Really wanting to go on my first cruise, but I have some questions.

Wardo8551

First of all, I would like to say that this board is very informative. But I just have a few more questions that I would like to get clarified.

My family and I travel a lot, yet we have never done a cruise. It is always has been something I've wanted to do, and now I'm wanting to go next year with my girlfriend, and possibly some other friends.

• The RC Freedom line absolutely fascinates me, but it looks like you have to be 21 on RC? Is this the case on most lines? Are there any line that accepts 18 year olds (the legal age in my province and my age)

• As well, all we have ever done is AI trips, and there your "fare" includes everything; your food (be it the buffet, or restaurant or anything) drinks, whatever.
    So, what does your fare include on the ships? To my understanding it is your food and room, and thats it. My question is, does that include all the other restaurants on board? For example, I know there are other restaurants on RC such as Johnny Rockets, an Asian one, and others. Does it include that?
  • I'm a bigger guy, so the all you can drink is a huge plus for me at AI's. So I think I'd be smuggling booze on board. Is this too hard to do? Anyone got any tips/tricks?
  • Lastly, what do you find is the "just right" length for a cruise? I've heard that you can get bored and you don't want to go for anything much longer than 5 days. Now, after reading up on this site, I can see that that might be totally wrong. So let me know!

Thanks a lot everyone, and sorry if this post is too long.

I am not an expert, but I don't know any cruise line that would book you a cabin if you are not at least 21 years old. So, unless you have a parent going with you, and I am sure you don't want that, you are probably going to have to choose a different vacation.

Since you can't book a cruise, I won't address the rest of your questions, as they are irrelevant.

My family and I travel a lot, yet we have never done a cruise. It is always has been something I've wanted to do, and now I'm wanting to go next year with my girlfriend, and possibly some other friends.

• The RC Freedom line absolutely fascinates me, but it looks like you have to be 21 on RC? Is this the case on most lines? Are there any line that accepts 18 year olds (the legal age in my province and my age)

I'm still a newbie cruiser, but from what i've heard, you need to be at least 21 or have a parent with you. While on Carnival last week, they stated that the "kids" could stay across the hall or next to the parents room.

• As well, all we have ever done is AI trips, and there your "fare" includes everything; your food (be it the buffet, or restaurant or anything) drinks, whatever.
    So, what does your fare include on the ships? To my understanding it is your food and room, and thats it. My question is, does that include all the other restaurants on board? For example, I know there are other restaurants on RC such as Johnny Rockets, an Asian one, and others. Does it include that?

Carnival has [as i'm assuming other lines have] a 'reservation only' dining room. All others are free, with the exception of this lil dessert/coffee bar ... and that was quite reasonable.

• I'm a bigger guy, so the all you can drink is a huge plus for me at AI's. So I think I'd be smuggling booze on board. Is this too hard to do? Anyone got any tips/tricks?

It's easy to do. but -- if you are under 21 and you get caught smuggling .....

• Lastly, what do you find is the "just right" length for a cruise? I've heard that you can get bored and you don't want to go for anything much longer than 5 days. Now, after reading up on this site, I can see that that might be totally wrong. So let me know!

Thanks a lot everyone, and sorry if this post is too long.

Bored?? Heavens no. a 7 day, you are really only on the cruise 6 days. For us, that was 3 days in port, 3 full days on the ship. I have to admit... i dont think in that time i fully explored the entire ship.

You can stay as busy as you want, or do as little as you want.

and even though i've never done and AI, one huge difference i see is, you get to go to various ports [countries, islands, etc.] where in an AI, you are in one spot.

HTH

tcs.

Thanks everyone for your responses already. Upon a bit more searching I found this:

The lowest minimum age requirement for any cruise line is 18. The following cruise lines require that at least one person in each cabin is 18 or older: American West Steamboat Company (Majestic America), Cruise West, Cunard, Delta Queen (Majestic America), Fred. Olsen Cruise Line, Oceania, P&O Cruises, Peter Deilmann, Regent (Radisson) Seven Seas Cruises, SeaDream, Star Clippers, and Uniworld.

from http://www.*****.com/cruise_age_requirements.cfm

Which would you guys recommend out of those lines? I really had my heart set on RC, but I guess that will have to wait till I'm 21.

You may want to check the prices and intineraries of these lines you have listed. Some are very $$$$$. Look at the prices for Cunard, Regent, SeaDream, Star Clippers, Oceania, etc. You may find them a bit off putting, to say the least. I think you might, as an 18 year old, feel a bit out of place on the cruise lines I've listed.

If your purpose of vacationing is to drink and eat, I honestly think at this point, you should stick to an AI land based vacation.

Most cruise lines have a strict drinking age of 21 and if you are caught smuggling or drinking, they can put you off the ship. Keep these things in mind when making your decision.

