps the OP was planning on using a plastic bottle. At least I would hope so. It is a cool idea, in fact if you do a search I think there was a thread about someone who had done it and gotten a response. It may have been on the Princess board if you want to check for it.

That being said, it is against the rules to throw anything overboard and it does amount to littering our ocean so I would think it through carefully before you make a decision. Maybe there is a better way to go about it.

You are not allowed to throw anything off a ship...even something that appears harmless.

Sending messages via bottle is a fun thing to do. I've done it myself. Just don't throw it from the ship. There are cameras everywhere, and you will likely have to answer a bunch of questions if you throw anything overboard.

OK, my grandkids will have to make another plan

Why don't you have them write a letter and copy it. You could ask the dining room staff if you could put them randomly around the dining room tables for people to answer--give them a stamped envelope. They would get alot of answers from all around the world! Don't know if it would be allowed, but it might be fun to try!

Go ahead and throw the darn thing out of the ship. It will not cause harm to fish, human, or anything. Do you have any idea how much crap is floating around the ocean? People need to stop trying to be so "correct & sensitive" about anything environmental related. It's a freakin bottle. Flame me please.

Anyway. I know someone who tossed a wine bottle message off the Enchantment o/t Seas somewhere in the middle of the gulf. He got a call from someone who found it in Miami four days later before the ship was even back in port.

Go ahead and throw the darn thing out of the ship. It will not cause harm to fish, human, or anything. Do you have any idea how much crap is floating around the ocean? People need to stop trying to be so "correct & sensitive" about anything environmental related. It's a freakin bottle. Flame me please.

Anyway. I know someone who tossed a wine bottle message off the Enchantment o/t Seas somewhere in the middle of the gulf. He got a call from someone who found it in Miami four days later before the ship was even back in port.

All I can say is WOW! I do hope others read this and I do hope you do get flamed...lol YES it could to do harm to living things in the ocean, Whales could swallow the bottle if it was in the area of a feeding.

Just so you know, you could be fined big time if you were to get caught tossing ANYTHING over board.

Archived