Food Allergies - Milk and Eggs

My son is allergic to Dairy Products which makes it difficult when eating out. Disney Cruiselines went above and beyond to make him special meals like pancakes and waffles for breakfast...and the always had Soydream Ice Cream for his desert. We've taken several Disney cruises just for this exceptional service. This May we are sailing on RCCL's Explorer. Does anyone have any first hand information on how well we can expect RCCL to accomodate passengers with food allergies. We called RCCL, but they merely read the same script that is on the website. Any input is greatly appreciated.

My son is allergic to Dairy Products which makes it difficult when eating out. Disney Cruiselines went above and beyond to make him special meals like pancakes and waffles for breakfast...and the always had Soydream Ice Cream for his desert. We've taken several Disney cruises just for this exceptional service. This May we are sailing on RCCL's Explorer. Does anyone have any first hand information on how well we can expect RCCL to accommodate passengers with food allergies. We called RCCL, but they merely read the same script that is on the website. Any input is greatly appreciated.

This is from the RCCL allergies, Glutenfree, Vegetarian,fat Low, website.

s.gif

Food & Beverage

s.gif

s.gif

Q: What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer?s.gif

A: We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate special needs such as: ,Food allergies, Gluten-free, Vegetarian (except for vegan/macrobiotic), Low-fat, Low-sodium

Lactose-free/soy milk, Ensure, and kosher meals are no extra charge. All you have to do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing. Just send an e-mail that includes the guests' names, reservation ID number, ship's name and voyage date to the relevant address below:

Food allergies - foodallergies@rccl.com

Kosher meals - kosher@rccl.com

(Kosher for Passover meal requests MUST be received 60 days in advance in order to be accommodated.)

Indian-style vegetarian meals - Indianvegetarian@rccl.com

Gluten-free/celiac meals - glutenfree@rccl.com

Fax requests may be sent to 305-539-6018 Attn: Special Meals Request

E-mails will receive an automated response. Faxed requests will also receive a response provided the guest provides an email address. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are faxed or e-mailed less than 45 days of sailing are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

Please note: Baby food and infant formula are not provided on board.

Guests may not bring on board any food items other than baby food and/or dry, nonperishable snack items (cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc).

Call RCCL as it says on their website.

You should also speak to your Head Waiter as soon as you are at your dining room table. He is the person who will arrange for all the meals to come out for your child the way you request them. He will go over the menus with you the night before and you can select the right foods that he can eat.

Email special_needs@rccl.com and tell them your request.

We emailed them about a special bed arrangement for my DH's back, and they emailed back, plus the staff on the ship was well aware of the request.

Talk to the head waiter at your table the first night, and make sure you know how to get his food at open seating breakfasts and lunches, and in the Windjammer.

I have a medium-to-severe lactose intolerance, and I always take Lactaid tablets when I travel. You never know what's included in the ingredients, so it's like a little protection for me.

When you fill out the online check-in forms, just select the appropriate diet from the drop-down. They are happy to accomodate, but you need to let them know before the cruise...it's easy to do when you fill out the forms online.

Thanks for the information. This is in-line with what we read on RCCL's website.

However...does anyone have any stories to tell (good or bad) regarding what level of service we can expect when they "accomodate" food allergies. There is a big difference between having soy milk available for your rice krispies versus a chef who is willing to make a special meal from scratch.

It would be great to hear some real experiences!

Thanks for the information. This is in-line with what we read on RCCL's website.

However...does anyone have any stories to tell (good or bad) regarding what level of service we can expect when they "accomodate" food allergies. There is a big difference between having soy milk available for your rice krispies versus a chef who is willing to make a special meal from scratch.

It would be great to hear some real experiences!

A lady at our table last year had the same allergies and at the end of dinner each night they would bring her the menu for the next night to review. The waiter was very knowledgeable about what was in each dish and he made his recommendations.

I also have numerous food allergies. Before sailing on the Explorer I e-mailed the special request address. I was told to speak to the Matre'd upon boarding which I did. The first night my head waiter approached me and told me that he would take care of me. I was given the next day's menu the night before and we planned my dinner making substitutions as necessary. They were very accommodating.

I have severe allergies and my youngest son - 3 at the time of the sailing last 5 on our upcoming voyage is very very allergic to the protein in milk. Soy milk was available on request and the Windjammer staff knew him on-sight and brought the special milk without even having to have me ask (it took a day and a half...)

Our headwaiter knew my allergies ahead of time as we had noted them on our booking from experience. Ask about ANYTHING you are unsure of and - if there is something he wants ask for alternatives...

The Adventure Ocean staff were fabulous too there were 3 kids there with food allergies - no issues or problems they fed them what they were allowed to have. My son is allergic to - gasp - chicken protein as well - so ONLY beef hot dogs and they were very good to let me know the ingredients and a report of what he had and had not eaten.

I know how scary it is for a parent of a child with allergies. I found the staff on our boats more than accommodating.

Would love to hear after how it goes.:o

Definitely write them at foodallergies@rccl.com

Be sure to state ship, sailing date, confirmation number, etc.

This is what I received in response ... (along with a confirmation that they had received my e-mail)

Once on board please meet with the Maitre 'D and Windjammer Cafe Manager to review the menus and identify those items that need to be modified or avoided. They will be happy to assist you and will forward your concerns and needs to the galley.

All items prepared for guests with food allergies are handled separate from

the main food production.

It is recommended that guests with specific food allergies not eat in the

Windjammer Café as there is a risk of cross contamination of food items.

Please note that if you choose to go into the other restaurants other than

the Main Dining Room please meet with the Manager for that particular

restaurant to go over the food items with you regarding your food allergies

before eating.

The ship's medical facility has the necessary medication and equipment to

treat guests with allergic reactions. However, guests are reminded that any

necessary medications need to be with them at all times.

Soy milk, lactose free milk and vanilla-flavored Ensure they are free of

charge. If you have not done so already please provide your vessel name,

voyage date, and booking ID number. Your request for these alternative

drinks will be forwarded over to ship. Please note we do not specify brand

name, type or flavor for the Soy milk or Lactose free milk.

Guests are allowed to bring on their own supply of dry, nonperishable food

items such as cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc. They may also

bring on their own individual packets of salad dressings. Guests may not

bring on board any potentially hazardous food items.

(Items that require refrigeration, freezing, reheating, or storage by the

galley.)

I just got back from a 12-night on the Explorer today. I am allergic to sugar cane and baker's yeast. I was a little nervous about my food selections, but, I contacted RCCI via fax and e-mail 3 months prior to our departure.

The first night at dinner I let our head waiter know about my food allergies and the maitre'd came over to our table with a list of passengers with special dietary needs (preprinted). My name was on it with my allergies.

I too was given the menu the night before and was told to pick whatever I wanted and it would be made specifically without yeast or sugar cane. (Including soups which have yeast extract in most of the chicken or beef bases).

There was ALWAYS sugar-free desserts on the menu plus our head waiter brought me my "usual" sugar free ice cream & fresh mixed berries in addition every night. He also suggested certain foods, etc...

The food service staff definitely went out of their way to accommodate my dietary restrictions and special needs.

Jen

I'd recommend you speak with the head waiter as soon as you can, before the ship leaves port, just to make sure they have the types of ingredient replacements (i.e. soy/lactose-free milk) your son needs on the ship. I didn't have a good experience with the ship knowing what my accommodations were that the land portion of RCCL definitely had (it had been faxed to them twice many months before the cruise and I double-checked that they had all the info. several weeks before the cruise - yet they still got/did everything wrong). Thankfully, I didn't need special food ingredients - just an ingredient left out and that was taken care of easily.

Archived