The minimum age on MSC is also 18 if there are no American ports.

Being Canadian and understand the frustration with American alcohol consumption laws, I would suggest that you wait until you are 21 even if you were allowed to buy the ticket. Unless you want to take a cruise to/from Europe, where on both MSC and Costa you will be able to drink and treated with the respect and freedom according to Canadian citizens over the

age of majority.

My strong suggestion is to go with a land based vacation. Cruiselines aren't amenable to people drinking under age, or smuggling booze onboard. There have been too many people who overdo it then fall overboard.

Trust me ... I remember being 18 and partying all night. I'd have definitely fallen overboard! It's far safer (and cheaper) to do the land based. None of the affordable cruiselines offer liquor included fares.

My strong suggestion is to go with a land based vacation. Cruiselines aren't amenable to people drinking under age, or smuggling booze onboard. There have been too many people who overdo it then fall overboard.

Trust me ... I remember being 18 and partying all night. I'd have definitely fallen overboard! It's far safer (and cheaper) to do the land based. None of the affordable cruiselines offer liquor included fares.

While I don't agree with you on the fact that me or any of my friends would be like that and go overboard, (Haha, we like to drink, but we also know when to call er' quits if we've had way too much.) I do now agree with you that I guess my cruise vacation will have to wait till Im 21.

Well that sucks:(, you Americans really need to adopt the 18 year old age of majority!:rolleyes: haha

We had legal drinking at age 18 and it just didn't work.

If you looked at the prices of the cruise lines that would allow you to book, that to me would be the bigger problem; not the American legal drinking age.

While I don't agree with you on the fact that me or any of my friends would be like that and go overboard, (Haha, we like to drink, but we also know when to call er' quits if we've had way too much.) I do now agree with you that I guess my cruise vacation will have to wait till Im 21.

Well that sucks:(, you Americans really need to adopt the 18 year old age of majority!:rolleyes: haha

Years ago the drinking age was 18 in the USA because I had turned 18 during that time and was able to go to any bar/lounge and drink, it was later on that they changed it to 21, honestly can't remember when but I am 44 now if that tells you anything about how long ago it was, haha.

I'm Canadian ... and from what I've been told, several of the provinces are seriously considering upping the age to 21. That won't affect you because you'll be "grandfathered" in.

Thanks everyone for your responses already. Upon a bit more searching I found this:

from http://www.*****.com/cruise_age_requirements.cfm

Which would you guys recommend out of those lines? I really had my heart set on RC, but I guess that will have to wait till I'm 21.

You really don't want those steamboat lines as those aren't really cruise ships, they're really old fashioned paddlewheel boats that cruise rivers. The Fred Olsen boats aren't cruise ships either, but river cruise boats. Same for the Dielmann line boats---they are not cruise ships but riverboats that cruise in Europe. Sea Dream is VERY, VERY expensive, probably one of the most expensive lines out there. Cunard isn't the kind of line that younger people tend to go on and they are definitely not party ships, and don't allow smuggled booze. Radisson and Oceania are upscale lines and are very expensive, so if a budget is important, those lines are out. Star Clipper are upscale sailing vessels and not true cruise ships.

My best advice is to wait until you're 21, or else fly to Europe and take a cruise from one of those ports where the drinking age is 18.

I'm Canadian ... and from what I've been told, several of the provinces are seriously considering upping the age to 21. That won't affect you because you'll be "grandfathered" in.

That's news to me. It's counter intuitive. The incidence of drinking and driving is lower in countries where the drinking age is lower, not higher. In fact it has dropped faster in countries with lower ages faster than in countries with higher ages.

Any province that is suggesting this to take a good look at the realities. It doesn't work.

. The incidence of drinking and driving is lower in countries where the drinking age is lower, not higher. In fact it has dropped faster in countries with lower ages faster than in countries with higher ages.

Any province that is suggesting this to take a good look at the realities. It doesn't work.

I agree with you 100%. Seems here in the states we have a history of ignoring the evidence.

The Reagan administration forced states to adopt the 21 age or lose highway money.

You really don't want those steamboat lines as those aren't really cruise ships, they're really old fashioned paddlewheel boats that cruise rivers. The Fred Olsen boats aren't cruise ships either, but river cruise boats. Same for the Dielmann line boats---they are not cruise ships but riverboats that cruise in Europe. Sea Dream is VERY, VERY expensive, probably one of the most expensive lines out there. Cunard isn't the kind of line that younger people tend to go on and they are definitely not party ships, and don't allow smuggled booze. Radisson and Oceania are upscale lines and are very expensive, so if a budget is important, those lines are out. Star Clipper are upscale sailing vessels and not true cruise ships.

