Enrichment Classes on Transatlantics -- Summit

judy&steve

We are booked on a Transatlantic (San Juan to Southampton) at the end of the month on the Summit. We are signed up for the roll call, etc. I was wondering about the activities offered on sea days. Most recently, we sailed on QM2 and they had all sorts of classes to keep me occupied. Primarily, I am interested in art classes -- painting, sculpture and such. Have any of you who have done crossings remember such classes? Or others?

We are booked into a concierge class veranda cabin and I am a little nervous about the small size of it. We are have been accustomed to slightly larger cabins and this one looks really, really small. I feel my claustrophia setting in already!

I'm hoping for some interesting classes.

Thanks in advance,

Judy

We are booked on a Transatlantic (San Juan to Southampton) at the end of the month on the Summit. We are booked into a concierge class veranda cabin and I am a little nervous about the small size of it. We are have been accustomed to slightly larger cabins and this one looks really, really small. I feel my claustrophia setting in already!

Hi Judy,

True, the Concierge Class cabins don't stack up to those wonderful Princess Grill Suites, but I can offer one suggestion: The Concierge Class cabins on the aft of the ship have huge balconies. The cabins themselves are the same size as others everywhere else on the ship, but the oversize aft balconies can be a great cure for claustrophobia! Go to Celebrity's website as if to make a new on line booking for the March 29 sailing. When you get to the area to select which accomodation type to choose, you'll see a box where you can plug in the number of any specific cabin number you're looking for. The aft Concierge Cabins are 9201, 9162, 9160, 8185, 8172, 8170, 203, 7208 and 7206. Two years ago we were on the Constellation Eastbound Spring Transatlantic and could only get a standard Concierge Class cabin when we booked. I plugged in those aft cabin numbers on a daily basis, and lo and behold, one popped up about two weeks before we sailed. Once I found it, I ran to the phone and called our TA and she was able to switch us to it. With so many sea days on a Transatlantic crossing, those oversize balconies really make a difference. So while it may seem futile this close to departure, you just never know....

Hi Judy,

True, the Concierge Class cabins don't stack up to those wonderful Princess Grill Suites, but I can offer one suggestion: The Concierge Class cabins on the aft of the ship have huge balconies. The cabins themselves are the same size as others everywhere else on the ship, but the oversize aft balconies can be a great cure for claustrophobia! Go to Celebrity's website as if to make a new on line booking for the March 29 sailing. When you get to the area to select which accomodation type to choose, you'll see a box where you can plug in the number of any specific cabin number you're looking for. The aft Concierge Cabins are 9201, 9162, 9160, 8185, 8172, 8170, 203, 7208 and 7206. Two years ago we were on the Constellation Eastbound Spring Transatlantic and could only get a standard Concierge Class cabin when we booked. I plugged in those aft cabin numbers on a daily basis, and lo and behold, one popped up about two weeks before we sailed. Once I found it, I ran to the phone and called our TA and she was able to switch us to it. With so many sea days on a Transatlantic crossing, those oversize balconies really make a difference. So while it may seem futile this close to departure, you just never know....

Thanks Bryan and Gary,

Our cabin is really far aft, but not a true aft. I'm one of the few people in the cruising world who dislikes an aft balcony. Why you may ask -- well, we got a coveted Grand Suite on the Serenade a few years ago and it was a nightmare. Too far too walk and an odd configuration to the cabin itself. It was disorienting to sleep in the bed so I wound up on the couch every night. Funny thing is we are one cabin away from a corner aft balcony. This ship is larger than the Serenade, I haven't gotten any younger (the walking) and my TA is having some really horrible personal issues right now and I don't want to bother her. We're content. It will work out fine because I can't bring the numbers of suitcases that we brought aboard QM2 (six or seven not counting carry-ons) since we are flying. I'll have to make do with less closet and floorspace. Ah, the things we last minute people do for the sake of well-priced travel....

Hoping to learn to sculpt on the crossing, but I'll bring some colored pencils and a sketch pad. And, there was that book I've been meaning to write!:D

--Judy

Hi Judy,

Beav, you didn't mention the handicapped CC cabins in your list (9164, 8176, 7212). Is that because you cannot reserve them unless you're handicapped? If so, how long do they hold them before releasing them to anyone who wants to buy?

Archived