Recent Den-Rus Travellers

jakzak

Next year we will be sailing on the Constellation (July 2) and are thinking of booking a tour with DenRus, since the feedback has been very good. In order to confirm, DenRus is asking for full names and addresses of people traveling along with passport information. I was wondering if this was normal. Just want to make sure that giving passport info over the internet is wise.

Thanks for all your imput.

Jakzak-Alan

We used Den-Rus this summer. They were terrific. They asked us for the all of the passport data, full names and maybe date of birth (my memory is failing). Bottom line - it is normal. Remember, DenRus is essentially your visa. If you are not on a ship't tour or a tour with RO or DR, you must have a visa to enter Russia. Once you confirm with DenRus and they have your data, they will mail you a "ticket" (it literally looks just like a ticket for the theatre or ballet) for each person in your group which serves as a visa. When you get off the ship and go through Russian immigration, you hand them your passport and ticket. If you are spending both days with DR, they will send you two tickets. We were very satisfied with DenRus services. My only warning is that our first day, which was by dar the busier of the two, we never had time to stop for lunch. I didn't mind too much - St. P was definitely worth a growling tummy but you might want to consider a doggie bag from the ship. I think you will have a great time - happy sails.

Gail

Yes, that request is normal. I think they have to have it in order to do the paperwork required to guide you around Russia. Since you don't have to get a Visa if you use them, I assume they submit the info to the authorities and it keeps you legal. We used Denrus this August and it was a great experience. They guide was extremely willing to talk about Russian current events/politics and knew Russian history inside and out. A fascinating two day tour for us. We had tw young children and they were very flexible, including scheduled lunch stops.

Just want to make sure that giving passport info over the internet is wise.
The questions of whether it is wise to provide passport info via the Internet and whether it is safe to provide such info to DenRus or Red October are two quite different questions. I am convinced that both DenRus and Red October are reputable companies, and I have no problem trusting them with passport details. However, I have chosen not to email such information, because such data goes through many unidentified servers between here and there. I have chosen to take the more conservative approach of either faxing or snail mailing such information in this day and age of rampant identity theft.

I am referring to the vulnerability of email in the paragraph above. If a company has a secure website, I have no problem with providing info via that route.

--Jim--

I am guessing that there aren't many people who used both so that comparison may be difficult. I can only tell you that I used DenRus and had a fabulous experience with them both in the planning stage and actual event. I was the designated "administrator" for my group and so I did all of the arrangements. My contact was Ilya and he was an absolute delight to deal with. In the 2 months pre-cruise I must have sent him a dozen e-mails asking all kinds of inane questions (ex: do I need rubles to use the bathrooms). I received a prompt, courteous rsponse to each and everyone. Frankly, I chose DenRus because they appeared to be "number 2" and thought they might try harder. I am pretty confident that whoever you use, you will not be diappointed. St. P is amazing.

Gail

Archived