My best advice is to wait until you're 21, or else fly to Europe and take a cruise from one of those ports where the drinking age is 18.

Agreed. The lines listed tend to cater to an older crowd with fairly refined tastes. If you've been eyeing Freedom of the Seas, these lines probably aren't your cup of tea. I'd give it one more year at an AI resort or wherever and book next year... maybe a birthday cruise?

As far as the minimum age goes, yes many ships have a minimum age of 21 and will only accept passengers younger if there is a "responsinble" adult over 21 with them (whatever that is!) For many of the European's lines it is a different story as they will accept booking where passengers are 18 and a few even 16. If you don't want to go far afield (ie europe) then most of these lines have ships operating in the Caribbean and other parts of North America either all year round or in the winter,

never sailed with RCI so can't comment on what their price does or doesn't include. With other lines it varies. With most alcohol is extra unlee you go on the real luxury end 6 star type cruises or an all inclusive package. Normally though the fare includes cabin all meals and snacks and soft drinks (may be limited) and tea/coffe when taken with meals. Some charge extra if you have food delivered to your cabin, Some also have speciality retaurants where there is a cover charge but some don't . most entertainment is free (shows ets) Use of the gym and pools are also free. Expect to pay to use spas, steam rooms, sauna etc. Some cruises also include flights and transfers between ports and airports. orgainsed shore excursions are always extra but it's more fun, more flexible and a lot cheaper just to get off and do your own thing (Unless you are in Russia where you can't or Istanbul or Tunis where I wouldn't recommend it)

As for length of cruise, I've done several 7 nights, a few 11 nights and a 19 night repositioning voyage and was never bored on any of them. There is so much to do on and off the ship, that i just don't know where the time goes. I'm about to do another mamoth repositioning one in a few weeks and can't wait. I have never tried one of the round the world ones that take about 90 days (cant get that much time off work or I would). One factor to bear in mind, is how far you have to travel and time changes. I certainly would not fly 13 hours and face a 5 hour time change for anything under a week - just not worth it - it's time to go home by the time your body clock has adjusted.

Have a look at a few of the cruise lines websites and I'm sure you'll be able to find something to suit you

You can sail under 21 if you are married.....maybe you should pop the question to your girlfriend. :p j/k, but seriously, married couples under 21 can sail on RCI.

What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy? s.gif A: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required). Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age.

Years ago the drinking age was 18 in the USA because I had turned 18 during that time and was able to go to any bar/lounge and drink, it was later on that they changed it to 21, honestly can't remember when but I am 44 now if that tells you anything about how long ago it was, haha.

Actually, it wasn't national. I grew up in a "21" state that bordered an "18" state. I believe I was 18 when that state went to 21 but I was grandfathered. Still couldn't drink in my home state, but at least I could go to the drive-thru "over the line" and bring some home. I'm 42.

I agree with you 100%. Seems here in the states we have a history of ignoring the evidence.

The Reagan administration forced states to adopt the 21 age or lose highway money.

Which explains why the rest of the world has national health. But I digress...

You can sail under 21 if you are married.....maybe you should pop the question to your girlfriend. :p j/k, but seriously, married couples under 21 can sail on RCI.

Seriously folks, this is discriminatory. More than 30% of people in Quebec are common-law. To have to get married for a cruiseline? Not going to happen.

Actually, it wasn't national. I grew up in a "21" state that bordered an "18" state. I believe I was 18 when that state went to 21 but I was grandfathered. Still couldn't drink in my home state, but at least I could go to the drive-thru "over the line" and bring some home. I'm 42.

Hundreds of University of Vermont students come to Quebec every weekend just to drink. Same with SUNY Plattsburgh.

I agree with the general comments. Most of the cruisers will be older and the other smaller ships like the Delta Queen will not allow you to drink. I have been on that boat as a child (with my grandparents) and it was pretty sedate and very little to do outside of swimming and seeing cities on the Mississippi River. May have changed in the last couple of years, but at your age you'll probably be watched a little closer than most. A European vessel might be worth a shot, but again a different kind of cruiser.

The minimum age on MSC is also 18 if there are no American ports.

Being Canadian and understand the frustration with American alcohol consumption laws, I would suggest that you wait until you are 21 even if you were allowed to buy the ticket. Unless you want to take a cruise to/from Europe, where on both MSC and Costa you will be able to drink and treated with the respect and freedom according to Canadian citizens over the

age of majority.

Interesting.

We are British (Min age 18) & sailed in Europe (18 also) on MSC last year with our 20 year old son.

Whilst there was never a question of serving us with orders which obviously included a pint for our eldest, the wait staff were not comfortable with him signing for the order & invariably asked for either my, or DH's cruise card instead.

Archived