Liberty of the Seas or Mariner?????

We are tossing the two ships around for a cruise in May. Have not been on either. Any pros or cons would be greatly appreciated. Not too concerned with the ports as we have been on the Eastern side way too many times. We are simply looking for details on the ships themselves.

Also, Jr. suite or balcony? Haven't been in a Jr and was wondering if the extra space is worth the extra $$$$$$$$?

Thanks to all who reply!!

Cheers,

Sue

Hi

we are a family of 4 and were actually on both last year.

Had JR on Mariner - loved extra space - especially with 4 of us - closet was big!

On Liberty we had D1 balcony - had enough room - but missed that extra space - but I wouldnt pay to upgrade the differnce was big! - rather have more spending money!

I loved both ships - not sure if you have children - Liberty has flow rider and water zone for little ones

Liberty has Ben & Jerry's, and Pizza place (cant remember name)

I didnt like how they ran Quest on the Liberty - that may have been CD though!

You will enjoy with either!

Have fun!

Lil

Sue, how many will be staying in your cabin?

If it's just two of you a regular balcony room should be plenty of room, but if you have a third (or especially a fourth) I'd go with the JS!

Of course, if it's just two of you and the $$$ isn't much of a burden, go ahead and give the JS a try! As for the two ships, you can't go wrong with either. I personally loved Liberty, and I also loved Navigator (Mariner's nearly identical sister).

We were on Liberty in December and Mariner last week. Had a category D1 on both. Also had 3rd person sailing with us (3 adults in the cabin) for each. Plenty of room for all of us and our over packed suitcases. Had an AFT on Mariner and the balcony was HUGE. Plenty of room for the two chairs AND two lounge chairs AND the table. On the Liberty we were forward Starboard and the balcony wasn't as deep.

We prefered the promanade on the Liberty. Thought it was better laid out. Just wish they wouldn't do all their "parties" in the promanade, it gets way too crowded.

Personnel on both were wonderful....each ship had a "sour grape" and some truly outstanding personnel.

Have taken Liberty and Explorer to several of the same ports (Eastern). Loved them both, what can we say! The FlowRider was cool, but we didn't use it. Liberty was crowded, but not overly so that it bothered us, I'd say. The promenade was bigger on Liberty but Explorer's was just as impressive, IMO.

If you are a family with kids who are tall enough for FlowRider, they will love it. If you are a couple, Explorer is plenty big and grand enough for first-timers. Can't wait to go back this fall.

Pics for both ships in my sig.

here's another angle, instead of worrying about size for the price, consider going on Mariner because at the end of this year she leaves the East Coast and you won't have a chance to sail on her unless you fly to Los Angeles. Liberty will be on the East Coast for a while, you can catch her later.

Have sailed on both Mariner and Liberty (and Freedom.) I give Liberty the edge, but both are great fun ships, so itinerary and home port should be considered.

I love Freedom Class ships because of the Flow Rider and think, for kids, the H2O Zone can't be topped. I don't even do the Flow Rider, but I get such a kick out of watching the antics there. Plus, if you stand at the top of the Flow Rider bleachers, especially the ones that very back, you have an incomprarable view for leaving ports.

The ice skating show is amazing. Well, Mariner's is too, actually. The theaters on both the ships is spectacular, but again I give Freedom Class ships the edge. They are state-of-the art for cruise ships.

I love the Prominade parades. Liberty had a super cool pirate parade the last night. Feedom Class ships have a Prominade "bridge" that they use for parades and parties that moves up and down. I don't think passengers can access this bridge, but it does add an extra element to parades and other activities.

Also Freedom Class ships have the notorious boxing ring and punching bags. Well, it doesn't seem to interest many, but you never know.

Some speak of the crowding on Freedom Class ships, but I have seen more crowding on smaller Royal Caribbean ships. You can find crowds at certain times and places on almost any cruise ships, such as when a theater show ends or outside the dining room before the door opens.

I do give the edge to LIberty, but I honestly believe you will have a memorable time on either ship.

Archived