Sheer Hose Style Report

Jane110

I know that some here don't like sheer hosiery. Though they never went out of style, they did lose some popularity in the past few years and bare legs became acceptable for both day and evening.

In today's WhoWhatWear column, you might like to know that they're back in popularity. However, they're now called "sheer tights" instead of sheer hose. Well, a rose by any other name............. :)

http://www.whowhatweardaily.com/website/home.php

Jane,

Do you know of any good brands to try that are super sheer?

Maybe come in control top too?

thanks

Politely butting in...

I wear Hanes Absolutely Ultra Sheer pantyhose in Natural...you can't even see them once they're on, at least on my skin tone. I get them at Dillard's. :)

Pfft. "sheer tights"... I notice the ones on the webpage cost 37 bucks. I guess that is the difference between "sheer tights" and 3-for-5-dollar pantyhose.

:p

A pantyhose by any other name will still get the runs.

Jane,

thanks

I like Calvin Klein sheer hosiery and they're not expensive and sold in all dept stores.

Oroblu is my favorite brand though they are pricey. Sold at Saks and other dept stores. They don't seem to snag or run as quickly as the other brands and they feel really good on the legs.

http://luxelegwear.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=22

The terms 'hose' or pantyhose never caught on in the UK, it's either tights or stockings. :)

We use all 4 basic terms here:

Tights - heavy hosiery, go to the waist

Pantyhose - like tights, but sheer

Stockings - sheer or opaque, but only go to thigh and are held up by garter belt (or as you say, suspenders).

Thigh hi's - like stockings, they go up to the thigh, however, they have a rubber/silicon top and so they stay up without garter/suspender.

Thanks for the update Jane. In the cooler months, I like to wear sheer hose with dresses and skirts. I just feel more polished- not to mention my white legs can be blinding! Glad to know I'll be "in style". Now I just have to get used to the term "sheer tights."

I hope you had a fabulous trip to Paris.

Jane,

thanks

If you have CVS pharmacies in your area, try their brand called "Bare". They come in several colors and sizes, and in contol top and regular.

They fit great and are absolutely sheer on the leg. Good fit and wear and VERY reasonably priced (I think they are $2.99 ) - CVS often runs coupons or 2-for-1's. I stock up then.

I cannot remember the last time I even wore 'sheer tights' but the last time I wore tights I had to put tape in my shoes to keep from sliding out of them.

Very curious about this tape. Can you be specific? I had the same sliding-out problem. Thanks.

I don't think that the article is suggesting that sheer, skintone pantyhose is in style. The pictures show sheer grey, black, colors, fishnets, patterns, seams, etc.

I recall a recent article in a fashion mag showing tights with open toes, usually peep-toes. The "must-do" is that the tights be a contrasting color to the shoe, unless wearing black/black.

LOL yes!! We stop them running by a quick application of clear nail polish :D

Works the same this side of the pond. ;)

Thanks for the update Jane. In the cooler months, I like to wear sheer hose with dresses and skirts. I just feel more polished- not to mention my white legs can be blinding! Glad to know I'll be "in style". Now I just have to get used to the term "sheer tights."

I hope you had a fabulous trip to Paris.

I think hose under dresses are a more polished look too. Not with sun dresses or denim skirts, etc, but with others.

Paris was just fabulous! It's always warmer than NY, but this was exceptional. Sunny, warm and about 50 degree's. People were having lunches in outdoor cafe's. People were starting to wear some spring colors (lots of orange) and btw, I didn't see one bare leg. Legs were covered in black opaque tights or sheer hose.

I saw the Christian Lacroix fashion exhibition which was exceptional!

Years ago we called them nylons, then pantyhose. When I started wearing scrubs years ago, got rid of the pantyhose and wore the anklet cotton socks in duty shoes. Since I stopped wearing them I can't stand them anymore. I wear slacks in winter or bare legs in summer. I really could care less what the "fashion folks" say. If I kept up with that I would go broke changing wardrobe every season.

I really could care less what the "fashion folks" say. If I kept up with that I would go broke changing wardrobe every season.

Then why are you bothering to read a fashion board?;)

Not caring about fashion or what's in style is just fine....certainly your choice.

But this is a fashion board and the people that visit here like to come and share information and ideas. I put the post up as interest for a group who do enjoy knowing what's in or out. I haven't seen anyone here yet who doesn't make up their own mind as what's best for them personally, but we all do enjoy sharing what the trends are.

I'm also on a wine board, though I personally don't drink white wines. I don't go into a middle of a discussion about Sauvignon Blanc and say, "Who cares? I only drink reds". :)

Archived